• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mechanical “prussic” : Ropeman 1 vs Kong Duck vs RollNLock

DXD

I have a couple of Ropeman 1’s that I use (as a lineman’s belt and as a tether) with my Bluewater 11mm assault (7,679 lbf.) static kernmantle rope. The Ropeman 1 works very nicely in both applications. However, when it’s time for me to retire both ropes I’m considering going to 9mm Samson ultra-tech (8,500 lbs.) rope.

Wild Country says the Ropeman 1 is good on rope diameters down to 10mm. However, I have seen commentary on this website as well as elsewhere on the internet that speak to the Ropeman 1 working fine on 9mm rope. Nevertheless, there is a peace of mind that comes from staying within the manufacture guidelines.

The Kong Duck and the RollNLock are both designed to work on rope down to 8mm. So my dilemma is, stick with the Ropeman 1 for 9mm rope and risk that there is some reason Wild Country didn’t rate the Ropeman 1 down to 9mm…or switch to one of the other two that are rate for 9mm rope.

If everything were equal (i.e., “If” the Ropeman 1 and Kong Duck and RollNLock were all manufactural recommended to be used on 9mm rope) which ascender would you use and why? That is, in the applications that we , as saddle hunters, use these devices, does one device stand above the other two in ease of use/features?

I have both, and use the ropeman on 9mm. I bought the kong to be used on SRT, and it works great for that due to the built in bushing/pulley. But I like the Ropeman for my tether because it clamps against the rope and biner preventing a rattle. The kong is more prone to rattle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anybody contact the maker of ropeman 1 and ask why they limit its use to certain size rope? Ive used mine on tiny rope with no issue, so hearing their reasoning would be helpful.

I use the Kong on 9mm ultra tech. The design of the Kong can rattle but you can quiet it down. I want to stay within manufacturer specs on my tether because it's my lifeline.

I would bet it is because not all ropes under 10mm will compress the same. They aren't going to tell you to try it out at ground level first to see if it works :)

I use the Kong on 9mm ultra tech. The design of the Kong can rattle but you can quiet it down. I want to stay within manufacturer specs on my tether because it's my lifeline.

It occurred to me while applying my spare castration band to my bridge carabiner that a few strategically placed castration bands placed on a kong duck/carabiner mating may go far in keeping things quiet. This is just a hunch on my part as I don’t own a duck to try it out.

Obviously this community has many hours of use with the Ropeman and Duck, but the manual (for the Duck at least) doesn't inspire much confidence for use in an SRT situation. I've been putting together a method where you climb with two of these ascenders, and while I see plenty of people climbing with them the manual talks about using it in emergencies and makes references to it not being a fall arrest device. The device itself has no weight markings but the manual shows 400kg (about 900lbs). A separate document from Kong, not specific to the Duck says not to use the device over 1/4 of its marking. Though I can't imagine that means using the Duck at 100kg, we'd be toast!

Just bought a second Duck, but wondering if I should return it and get a CT Rollnlock.

Thoughts, comments or opinions?

I frequently use the ropeman 1 on 8mm ultratek without any issue. I have 3 kong ducks just like the ropemans better. No experience on the CT Rollnlock

I would bet it is because not all ropes under 10mm will compress the same. They aren't going to tell you to try it out at ground level first to see if it works :)
I would that as well...I also think that it is not all carabineers are the same diameter or have the same bend? either factor that with ropes and you could have a disaster happen. Its just like saddles I am sure the Mantis and Kestrel were tested and can actually handle heavier weight then what they are rated for but you have to play it safe for liability reasons. These companies don't need a lawsuit because they rated it on the edge.

I have a couple duck's I use on 9mm HTP. I too wanted to stay in spec. The duck can be noisy if left stock. I stealth stripped both plates and the inside of the bushing and they are silent now, I actually prefer them over the ropeman now. Partly becasue the carabiner can't get bound into awkward postions that are annoying.

Back