• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JRB Hitch Climbing

John RB

Saddle hunters,
I am introducing a never-been-done-before method to climb trees using ONE rope and a series of hitches, which I am calling JRB Hitch Climbing. The reason I know it has never been done before, is because I devised the two hitches that are used in this climb, and I am working with the International Guild of Knot Tyers to have them recognized and published. You can find info on the JRB Hitch and the Saddle Hunter's Hitch on my channel.

Background: Ok, some background on me and my system and methods. I have been deer hunting out of trees for 40+ years... and 14 years ago, long before I ever heard of saddle hunting, I built my own DIY seat and rope climbing system and started hunting on a rope. And its been very good for me in terms of my success as a hunter. I was always a DdRT/MRS climber, but hanging out with a lot of arborists, I see how the ARBs are going to SRT/SRS. It has some advantages, but also some disadvantages (save that for another chat). After a lot of thought and experimentation, I came up with a different way to rope climb, which we are are calling the JRB Climbing method: My primary rope climbing method uses a DOUBLED rope, but the rope is STATIONARY as I climb it, basically like SRT but on two strands at the same time. I do not use any mechanical devices and I don't tie any knots at the tree. I feel it has significant advantages over both DdRT/MRS AND SRT, and so that is how I climb. Now, this post is not going to be about that METHOD, but it is going utilize the same rope SYSTEM. If you want to see how I set up the SYSTEM, that info is on my channel, under the playlist JRB Tree Climbing Method, and look for the video for Rigging and Climbing a new Rope (and anything else you're interested in). If you want more info on that method, there is a playlist on my channel dedicated to the JRB Climbing Method. But THIS video and this method is different. This video introduces my 2nd METHOD, but I can execute it on the same rope SYSTEM.

Why am I am publishing this video? First, I am not selling it or anything. I do this for fun and to grow the sport and to promote safety and keep our butts out of a wheelchair. I am not proposing that everybody should start climbing this way. But I am saying this: If I can climb a tree in an ultra minimal system (I don't even carry a pack) which uses no sticks and no steps and no platform and no lineman's belt, and no tether ... and I can stay tied into the tree the ENTIRE time... well, then I don't really wanna hear that stick climbers find it too difficult to tie in, and feel adequately safe because they have lineman's belt on. We only need a stick to kick out ONCE, or a strap to break ONCE, or a cam cleat to give ONCE, or a DIY aider to go ONCE in order for us to be seriously hurt, or worse. Just because Bubba said he "never had a problem with it", that does not mean he or you won't, nor should you bet your life on it. And so my demonstration is really just meant to be thought provoking. It's a highly technical climb, but I now have no use for my climbing sticks. The only time I used them the last few years was to set a false crotch for rope climbing on a tree that had no crotches. Well, now I can do so with this. And the beauty is that I am TIED IN the whole way and that I didn't need a throwball to use it. I can climb a telephone pole if I wanted to. And I can bypass any branches that are in my way AND stay tied in the entire time. I would love your feedback. There isn't yet adequate info to duplicate it, but I can provide that if there is an audience.

Last edited:
What device are you using to attach the step to the rope? Something like a Ropeman or Kong Duck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What device are you using to attach the step to the rope? Something like a Ropeman or Kong Duck?

No, I am not using any of those devices or anything similar.

I am using the Garda Hitch (or Alpine Clutch) which is a progress capture device that uses two carabiners and webbing. I did not invent it, but I did come up with a specific build and a bull hitch variant that has no name, and will create a more stable Garda than anything else you will find. I have tied and tried 'em all.

This is how I build my Garda Hitch Footloop.

This video shows in greater detail how to engage it:
It works on a single line or a double line. It's also what I use for JRB system climbing and SRT climbing. Its also useful on DdRT/MRS.

I like 4 inch D-style non-locking beaners. I have some from Fusion, Liberty Mountain and at least one other supplier. Its important that they are non-locking because the gates can get in the way.

Still don't think this beats spurs if you are able to use them where you hunt. I can be 20 feet high and hunting before you get attached to the tree with that system.
When i climb my normal method, i am 25 ft in 2.5 minutes from when i arrive, including all setup. This method is slower, but i am tied in. Spurs are also very quick. But your not tied in. I am never dependent on my feet or whats they are on. In fact, this is a real comment left by a fellow hunter on a Facebook post just TODAY:
"Yap climbing with single spikes last year one slipped went 8 ft down the tree"
Gaffs can kick out. I don't know an arborist who hasn't experienced it. Also we are supposed to kick em in real hard and that's not quiet.

