• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How heavy is your scouting or hunting setup?

IkemanTX

My initial reason for switching to saddles instead of a lone wolf or XOP was to reduce the amount of weight I was carrying. I got a pretty good drop in weight when I initially dropped the lone wolf, but gained a chunk back when I built the DaveT1963 platform.
I am dropping another good chunk of weight dropping the sticks for bolts as well. But, I think that after ropes, carabiners, and Ropeman1's I am pretty close to the original weight I started with on my lone wolf and sticks. It is, however, far less bulky, and much more ergonomic.

This year, I put together a new hunting/scouting backpack and was very surprised at just how heavy it ended up. I have an assortment of small things like a knife, milkweed for checking wind, pens for tags, a hand chain saw for trimming... I also carry a trail Cam, a Dewalt drill with extra battery for drilling trees, an EZ Kut hand drill, a single hawk helium stick, one aider for the stick, my Sit Drag, 2 linesman belts, 25 bolts to set trees up, and a 2L hidration bladder.

Total setup for scouting is 29.6lbs

I couldn't believe how heavy it got! How much weight do y'all drag around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, but I find as it gets colder my pack gets heavier. Adding extra layers, warmers, muffs, hats and gloves. I bet I carry 20 pounds pretty often. But my lone wolf weighed that before I added any personal gear

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A lot of my weight could be reduced with a more compact, lithium battery drill. I am using an old heavy cordless.

My pack with all my camera gear with XOP platform strapped to it is around 22lbs. SitDrag with all ropes and stuff is 3.5 and my climbing spikes are 4lbs. That's all I have and carry the same thing pretty much every hunt. If it's real cold I have my attic shield boot blankets and Sitka Fanatic vest strapped to the pack as well but that doesn't add but maybe another pound or so.

I will say, even though my scouting setup is heavier than its ever been, the new backpack distributes it so well it is more comfortable than any other setup I have had. I can't say enough about the 5.11 rush 12. Dang thing is a tank.

This is the ironic thing to me about everyone going to platforms because they add more bulk and weight.

My heaviest set up is my climbing sticks set up. The 3 sticks come in around 7 pounds, another 1.5# in cranford rope steps, and another pound for my strap on platform. I bring a small daypack with minimal gear on most hunts now. As it gets colder I need more layers and that is where I really start to bulk up.

The funniest thing is, my hunting pack will be significantly lighter than my scouting pack due to dropping the drill, the single stick and aider I use to hang cameras, and all the trimming gear.

That's kinda backwards since I'm covering so much more ground during scouting...

When I walk to get in shape i use my lw alpha and a 20 or 25lb plate. If my real scouting/hunting gear were heavier Id be strapping my weight plate to it. Im carrying sticks, rc harness, lineman belt for saddle or tree stand hunting. For sure my minimalist saddle and tether are way lighter than the platform of my lw alpha. My xop platform is tiny compared to the lw alpha platform, yet still carrys my sticks nicely. Scouting out of season on private land, I carry a fanny pack and screw in steps/tool with rc harness and lineman, along with folding saw or pole saw.

Backpacks are heavy and bulky on my back, screwing up my method of carrying my gear. I hunting all season with the felosophy that if it didn't fit in my pockets or around my neck, I didn't need it. Guess what, I managed and enjoyed getting back to the simple side of hunting.

It looks like hunting set up and scouting set up are going to be one in the same with the sit drag...Assuming temps under 70*. Over that I'll ditch the platform for scouting.

XOP Platform, Sit Drag, Short Muddy Stick with aider, RC Harness, Ropes/rigging, backpack, hunting accessories (the typical calls, rangefinder, bow hooks, etc) Totals up to 15.5 or 16 lbs depending on the pack I'm using.

I have a few ideas to shave that number down to 13-14lbs by building my own pack that is dedicated to this setup, and reducing the weight of some accessories.

But for comparison's sake (I would use one stick climbing with lock-on or saddle), I basically drop about 5.5lbs versus my lock-on.

That weight difference is huge for some of the walks I have. But the bigger advantage I've noticed is how much quieter I am sneaking through thick woods. And faster. It seems like I have to stop 15 times to unhook branches or vines or mock orange thorns from my stand. There's a lot of switchcane where I hunt too - and it always finds a crease in the metal and scrapes across it. I actually sound like an animal in the woods now, not a person.

Getting rid of the clanking, metal sounds, and slimming down everything I carry to narrower than my shoulders has been the greatest improvement so far. Your description of finally sounding like an animal in the woods hits the nail on the head.

Getting rid of the clanking, metal sounds, and slimming down everything I carry to narrower than my shoulders has been the greatest improvement so far. Your description of finally sounding like an animal in the woods hits the nail on the head.

Spot on. A huge advantage in my mind. I can now take my time getting to my spot and not worry about a huge climber digging into my shoulders and killing my back. The last time I hunted a buck bed it took me 1.5 hours to approach my tree and I never made a sound. No way I could have went that slow with a heavy climber on my back!

As I've gotten more experienced at scouting and hunting, the line between the two continues to get blurrier. I think when it boils down to it, I've got a limited time on earth chasing critters. If a tool helps me dedicate the time afield being focused and enjoying myself in that pursuit, I can't put a price on it.

This is definitely a less is more setup.

The funniest thing is, my hunting pack will be significantly lighter than my scouting pack due to dropping the drill, the single stick and aider I use to hang cameras, and all the trimming gear.

That's kinda backwards since I'm covering so much more ground during scouting...

Think of it this way...after shedding the heavy scouting gear and switching to lighter hunting gear...you will feel like a racehorse who threw the jockey...:D
Add an additional 20 lbs to the scouting pack....

My setup for tomorrow am is heavy. 37lbs. I have a 1.5 mile walk. But i dont know what to leave home

Kuiu 3200 icon pack
In bag:

-45 ounces of water
-Rc harness
-Linesman belt (ropeman, two light carabiners, 11mm rope)
-15 treehopper bolts and ezcut drill
-tree strap
-Bow holder (two arm screw in)
-kill kit (knife, license, wipes, tiny emergency bivy)
-headlamp and small flashlight
-wool gloves and hat/facemask
-sitka incinerator jacket
-Grunt tube

Outside of pack:
-Lonewolf assault hang on (11.5 lbs)
-Sitka incinerator bibs

Thoughts?
Fortunatley it carries easy with the Kuiu frame

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

d6d0a5269eb67093d95fbe443339599a.jpg

This was my set up omwed... Instead of lone wolf and bolts... I had my new tride saddle, spurs, and 35 foot 9mm rope and grigri 2. Weighed 35 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I really think the actual poundage means less to me now than how it is shaped and distributed. 7 lbs of mine is on the saddle (linesman belt, 25 bolts, and ez kit drill). The rest fits into my backpack, which is very ergonomic and comfortable. The widest part of my gear is the pouches on the saddle, which is about as wide as my shoulders. It makes getting through the woods very easy.

Yikes 37lbs, that's what I work out with to get in shape. What's that pack weigh? I dont take any water, if you stay hydrated one hunt want kill ya. Most people dont drink enough on a regular basis.

well, I may be able to trim off even more weight. I tested out the bolts system today and, as easy as the hand drill is, I may go without the dewalt drill. I had to back out the power drill twice before getting to full depth because the bit kept clogging with the moist wood. I may just carry the hand drill as my only one because it takes about as much time per hole. that would drop my weight significantly.

Back