• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel "break in" period

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
I've been using my kestrel for 2 months now. When I first got it I found it extremely comfortable with an eye level tether, but when I tried to put the tether a little higher so I could walk around larger trees it wasn't as comfortable. This was the only thing I've been trying to figure out with it. I can't exactly explain it, I don't know if if the material has broken in a little bit, or my body has just gotten used to the dramatically smaller profile of this saddle, but I've been able to use a high tether again the past few weeks and I'm 100% completely comfortable. A higher tether can be extremely important when I'm hunting a large tree so that I can move around to shoot 360.

The point of this post is to encourage new kestrel users to keep at it. It doesn't always happen over night. We talk all the time about how saddle hunting can take some time to get used to. I've been saddle hunting for 10 years and it took me a little time to adjust to the new profile of this saddle, so you shouldn't necessarily expect it to happen immediately. Keep at it!

I noticed on mine that the 6 foot tether shortens up quick on the oaks I have where I am at. Definitely cannot double wrap the girth hitch. How many are going with a longer tether? I ordered the standard 6 ft but 12 seems like a lot. I was fine yesterday on a 12" tree (at 16') but have bigger where I hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed on mine that the 6 foot tether shortens up quick on the oaks I have where I am at. Definitely cannot double wrap the girth hitch. How many are going with a longer tether? I ordered the standard 6 ft but 12 seems like a lot. I was fine yesterday on a 12" tree (at 16') but have bigger where I hunt

You don't need to double wrap. But if you want to you will need the longer one.

I've been using my kestrel for 2 months now. When I first got it I found it extremely comfortable with an eye level tether, but when I tried to put the tether a little higher so I could walk around larger trees it wasn't as comfortable. This was the only thing I've been trying to figure out with it. I can't exactly explain it, I don't know if if the material has broken in a little bit, or my body has just gotten used to the dramatically smaller profile of this saddle, but I've been able to use a high tether again the past few weeks and I'm 100% completely comfortable. A higher tether can be extremely important when I'm hunting a large tree so that I can move around to shoot 360.

The point of this post is to encourage new kestrel users to keep at it. It doesn't always happen over night. We talk all the time about how saddle hunting can take some time to get used to. I've been saddle hunting for 10 years and it took me a little time to adjust to the new profile of this saddle, so you shouldn't necessarily expect it to happen immediately. Keep at it!
I'd say your body broke into the saddle...lol

Castration bands as someone pointed out to me here on this site a couple years ago have been a great up grade to my tether hook up. Still using the same band but have 2 more slid on for back up Incase it breaks one day.

I can use a short tether long tether long bridge short bridge it doesn't seem to matter I'm comfortable either way fantastic product.

I can use a short tether long tether long bridge short bridge it doesn't seem to matter I'm comfortable either way fantastic product.

I have been noticing tether height is less of an issue with the kestrel. Comfort is directly correllated to it's position around my hips - maximum comfort is achieved when it is positioned just below where I wear a belt on my waist. That way it cups my butt more and sits lower on the hips.

Yesterday I did a 5 hour sit and was totally comfortable the entire time. I know for sure with my Evolution I would have been to fidget city and back by hour 3.

I'm having the same experience with mine. I'm been hunting for almost 2 months in it alone with over 20 sits. I don't think the saddle ever broke in, but I have got use to the saddle. I do think you need saddle time to get the true feel for this thing. It gets better with every sit. I had a 28"-30" bridge on it and just shortened it to 24" this week and started to notice alittle more pinch. But I'm just going to stick with it and hope my body takes to it. I like the shorter bridge for a lot more for shots with the bow, feel like I have more room to draw and keep my form.

I've spent exactly 62 hours in mine this season. I find it very comfy! There's honestly nothing I would change about it.

THATS what I like to hear!! Means a lot coming from you!

Thanks,
Boswell

Some days I think "eh I don't need the leg straps" but find them useful lol. Same with the adjustment straps. I don't always need them but I find myself using them to get a different feel some days. After this much time in it I feel like I have it figured out now and like everything about it. It's got some blood stains on it that's for sure!

I’m new to SH and sat in my Kestrel 2x and it’s been rough so far. I wear a size 36 and own a kestrel (1) bridge is standard and tether is eye level but after about an hour I’ve got pain everywhere. I’ve adjusted everything. Leg straps and waist strap are loose the green straps are up all the way. But the worst is the standing fatigue lol is this normal? I’m currently standing on stepps maybe I should just suck it up and tough it out for the break in period but then again 60+ hours and still not broke in is freaking me out.