If you use a tree squeeze you ain't gonna fall 8 ft. It slows you down some but not much. Also watch @flinginairos YouTube video. You can climb very quietly with spurs.
Thx. I absolutely agree that a tree squeeze will hold ya. However, spurs are simply not a good option, and not what this post is about. For example, they are illegal in my state on public land. And they do damage the tree. Pro Arborists only wear them on a removal, not a pruning. My primary method is rope climbing. This demonstration is about a different way to rope climb using the same climbing system. For example, ya arrive at your preset tree and bump up some deer as u arrive. So ya decide to walk another mile and set up on new ground. No need to have a throwball, and nothing extra to carry. Any tree. Bypass as many branches as ya need to. Etc, etc

O
@John RB what is the purpose of climbing on two ropes instead of one? What benefit does it give you over traditional SRT?
Appreciate the feedback and the question. To be clear to anyone reading this, i have two different climbing methods, neither of which uses two ropes, and both of which use the same one rope system.
1. JRB Climbing Method, which is a doubled but stationary rope, (and not the topic of this post.)
2. JRB Hitch Climbing, (which is the topic of this post.) I obviously didn't anticipate coming up with a 2nd new method or i might have called #1 something different. I was advised NOT to call it DSRS.

I am going to assume you're asking about #1, not #2. In #2, i am climbing one rope, and the 2nd point of attachment is just a temporary means to bypass the hitch. Otherwise, i couldn't climb. The first hitch couldn't be passed and i would be stuck a few feet off the ground. On method #1, Arm Breaker has a different thread on that method, but i will reply here: In the JRB Climbing Method, i am actually not climbing two ropes like a mountaineering climb might. I am climbing a single, but doubled rope.

Ok, i hope i am answering the correct question .... off the top of my head.... advantages of JRB over SRT include:
1. I can climb using thinner ropes rated as half ropes. SRT must be executed on ropes rated as single or lead ropes. I use sub 8mm rope and its criminally thin and lightweight.
2. I don't need to set a canopy nor a basal anchor. And so from the moment the rope comes down, i clip in and start climbing where a SRT climber needs to set an anchor. That's time and complexity on both ends of the climb.
3. Its a more efficient use of my 100 ft of rope. All of my rope goes to use, holding my body. To set a canopy anchor at 50 ft with SRT, although there are different ways to do it, ya will have a lot of rope or line which is used for nothing but setting and retrieval. Its messy, bulky and a lot to clean up. In JRB, I don't even use a pack. I am 25 feet off the ground in 2.5 minutes from the time i get to the tree, including unraveling my rope.
4. SRT doesn't require a device, but most climbers seem to think it does. JRB has no devices except rope, cord, and beaners. Every one of my ropes is a separate climbing system. Its cheap.
5. I have introduced it with multiple points of attachment to my rope. That could be done in SRT, but I have never seen anyone do it. I can take a hunting knife and cut thru my friction hitches and i don't fall. If an SRT climber has a failure of their primary friction device, thats a problem. And so if anybody compares JRB to SRT, that distinction is important.
6. I realize ya don't need a device for SRT, but most are using them. I don't an expensive device. Many are only rated for thick ropes anyway. Its an investment a lot of new climbers are uncertain about. My method introduces them to climbing in a safe system without a device.
7. I can't forget anything and i can't drop anything that's crucial cuz its all attached. If a RADS SRT climber lost a footloop, they will most likely be grounded. I am not dependent on my Garda footloop to climb. After all, its a viable MRS system... just pull one side.
8. I climb to dual anchors on two trunks and get inside of complex trees. As a hunter, i can hide really well this way. And i tag a lot of deer this way. Its possible with SRT and a canopy anchor, but you will not get as high as i do, meaning as close to your anchor points, and you may not have enough rope for it either.

Note that i AM dependent on the tree and my rope... there is not redundancy for those components.

The only advantage SRT with basal anchor has that i am aware of is if ya threw over a crotch in a complex tree with lots of branches between your two lines, i would have to execute a bypass of each branch. Basal anchor SRT climber can simply follow his rope.

Does wrapping the sides of the carabiners in the garda hitch with vet tape or camoform dampen the sound at all? It appears this method is metal heavy despite not using any mechanical devices. I am just thinking of this from a noise reduction stand point.

