• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunter/Homeowner Confrontation

skyjacker

SH Member
I'm sure some of ya'll have seen this video of a homeowner confronting a bow hunter allegedly on his property. Here's an interesting take from a couple of Self Defense lawyers.

implicit bias to what side? pro-2a?

There’s always more than two sides. I was just sharing my first impression. Leading with a collection of politically charged advertisements didn’t instill a feeling in me that I was about to hear an impartial analysis.

Those of you that are complaining about the advertisement must not have kept going? because they came down on the gun owner/bearer pretty hard so doesn't really like up with the bias arguments. I'm not sure this thread will last long, but given the limited knowledge of the interaction- am firmly in Bowhunter camp, the property owner way over-reacted, it should have been nothing more than a "hey you're on my property you need to leave" and they have a civil discussion about who gave permission and where property lines are, everyone walks away getting along and educated. (No opinion on bringing a gun along for the discussion, the issue is it seems like it's being pointed at the hunter by the audio and the home owner was very escalatory/aggressive). Sad that it's expecting too much for people to be civil these days, though the hopeful part of me clings to the fact that the majority of interactions ARE civil, they just don't get video taped and posted.

There’s always more than two sides. I was just sharing my first impression. Leading with a collection of politically charged advertisements didn’t instill a feeling in me that I was about to hear an impartial analysis.
Is "implicit bias" something they learned you in public school? :)

Gotta be careful here, we're on the ragged edge of rule-bending.

I don't see how the ad for gunsmith school is politically charged. The "armed attorneys" have some SME in this area. Was there another ad I missed?

Both parties in the confrontation are armed. Agree with @thedutchtouch the guy with the rifle seems to have overreacted.

As soon as that guy started, I would've told him that the sheriff and DNR needs involved. And called 911 right then. I've argued with a lot of crazy people when younger, I've never made one less crazy.

The AR guy should've also wanted to call the cops first. Him walking up to an armed hunter showed that he isn't wrapped too tight and he was really into the whole thing, he's probably fantasized about needing his rifle one day.

If you read the comments, it looks like the bowhunter was actually on his lease (legally, just like the bow hunter said) and he is trying to prosecute the guy that harassed him, but LEO aren't doing much. The AR guy didn't like that the bowhunter was near his property.

Last edited:
Ha the only thing a lawyer is impartial too is compensation.

Funny story from a couple weekends back. I was watching a HS State Championship football game and the guy doing the color was one of my wife’s former students. The PxP guy says “the ball will be kicked 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the end zone is 10 yards deep, Joseph, can you tell the folks at home how long this field goal attempt will be?”. Without skipping a beat Joseph says “I can tell them what 30% of it would be”.

Funny story from a couple weekends back. I was watching a HS State Championship football game and the guy doing the color was one of my wife’s former students. The PxP guy says “the ball will be kicked 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the end zone is 10 yards deep, Joseph, can you tell the folks at home how long this field goal attempt will be?”. Without skipping a beat Joseph says “I can tell them what 30% of it would be”.
Buddy of mine is one of those lawyers. Told me how much he settled a case for one day and I said something like “not bad buddy, 33% of that means you can buy the drinks today.” He very quickly replied “33 and a third. Don’t be shorting me my 1/3.”

On topic I’m in @raisins camp, crazy people don’t listen to reason, you can’t talk your way out of it, 911 is in order. Just one of those facts of life. Babies cry, hamsters die, liars lie.

I'm an absentee landowner for a couple of reasonably sized pieces of family land a couple of hours from where I live. Because I'm not there very often and neighbors change over the years I'm not generally recognized when I'm down there. I've posted a few stories here on the forum before of encounters I've had on my own property. I'll post links to a couple of them herein for guys who may not have seen them.

In most of those instances I was met with pretty aggressive behavior from guys using my land and telling me I was trespassing and ordering me off. In one instance in particular I'm quite sure the only thing that prevented a physical confrontation was the fact that I was open carrying on my hip at the time (even though I had completely forgotten I was carrying during the encounter).

In another instance I had a neighbor who knew me at the time try to threaten me with a call to the cops when he was absolutely in the wrong, and knew it.

Thankfully, in every instance, calmer heads prevailed. I'm always amazed though how worked up people will get trying to protect "Their Rights" to property they have no legal claim over but have been able to use free for years.

The only time I’ve ever been involved personally in a boundary dispute while hunting was by a game warden trying to write me a trespassing to hunt waterfowl ticket (lot of money and loss of license). He was a douche from the get go so I withheld a LOT of information from him. 45 minutes after it started he had the landowner on the phone and the landowner informed the GW that he was a Land Surveyor and that, by the GW’s own admission of where we were hunting, we were indeed on his property.

After realizing he had bitten off more than he could chew, the GW asked me how I knew the landowner……”that’s none of your damn business, but I’ll humor you….he told you he was a Land Surveyor, correct? Well I’m the Land surveyor that trained him and together we surveyed this property so, yes, I KNOW I wasn’t trespassing and your time here is up so beat feet, slapnutz”.

I'm an absentee landowner for a couple of reasonably sized pieces of family land a couple of hours from where I live. Because I'm not there very often and neighbors change over the years I'm not generally recognized when I'm down there. I've posted a few stories here on the forum before of encounters I've had on my own property. I'll post links to a couple of them herein for guys who may not have seen them.