I’m new to SH and sat in my Kestrel 2x and it’s been rough so far. I wear a size 36 and own a kestrel (1) bridge is standard and tether is eye level but after about an hour I’ve got pain everywhere. I’ve adjusted everything. Leg straps and waist strap are loose the green straps are up all the way. But the worst is the standing fatigue lol is this normal? I’m currently standing on stepps maybe I should just suck it up and tough it out for the break in period but then again 60+ hours and still not broke in is freaking me out.

Are you standing/leaning the entire time?

I wear a pair of knee pads and alternate between resting with my knees against the tree almost in a sitting position, hugging the tree with the tree between my legs and standing/leaning on my XOP seat platform. I find the Kestrel extremely comfortable and have a hard time staying awake at times. Keep with it and experiment with different positions.

Honestly I think it takes a full season to really get your physique used to saddle hunting and to dial in your comfort . I know you don’t want to hear that but comfort with saddles just takes time. The platform is by far the biggest drawback of the entire system in terms of comfort, so plan on getting your feet as used to saddle hunting as your hips.

“Pain everywhere”leads me to think you simply need more time and need to make a lot of minor adjustments. Stick with it. Let us know if you have any specific questions that might help.

Sounds like me in ice skates, I’m never relaxed enough for my feet not to hurt. Are you tense or relaxed and just hanging there?

The eye level tether hook up really isn’t a good measurement system. That really measures off your height, so it will be different for everyone. It’s the angle created that matters. The longer the tether the less of an angle it will have from the tree to the saddle. We find the more angle usually creates more comfort.
What do you mean by green strap up all the way. Is that as loose as it gets or tight as it gets. I’d start off with it as loose as it gets then add tension as support is needed.
Foot fatigue is normal. Platform and the stiffness of your boot soles play a major roll. You are standing on an angle so the most comfortable position for your feet will be to match that angle. It’s just a trade off on what you want to carry in the woods and what you are willing to put up with. I use ameristeps because of its packability. I alternate pressure from one foot to the other, from toe to heel, from sitting to leaning. Ive also used an XOP platform. It’s the most comfortable because it’s a big surface and you can install it on an angle. But it’s the bulkiest of the platforms to pack.
I’d start with lowering my tether. Standard bridge length that my Kestrel came with was too long, so you might want to play with that also. And you might need a size 2. I’m a 34 and I think the size 2 might have been better but I never tried one.
Good luck. The benefits of saddle hunting are worth all the trial and error at the beginning.

Are you standing/leaning the entire time?

I wear a pair of knee pads and alternate between resting with my knees against the tree almost in a sitting position, hugging the tree with the tree between my legs and standing/leaning on my XOP seat platform. I find the Kestrel extremely comfortable and have a hard time staying awake at times. Keep with it and experiment with different positions.

I’ve done both standing and sitting but w/o knee pads on.

Sounds like me in ice skates, I’m never relaxed enough for my feet not to hurt. Are you tense or relaxed and just hanging there?

I would say tense the whole time, I’ve tried both standing and sitting both were uncomfortable after around 2-3 mins.

The eye level tether hook up really isn’t a good measurement system. That really measures off your height, so it will be different for everyone. It’s the angle created that matters. The longer the tether the less of an angle it will have from the tree to the saddle. We find the more angle usually creates more comfort.
What do you mean by green strap up all the way. Is that as loose as it gets or tight as it gets. I’d start off with it as loose as it gets then add tension as support is needed.
Foot fatigue is normal. Platform and the stiffness of your boot soles play a major roll. You are standing on an angle so the most comfortable position for your feet will be to match that angle. It’s just a trade off on what you want to carry in the woods and what you are willing to put up with. I use ameristeps because of its packability. I alternate pressure from one foot to the other, from toe to heel, from sitting to leaning. Ive also used an XOP platform. It’s the most comfortable because it’s a big surface and you can install it on an angle. But it’s the bulkiest of the platforms to pack.
I’d start with lowering my tether. Standard bridge length that my Kestrel came with was too long, so you might want to play with that also. And you might need a size 2. I’m a 34 and I think the size 2 might have been better but I never tried one.
Good luck. The benefits of saddle hunting are worth all the trial and error at the beginning.

The Green strap just to the outside of each leg with the pull loop. They are tight as they get .. I’ve tried both ways loose and tight. Loose feels like I’m tipping to far forwards so tight as they get seems to hold my butt up more and tilt me back a touch.

Ok I’ll try playing around with the length of the tether this week. I’m thinking a size 2 might’ve been a better choice. Thanks for the advice.

Back