If ya heard and clicking of metal on metal, that's only cuz i let the gates snap. In a hunting situation, we're more deliberate. That bull hitch variation will pull those beaners so tight, ya gotta pry them apart. I would not consider any treatment to my beaners that create the Garda. The rope needs to run smoothly thru them and they do not clang.

PS, i am pretty busy and so pls pardon my delayed responses. Appreciate this and ALL the good questions and healthy discussion.

I do not agree or disagree with the JBR method. He is not selling a product as he states but he does profit from us watching his videos and subscribing to his channel. Having hitches named after you also helps further that agenda. I climb on a MRS system and I also utilize SRS while hunting pine trees to avoid excessive sap on my ropes. However he does have some valid points and some skewed perceptions involving the use of gaffs. Of course some of yours are slightly skewed in my opinion as well. You are correct if you use a buck squeeze while climbing, you will not fall 8’ or even 4’ AS LONG AS the linesman rope and squeeze are kept above your waist level and preferably taut. Even if you don’t use a squeeze, just a linesman rope alone if used properly, can stop such a dramatic fall from occurring. However in my experience, using spikes is not all that quiet. If you are using them properly you are stepping the gaffs into the tree deep enough to truly bite and not just depending on the outer bark to support you. In a soft bark tree, a light step can be used and won’t make much noise, but in a hard bark tree, it requires a little more dig and makes more noise. Add in the fact that bark is falling down while you climb. But using climbing sticks makes noise. Even climbing on ropes can make noise. So I think the noise is a non de facto while using Spurs. Because all other systems can make noise in different scenarios. He is right Spurs kick out. It happens but that’s why you use a linesman rope the correct way so that you don’t take a long tumble. It sounds to me like whoever wrote that on Facebook about taking an 8’ fall was an inexperienced climber who should have practiced mechanics far more at ground level before climbing to height. I am also curious how badly injured that person was because a fall of that length should have generated enough force on his waist that he was paralyzed or at the very least severely injured. Also the JBR method could face similar failures. Rope could fray, hitches can be tied incorrectly, you could accidentally make mistakes that cause the system to fail. I mean “if” a frog had wings, he wouldn’t bump his hynie when he hops…… so I can’t play ifs, I can only play when. So use equipment the way it is supposed to be used and you mitigate those risks minus failures that you cannot account for, his system is not immune from such failures. It’s a risk we all take just like the risk of using gaffs to climb. Anyway you both have excellent potion of views but let’s not forget every one with a you tube video has an agenda because you tube monetizes those videos. It is that reason alone that Jake and Logan Paul are insanely wealthy. Ok just my two cents. I do tend to side with Droptine more in this instance
Appreciate your response. It's all spot on, and i don't see much to disagree with! Well said! On the monetization topic, in the past year, i have spent a lot of money and time buying ropes that other climbers wanted me to test, and accessories and a decent camera that I don't need. If i ever make a dollar off of YouTube videos, that has not happened yet... and if it does the first dollars will go towards reimbursement for what i laid out already. Not bragging, but I know a great deal about hunting and climbing and unfortunately, i have two kids with Autism who can't even speak, and who I will never pass it along to. And so I share cuz its the right thing to do. I share it for the other parents who are teaching their kids to climb safely. If anyone questions that, they can ask the members of JRB Tree Climbing Facebook group if i have EARNED their respect and for the RIGHT reasons. I feel certain I have. And if I ever do make a profit, well, then it will be for my kids. I live for them.

Appreciate your response. It's all spot on, and i don't see much to disagree with! Well said! On the monetization topic, in the past year, i have spent a lot of money and time buying ropes that other climbers wanted me to test, and accessories and a decent camera that I don't need. If i ever make a dollar off of YouTube videos, that has not happened yet... and if it does the first dollars will go towards reimbursement for what i laid out already. Not bragging, but I know a great deal about hunting and climbing and unfortunately, i have two kids with Autism who can't even speak, and who I will never pass it along to. And so I share cuz its the right thing to do. I share it for the other parents who are teaching their kids to climb safely. If anyone questions that, they can ask the members of JRB Tree Climbing Facebook group if i have EARNED their respect and for the RIGHT reasons. I feel certain I have. And if I ever do make a profit, well, then it will be for my kids. I live for them.
Although I don't think I would ever use your system I hope you make a million bucks off of it. Who know, if I did try it I might like it but I can use my spurs where I hunt and I have a 1 stick for a back up if I need it. Good luck though and I do like the thought and innovation you put into it.

