• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from WA

John

Why hello there friends, new member here trying to bring the tried and true methods of tree stand/saddle hunting to the "big" mountains of the Olympics and Cascades.

I am always thirsty for knowledge so any helpful tips or tricks let me know.

My future setup will be 3 full length lone wolf sticks (with tubular webbing extension) and a used XOP platform with an Ernie's kit for the post. I have used a tree stand quite frequently with my lone wolf sticks but it has become more of a hindrance than anything, that is when i found DIYsportsman's sit drag video and saw the light.

I look forward to reporting my findings and success with all of you.

So jealous. I wish I was back out west. I grew up outside of coeur d' alene.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome John, from over here on Washington's "dry side"... And just when I thought I was the one and only saddle hunter from WA. on here!

You won't find a better bunch of people than the ones you're going to meet here, the information level here is off the chart and the helpfulness is above and beyond any of the ego laden websites that are so prevalent anymore.

I've been hanging and hunting from the trees for 35 years so if there is anything I can help ya with just let me know. I've taken more than my share bull elk out of the Cascades over the years and my family have guided many elk hunters in those mountains, truly God's country.

I approve of your avatar by the way too...:wink:

Last edited:
Oh I will always be an inland northwesterner at heart.

That's why I come back home every year for the October 10 elk opener.

I've never hunted Washington however so if you have some cool adventures over there let me know. L

Ever since the Wa. department of fish and wildlife caved into the "huggers" and reintroduced the wolves here, our elk hunting adventures have sadly taken a hit in northeast WA...

I know some of the units I hunted in north Idaho years ago are experiencing a decline in elk populations due to the wolves there also. The really good hunters still take some nice bulls out of north Idaho but it's the future hunters that I'm afraid are going to miss out in the years to come.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to hunt elk all these years when it was in it's "hayday" so to speak. Keep after em' Ernie!

Yeah the wolves have gotten us to. The other big obstacle is the environmentalists. Since the logging is limited, the clear cuts have all over grown and there aren't new cuts to replace them.

The elk stay in the thick stuff and it makes it harder.

Thanks for your into John, didn't mean to hijacked it...Lol!!

Good luck chasing those Blacktails and Roosevelt elk over there, don't forget your rain gear :wink:

Back