In most of those instances I was met with pretty aggressive behavior from guys using my land and telling me I was trespassing and ordering me off. In one instance in particular I'm quite sure the only thing that prevented a physical confrontation was the fact that I was open carrying on my hip at the time (even though I had completely forgotten I was carrying during the encounter).

In another instance I had a neighbor who knew me at the time try to threaten me with a call to the cops when he was absolutely in the wrong, and knew it.

Thankfully, in every instance, calmer heads prevailed. I'm always amazed though how worked up people will get trying to protect "Their Rights" to property they have no legal claim over but have been able to use free for years.
Kudos to you for a couple things. First and foremost keeping a calm head. It’s your land and you know you’re in the right, easy to fly off the handle. I’m in favor of carrying to protect myself, and my family, from all manner of threat. That said I personally believe there is a great responsibility in doing so, pretty clear you understand that if it stayed on your hip, forgot it was there or not.

Trespassing is a misdemeanor. Even in Castle Doctrine States like GA you do t have the right to brandish a weapon to a trespasser. I have read so many threads that have keyboard badasses stating they would shoot the trespasser, string the trespasser up, etc. In my home state of GA, even if you have posted signs, unless you as the land owner have signed an affidavit with names listed of who is allowed on the property a trespass case will not hold up in court. The only thing law enforcement can do is issue a warning.

Two yrs ago my wife who is an RN, and worked 3rd shift at the time, would come home from work, sit on the back porch, and wind down by drinking a couple of beers. One night she had an older man walk within 10’ of our back porch, stare at her for a few minutes, and walk off. The next morning she told me about it, and I 1/2 way believed her. We live dead center of about a 49 acre block of woods, and have a 2000’ driveway. No one comes to our house, without notice so why would an old man be walking up to our porch at 1am. So, being the living husband I am, I put up several trail cams around the house , and sure nuff our weird ass neighbor for about 1/4 mile away was roaming our property at night. I called the cops 7 different times on him within 3 months. I even filled out the affidavit, had him on camera, and they still couldn’t prosecute. He would always disappear before the cops got there. I actually saw him walk behind a tree and hide one night when the cops were there. I recorded him crossing onto my property using a thermal. I took the evidence to the Sheriff, and was told “he’s trespassing, your life is not in danger from that. Any use of deadly force will land you in jail.” I was also told holding him at gun point until the law could get there would be a felony charge, and I would have to leave it for a jury to decide. I cured the problem, but it took a lot of creativity, and was very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard for me to take the “experts” seriously when they open the segment with advertisements that demonstrate implicit bias.

Is there anything in those coffee cups, lol.

Q
Is "implicit bias" something they learned you in public school? :)

Gotta be careful here, we're on the ragged edge of rule-bending.

I don't see how the ad for gunsmith school is politically charged. The "armed attorneys" have some SME in this area. Was there another ad I missed?

Both parties in the confrontation are armed. Agree with @thedutchtouch the guy with the rifle seems to have overreacted.
I’d love to respond and discuss this more but it’s darn near impossible to do so without involving politics. The very nature of the video is to promote a specific politically charged agenda that we all have agreed is a no fly zone on this forum. And for that I’m grateful.

Last edited:
Trespassing is a misdemeanor. Even in Castle Doctrine States like GA you do t have the right to brandish a weapon to a trespasser. I have read so many threads that have keyboard badasses stating they would shoot the trespasser, string the trespasser up, etc. In my home state of GA, even if you have posted signs, unless you as the land owner have signed an affidavit with names listed of who is allowed on the property a trespass case will not hold up in court. The only thing law enforcement can do is issue a warning.

Two yrs ago my wife who is an RN, and worked 3rd shift at the time, would come home from work, sit on the back porch, and wind down by drinking a couple of beers. One night she had an older man walk within 10’ of our back porch, stare at her for a few minutes, and walk off. The next morning she told me about it, and I 1/2 way believed her. We live dead center of about a 49 acre block of woods, and have a 2000’ driveway. No one comes to our house, without notice so why would an old man be walking up to our porch at 1am. So, being the living husband I am, I put up several trail cams around the house , and sure nuff our weird ass neighbor for about 1/4 mile away was roaming our property at night. I called the cops 7 different times on him within 3 months. I even filled out the affidavit, had him on camera, and they still couldn’t prosecute. He would always disappear before the cops got there. I actually saw him walk behind a tree and hide one night when the cops were there. I recorded him crossing onto my property using a thermal. I took the evidence to the Sheriff, and was told “he’s trespassing, your life is not in danger from that. Any use of deadly force will land you in jail.” I was also told holding him at gun point until the law could get there would be a felony charge, and I would have to leave it for a jury to decide. I cured the problem, but it took a lot of creativity, and was very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, in WV, we're about as supportive of gun and property rights as you can get. But, you can't shoot someone unless they are in your house uninvited (after a break in....not a confused kid that thinks he is at a surprise party) OR you are in fear of your own life or someone else's life (when either inside or outside or anywhere).

All kinds of guys around here say they'd shoot a trespasser and they act like that is obviously legal (or they are LARPing as tough guys). I usually let stupid be, but I'll ask them once in a while "how would you like it if your child got lost and was looking for help, ended up accidentally on someone else's property with no ill intent, and someone shot them for no good reason?"

I hate rednecks with the burning passion of 1,000 Suns. I have no issues with poor people or country people. But I've been dealing with low IQ rednecks (aggressive and ignorant types) that think they are smart for over 40 years, and it's getting old.

Last edited:
Back