Th

That is why I said in the post above, his method is not immune from such failures. I personally think this system is more time consuming and barely safer than standard DRT because in DRT you test your hitch before you leave the ground and you are also tied off to the tree at all times. The greatest chance of failure while DRT is either a damaged branch or you come down to quickly on your Blake’s. If you do the right things, those risks are mitigated. More importantly if you research how to install false crotches, you can install them from the ground level with very little extra gear. Again I am not opposed to someone introducing a concept. I enjoy research and trying new things as much as the next guy, but don’t sit here and tell us it is the magic cure all without failure and quicker lighter ect than all other methods. There is no such magic pill when it comes to elevation
First, I am certain you're referring to DdRT or more accurately MRS. DdRT is a doubled rope, where DRT is double rope, meaning two separate ropes, with separate anchor points, commonly used in mountaineering. Terms are important and I was corrected about this myself when i started out and so i am simply passing along the info. This is one of the reasons that MRS and SRS are the preferred terms today.

Ok now, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but nobody said anything was a "cure all". Or a "pill. And so if you wanna discuss it, that's fine but be prepared for an adult conversation with facts not jabs. Better yet, if you're happy with MRS, I think you should keep doing it. Ya see, I am not real worried about my fellow rope climbers. I am worried about all the people who aren't on a rope.

I used an MRS system for 12+ years. And i hunted and climbed a lot. I am not gonna bash it. Mine is an advanced MRS system, no knots tied at the tree, self tending and its not blakes hitch either. I used Blake's for only a few days before moving on to something better. And so i think i have the best MRS system around... but i also have enough experience to recognize this is better.

Ok, on MRS systems, the biggest disadvantage is friction due to a rope grinding in a crotch. I have no moving rope, so no friction. It's a fact that JRB is a more efficient (less energy loss) than MRS. Sometimes a moving rope will creak as it burns thru the cambium. I have bumped deer off their beds when trying to get out of my tree with that noise and it can't be controlled. Now its never a problem. I can climb on multiple crotches and get Inside of multi trunk trees, and i hide better and have more successful hunts because of it. Thats possible but would be even more friction for an MRS climber. I have never seen it done.
I can do a bypass of a branch that's between my lines. Most of the MRS climbers I know are tying a blakes hitch at the tree. They don't realize there's no need to do so. I tie no knots at the tree. I am yet to see any MRS climber show up at a tree, and be 25 feet up in 2.5 minutes as i have demonstrated. I am an expert MRS climber myself and I have tries and can't match that time. My system is a 1:1 not 2:1 like MRS, and so i move approximately twice as fast. In MRS, if you pull 18in of rope with every pull you only go up 9 inches. I am yet to see an MRS climber simulate a total failure of their friction hitch and not fall. With no additional time involved, i can sustain a total failure of a friction hitch. I don't need my feet on the tree to climb. It can be leaning hard and its no problem. I don't need any hip thrust cuz i am simply climbing my ropes. I simply stand up. MRS climbers seem to avoid leaners cuz they can't get any hip thrust. I could go on and on. In summary, its true that when i TRY to climb MRS now, I can't stand it. It's simply too slow having gotten used to the 1:1 speed of JRB.
Here's a demonstration... If you can do this in 2.5 minutes, I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
First, I am certain you're referring to DdRT or more accurately MRS. DdRT is a doubled rope, where DRT is double rope, meaning two separate ropes, with separate anchor points, commonly used in mountaineering. Terms are important and I was corrected about this myself when i started out and so i am simply passing along the info. This is one of the reasons that MRS and SRS are the preferred terms today.

Ok now, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but nobody said anything was a "cure all". Or a "pill. And so if you wanna discuss it, that's fine but be prepared for an adult conversation with facts not jabs. Better yet, if you're happy with MRS, I think you should keep doing it. Ya see, I am not real worried about my fellow rope climbers. I am worried about all the people who aren't on a rope.

I used an MRS system for 12+ years. And i hunted and climbed a lot. I am not gonna bash it. Mine is an advanced MRS system, no knots tied at the tree, self tending and its not blakes hitch either. I used Blake's for only a few days before moving on to something better. And so i think i have the best MRS system around... but i also have enough experience to recognize this is better.

