• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Hoist / Lift Attachment

Cyder

Hey all, I've been fiddling for awhile with my method of attaching my gear to my lift rope. I was using a 25' section of paracord and tying a knot to lift my bow and untying it when I get it into the tree, but recently I bought a Muddy gear hoist and it is very similar to they Doyle's one. It came with a few flimsy carabiners but I'm trying to DIY a much better option, so this thread will serve a my progress record as well as brainstorming. It may be a small thing but after work hours are short :/

So we already have the knot and simple carabiner option but these have some flaws:

Knots: high fiddle factor, easy to mess up in the dark, some pull lines don't take knots well.

Carabiner: high noise potential, light carabiners are breakable, strong carabiners are heavy (relatively)

Here are some images of what some haul lines come with:

Doyle's Gear Haul:
IMG_3115.JPG

Flaws: more fiddly than a carabiner but still has noise factor although small. Potential to break esp. in cold temps.

Some Hawk Gear lines:
IMG_3116.JPG

Flaws: some have reported the rubber wire being too flimsy and coming undone from gear. Although I like this option the most It would need beefing up.

Objectives:
Rock solid gear attachment, fail proof (dropped gear is not an option,) the lighter the better, no noise, usable in the dark.

If you have any input / Ideas please share!

GMA-014---High__23486.1456496188.1280.1280.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3115.JPG
    IMG_3115.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3116.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 73
  • GMA-014---High__23486.1456496188.1280.1280.jpg
    GMA-014---High__23486.1456496188.1280.1280.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I'm using a 24ft dog leash from and tied a vet taped S biner to the end, the leash stays attached to my pack, get to the tree, put my bow down clip to the leash and get climbing. I will never go back to a pull rope.

I'm using a 24ft dog leash from and tied a vet taped S biner to the end, the leash stays attached to my pack, get to the tree, put my bow down clip to the leash and get climbing. I will never go back to a pull rope.

Same with the Muddy retractable gear lift, when using a pull up rope the extra as I pulled it up would get wrapped around all sorts of things, my boot, my pack, some branches, everything. This eliminates that problem as it retracts as I pull it up.

Although I am planning on replacing the line in it with either 95 or 375 paracord or similar utility line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to hy-jack, but that dog leash is a great idea! Good ideas on this thread

My hands have been abraded by using paracord for a pull up rope. I am thinking of pulling everything up at once on the tail end of my climbing rope.
I am currently tying the tail end of my climbing rope to my bow and paracord to my pack. I would also like to raise my pack last and lower it first. I currently do the opposite since my bow hook is attached to my pack so I need some place to hang it after I pull it up. That way, when that deer shows up early first thing or at the last minute of hunting time, I am not looking down at the deer and my bow both on the ground and me up a tree. :grinning: I guess a hook to raise and lower whichever I decide would work best.

I have been using a Doyle’s gear hoist. Yesterday I lowered my bow down and as soon as my bow touched the ground they Doyle’s attachment came undone.

I am a little worried and trying to come up with ways to mod a new attachment point.

I am a little worried and trying to come up with ways to mod a new attachment point.

Exactly why I started this thread.

To start this process I have first removed the metal clasp holding the loop that was likely to fail as @enkriss experienced. I used a figure-8 knot for reliability. Although I plan to replace the line entirely with Dyneema (such as zing-it)

Pics
46e726c8d48742abff950994a56f8e2c.jpg

2a9205a1c96cf1bc334d37d2c7caec8c.jpg

fd627630f1737c1dbb80083799194ec9.jpg

aa2673198ce3c624a718debe7d3b4e7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Doyle's hoist but I cut the plastic connection off. I used a nite ize gear tie to replace it with. Works like a champ and is quiet.
What size gear tie? I've seen some in reviews of gear hoists with that feature say that the tie dropped their gear.

12 inch. I haven't had any issues. I pulled up my bow and pack at the same time with it. You just need to make sure you put enough twists in it.

I was going to just put a loop in the end and run it through my cam/riser/limbs and go over my stabilizer.

Not trying to hy-jack, but that dog leash is a great idea! Good ideas on this thread
I bought it to see if I liked a self retracting solution and figured If i liked it enough, once It broke I would have confidence in dropping the money for a Doyle's hoist

I have been using a Doyle’s gear hoist. Yesterday I lowered my bow down and as soon as my bow touched the ground they Doyle’s attachment came undone.

Doyle’s strap or rope? I am at a loss as how it could come undone. I have the strap version, and, for me, have never had this issue. I am not saying it is not feasible, but when putting together, the weight of what is being hoisted makes the connection tighter.

I usually have my crossbow and daypack attached, so the weight I hoist may be much more than yours.

Glad your bow did not suffer damage.

I'm using the Doyle's gear hoist, flat nylon strap version and I think it's a great option.

There is stitching on the gear hoist attachment that you can remove and tie a knot instead to ensure it doesn't come apart and I'm including a screenshot below for reference:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/Jruw05ww

It's served me well so far pulling up my bow and backpack at the same time

I have a 16 foot retractable dog leash with the strap. Is is worth it to just attach a 10 foot piece of cord to the end to get to 26 feet? The 24 foot retractable leashes are very bulky. the 16 footer I have is medium bulk.

That sounds like a really crafty idea

Paracord is so cheap that I think you have nothing to lose by trying to DIY this and see how it goes

...Then let us know so we can try it too!

I have a 16 foot retractable dog leash with the strap. Is is worth it to just attach a 10 foot piece of cord to the end to get to 26 feet? The 24 foot retractable leashes are very bulky. the 16 footer I have is medium bulk.

I think it defeats the purpose of a retractable hoist. Now you would have to manage that 10 foot of paracord.

Back