• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fleece Saddles - Thanks Just Some Dude and Sam potter!!!!

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
I am in the process of making various sized fleece saddle (to include some fall gray from Predator). I think I can get the comfort without quite as much material as in the original post. I plan on having a semi-permanent Amsteel bridge that comes on/off for easy washing of the saddle.

My rock climbing harness weighs in at about #1. I will use it for climbing and a fall restraint device. I will attach loops for one platform, 1 stick as I currently use on my saddle. I like the idea of nothing being on my saddle and being able to turn in it 360. There is nothing you cannot do in the saddle that you can do with any saddle. I can easily walk around trees with it, I can turn 360 with it, I can pre-rotate it for off hand shots.... this thing is fantastic. I will experiment with attaching a NON-load bearing waist belt just so I can keep it in place as desired - but from what I experienced thus far - probably totally unnecessary.

Once I set my platform the fleece saddle will be my hunting saddle bearing my "leaning weight). For those of you that think fleece is not strong enough - Try it out. it does stretch a bit but there isn't no way you are going to rip fleece. My saddle will be double layer fleece with all hems sewn and then I will use the gather/girth hitch method using smaller Amsteel continuous loops that are permanently a fixed to my 1/4 Amsteel bridge. This thing has a build in back support and the adjustability is endless.

I fully accept this is not for anyone - but many this has taken my current preferred method to a whole new level. At some point, I am going to experiment with the sports netting as I used in my hunting hammock chair video. One of the biggest advantages - besides being dirt cheap, is that I can make as many as I want and wash them easily after each hunt. The connection method I will use (video will be coming) makes it easy to remove the bridge system from the fleece saddle. Hunt, pop off the bridge, attach to new saddle, hunt... repeat as many times as desired only limited by the number of saddles you make or how quickly you can do laundry. And we all know how quiet fleece is.

Excited about this system to say the least. Thanks Just some Dude and Sam Potter - great idea!

I'd love to see some pics when you get them done. I think it's a great idea!

Will do, as soon as my friend gets some sewed up I will begin experimenting with various sizes and then make a video on which way I am heading. The real good news is that anyone can go to Wal Mart, buy fleece and make these WITHOUT ANY SEWING if they choose. That is what I am doing right now. It will blow your mind when you feel how comfortable these are - or at least it did mine.

Last edited:
This was on my agenda to do this summer already so I am really looking forward to your detailed info. Seems like a fellow could reduce weight and potentially increase comfort all while lowering cost. Thanks Dave!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m not sure what fleece you’re using, but the fleece we tried from Predator didn’t survive.

Thanks
Boswell

I’m not sure what fleece you’re using, but the fleece we tried from Predator didn’t survive.

Thanks
Boswell

No offense but I will try it (Predator Fleece) out for myself and report back. I have used it (predator fleece) for years as my backpack with absolutely no problems and I carry my platform in it, and strap my sticks to it and to date I have never torn a hole in it. I have boned out meat and carried 50# or so in it with no internal frame - held up fine. My Dwight Shuh pack (100% fleece) is almost 3 decades old and it still is completely intact with no holes and I have used it to pack a ton of things. even rolled down a few slides with it. Polar Fleece as a fabric, is amazingly strong and it works well in this application. I believe Sam Potter used his for the entire year so he can chime in as to how well his fleece stood up. A 5-10 dollar hunting saddle, that can be made with material found locally with a little instruction, speaks for itself.

I've been thinking about from Sam's posts, I'm curious how you will do it without sewing, and the removable amstel sounds cool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about from Sam's posts, I'm curious how you will do it without sewing, and the removable amstel sounds cool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
There are videos that show how to fold them without sewing. Sewing just makes them look better IMHO. Flecce doesn't unravel when you cut it like most other fabrics.

As for the Amsteel, I make my bridge with two locked loops. Then I attach the smaller Amsteel continuous loops by girth hitching them to the bridge loops. then I have a clever little trick to attach them to the saddle (I will share when I make the video)

Why not use 1/4" Amsteel for everything, even the continuous loops? There's no real reason to use 7/64".

Are you going to use an Amsteel soft shackle to add/remove the bridge?

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Why not use 1/4" Amsteel for everything, even the continuous loops? There's no real reason to use 7/64".

Are you going to use an Amsteel soft shackle to add/remove the bridge?

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I've done it both ways but the smaller Amsteel bites better. You could just as easy use the 1/4 inch bridge with two fixed loops and bypass using the smaller continuous loops

Not using a soft shackle this method is so simple it is silly and works better then a simple girth hitch. I am sure others have done it I simply call it a double girth hitch which can be made in a fixed loop solving the age old question how do I attach the second bridge loop w/o a carbineer.

Last edited:
Impress me @DaveT1963 and I'll buy one.
Sounds cool.

I doubt I can impress anyone - but this is such a simple saddle build that produces a great, comfortable saddle for under ten bucks if you have the Amsteel already. And it was justsomedude and Sam potter that posted it here so they deserve all the credit.

I am in the process of making various sized fleece saddle (to include some fall gray from Predator). I think I can get the comfort without quite as much material as in the original post. I plan on having a semi-permanent Amsteel bridge that comes on/off for easy washing of the saddle.

I fully accept this is not for anyone - but many this has taken my current preferred method to a whole new level. At some point, I am going to experiment with the sports netting as I used in my hunting hammock chair video. One of the biggest advantages - besides being dirt cheap, is that I can make as many as I want and wash them easily after each hunt. The connection method I will use (video will be coming) makes it easy to remove the bridge system from the fleece saddle. Hunt, pop off the bridge, attach to new saddle, hunt... repeat as many times as desired only limited by the number of saddles you make or how quickly you can do laundry. And we all know how quiet fleece is.

Excited about this system to say the least. Thanks Just some Dude and Sam Potter - great idea!
0a32f014d3b539b309e1f7fa4b4ecebc.jpg

Dave, you're only 2 years and 4 deer behind, but welcome to the fleece saddle club!

Attachments

• 5c859a2f1a66810fd0a8ffdf14133e54.jpg
    5c859a2f1a66810fd0a8ffdf14133e54.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 188

My rock climbing harness weighs in at about #1. I will use it for climbing and a fall restraint device. I will attach loops for one platform, 1 stick as I currently use on my saddle. I like the idea of nothing being on my saddle and being able to turn in it 360. There is nothing you cannot do in the saddle that you can do with any saddle. I can easily walk around trees with it, I can turn 360 with it, I can pre-rotate it for off hand shots.... this thing is fantastic. I will experiment with attaching a NON-load bearing waist belt just so I can keep it in place as desired - but from what I experienced thus far - probably totally unnecessary.

Once I set my platform the fleece saddle will be my hunting saddle bearing my "leaning weight). For those of you that think fleece is not strong enough - Try it out. it does stretch a bit but there isn't no way you are going to rip fleece. My saddle will be double layer fleece with all hems sewn and then I will use the gather/girth hitch method using smaller Amsteel continuous loops that are permanently a fixed to my 1/4 Amsteel bridge. This thing has a build in back support and the adjustability is endless.

I do love Predator camo like to see this but I would definitely want a waist belt and some way to have a lineman's belt. Can't wait to see it.

I do love Predator camo like to see this but I would definitely want a waist belt and some way to have a lineman's belt. Can't wait to see it.
Linemans belt for me is on the RCH

Last edited:
Back