• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gun Hunting from a saddle

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
Yep I have also used those hinged bow holders. The short ones what fold up to 6" or so

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
I shoot inside 100yds, but just holding the gun against the tree is all I need. I watched a guy free hand his xbow at a 70yd elk target and grouped awesome. Try getting where you can use the tree.

Reactions: pathing

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014
I've used the tree and my trophy line tree strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brydan

Oct 15, 2015
I carry one to hang my rifle/bow on in the tree, but they also make a good rifle rest. I have hunted with a rifle out of my web for a few years. I haven't had a shot over 50 yards though. In fact most shots are within bow range, with my biggest buck at 10.

I'm the same way, I don't care what I'm hunting with, I like to hunt where they're all in bow range!!

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
I gun hunted (20ga slug shotgun) from my Saddle last season - that's how I got my first saddle deer! I found that if I lock my elbow against my abdomen it makes for an excellent and stable shooters rest.

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
Feb 28, 2014
Utah
YOUTUBE
UCfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ
I have taken a few deer with a rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader from the aero family. You have no issue with it, should be good I have added a clamp on rifle holder, like for an ATV to the end of the real tree bow arms to hold and steady my gun more. I think there is a picture of it on here some where.

Thanks,
Boswell

Attachments

• Flintlock Doe Saddlehunter.jpg
    Flintlock Doe Saddlehunter.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 100

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
With the right orientation you can use the tether to steady your rifle. But if I have a rifle, I just sit on a hillside and get my elevation that way. I mostly hunt hills with logging trails and connecting deer trails.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
I have used rifles and pistols and shotguns from the saddle. Any of the above mentioned methods work for me. If I can, I use a tree step or bow holder screw in as a rest though, as first choice