Ok, on MRS systems, the biggest disadvantage is friction due to a rope grinding in a crotch. I have no moving rope, so no friction. It's a fact that JRB is a more efficient (less energy loss) than MRS. Sometimes a moving rope will creak as it burns thru the cambium. I have bumped deer off their beds when trying to get out of my tree with that noise and it can't be controlled. Now its never a problem. I can climb on multiple crotches and get Inside of multi trunk trees, and i hide better and have more successful hunts because of it. Thats possible but would be even more friction for an MRS climber. I have never seen it done.
I can do a bypass of a branch that's between my libea. Most of the MRS climbers I know are tying a blakes hitch at the tree. They don't realize there's no need to do so. I tie no knots at the tree. I am yet to see any MRS climber show up at a tree, and be 25 feet up in 2.5 minutes as i have demonstrated. I am an expert MRS climber myself and I have tries and can't match that time. My system is a 1:1 not 2:1 like MRS, and so i move approximately twice as fast. In MRS, if you pull 18in of rope with every pull you only go up 9 inches. I am yet to see an MRS climber simulate a total failure of their friction hitch and not fall. With no additional time involved, i can sustain a total failure of a friction hitch. I don't need my feet on the tree to climb. It can be leaning hard and its no problem. I don't need any hip thrust cuz i am simply climbing my ropes. I simply stand up. MRS climbers seem to avoid leaners cuz they can't get any hip thrust. I could go on and on. In summary, its true that when i TRY to climb MRS now, I can't stand it. It's simply too slow having gotten used to the 1:1 speed of JRB.
Here's a demonstration... If you can do this in 2.5 minutes, I'd like to see it.
I apologize I got off the specific topic of your original thread, which is the JRB Hitch Climbing specifically. Would you prefer if we continue to talk JRB Climbing here or try and save this thread and move over to the one @armbreaker started. I am starting to see some of the advantages to your system and would like to talk it out some more.

I fully understand and commend you for that. I appreciate you taking the time to share your method and ideas. I am somewhat straight from the hip when I speak and I am not good at polished responses. I also spend a considerable amount of time trying to improve the ideas of safe/less safe on here. Perhaps I will subscribe to support your cause (although I don’t see me being a converter because I love my lowly Blake’s hitch lol… another suggestion I have is maybe reach out to NY saddle hunters. Their channel is dedicated almost exclusively to rope systems and if they like yours, it can increase your exposure almost over night. They recently did that for a small saddle upstart company and now people are already second guessing some of their other saddles with thoughts of trying the new company out. Not saying you need my advice, just saying it would be a consideration for further exposure of your ideas
In 2020, Scott from NY saddle is the first person to ever have sat in my DIY MRS system. And i sat in his FLEX saddle the same day and decided to buy one. I have nothing but accolades and respect for those guys cuz they basically served as inspiration and motivation for me to come forward. This year, we got together again and i demonstrated this method. I get great insight from them and others and do my best to repay by helping others. Joe helped me out by fairly challenging me to reduce the complexity cuz it seems busy. That got me thinking and i appreciate the candid feedback. Cheers to NY Saddle!

I apologize I got off the specific topic of your original thread, which is the JRB Hitch Climbing specifically. Would you prefer if we continue to talk JRB Climbing here or try and save this thread and move over to the one @armbreaker started. I am starting to see some of the advantages to your system and would like to talk it out some more.

My preference is to Leave this post about the HITCH Climbing method and the discussion on the doubled stationary rope on Armbreakers thread... after all, i think he might break my arm!!

So what do you do if you don't have a pre-set line in the tree? Just trying to understand the system completely.
That is the whole purpose of this JRB HITCH Climbing method shown in the first post video if I am not mistaken. It allows you to climb almost like a 2 tether system, but in this case you progress the rope and use the left over rope to create your next tethered in spot. At least that is how I understand it up to this point.

That is the whole purpose of this JRB HITCH Climbing method shown in the first post video if I am not mistaken. It allows you to climb almost like a 2 tether system, but in this case you progress the rope and use the left over rope to create your next tethered in spot. At least that is how I understand it up to this point.
I didn't get a chance to reply immediately and then this got buried. But yes, your statement is absolutely correct. I realize that this will not necessarily be a popular way to climb. That's fine. But we can learn from it and use some of the techniques in this system to make conventional stick climbing more safe. I'm getting weary of trying to explain to stick climbers why they need a low slack tie into the tree trunk the entire way. And more weary of hearing it's too much trouble or can't be done. It can be done, and we'll borrow from this method to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes that last vid was just another prescribed test of the JRB hitch. I don't think i posted the links to the vids on how to TIE the two hitches i devised and used in this climb. Here ya go:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back