• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Opinions on stick aiders.

Eaton

I would like to know what ur opinions are on the type of aider to get. Straight ladder type or 5 offset steps. Will be using the one stick method.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Re: Opinions on stick aiders.

I know there have been several guys that started with the straight ladder and ended up going with the offset steps. I use CMI 3-step aiders with the offset steps and have been very happy with them.

I found some black Diamond offset steps for 17 bucks new. Orange in color. May try them.

Eaton said:
I found some black Diamond offset steps for 17 bucks new. Orange in color. May try them.

Thats a great deal. I have the same one and it works great. Don't buy the Metolius brand, I had one and it sucked. The Black Dimaond is much better.

I second the remark about metolius. They're probably fine if you're not in hunting boots, but I have a couple and can't really use them because they don't hold open well and the foot loops are small

Shaun

If you go black diamond, I'd also get the regulars, not the alpine.

essdub said:
I second the remark about metolius. They're probably fine if you're not in hunting boots, but I have a couple and can't really use them because they don't hold open well and the for loops are small

Shaun

That's exactly why I didn't like it. The steps were flat and super hard to get bigger boots in (I wear size 13!) and it just didn't work for me at all.

I don't have a pic right now, but take reflective tacks and push them through the webbing on each step and bend it over on the other side to hold them on and that really helps seeing the steps in the dark while one stick climbing. I did this on mine and they have worked perfect.

I have used the 5 step regular black diamonds for about the years now and have really liked them. I am hoping to switch to gaffs this year to cut weight and increase flexibility. There was a tree I really wanted to sit in last year on a run n gun hunt but the ropes on my muddy stick wouldn't reach around the base.

That will never be a problem with gaffs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Erniepower said:
I have used the 5 step regular black diamonds for about the years now and have really liked them. I am hoping to switch to gaffs this year to cut weight and increase flexibility. There was a tree I really wanted to sit in last year on a run n gun hunt but the ropes on my muddy stick wouldn't reach around the base.

That will never be a problem with gaffs.

This has happened to me exactly twice. SO FRUSTRATING.

That is why I plan to pick up some irons. I can't use them everywhere in WI but I know some bigger buttressing stems I've been itching to hunt for a while.

Not to de rail this thread, but how do you use your flip line on really big trees? Seems it would be be hard to do but I haven't tried it either.

How big is big. I had a friend who used to do tree work and watched a video of two guys - one on each side of a massive tree. Biggest tree I've used them on is maybe three feet thick. .. big enough to not be able to reach my arms around, but not outrageously so

Shaun

I have climbed some monsters in my day. Ill look for some pictures. When it gets too big you almost have to throw a line up to the first big split. Then climb free style while adjusting your ascender as a backup as you get higher. Trees are seldome too big for the flip line after the first major split. I keep a long flip line and you may have work one side up and then the other.

I planned on picking up some steel core for these situations

Most of the trees I have in mind are manageable once you get past the buttress.

Ive had a couple times where even my longer than standard length ropes wouldnt get around the tree at the base, used a couple screw ins. I have a pine on public that splits about 12ft up and that one I can barely tie the half hitch on 2 of my sticks. I cringe as I climb till I can get my lineman around the split I want to continue up. When I get the amsteel, I will make my 2 bottom sticks rope a foot longer.

Re: RE: Re: Opinions on stick aiders.

kenn1320 said:
Ive had a couple times where even my longer than standard length ropes wouldnt get around the tree at the base, used a couple screw ins. I have a pine on public that splits about 12ft up and that one I can barely tie the half hitch on 2 of my sticks. I cringe as I climb till I can get my lineman around the split I want to continue up. When I get the amsteel, I will make my 2 bottom sticks rope a foot longer.
You are an adrenaline junkie! :mrgreen:

Dang you guys must hunt some big trees. Most of the spots I hunt doesn't have trees that big. The ones I consider "big" are the ones I can barely reach around. There are a few huge maple trees on a field edge i'd love to get in, just haven't tried it yet.

I've found 2 huge trees this winter that I need to hunt out of. I plan on using SRT to hunt these trees because it will be the safest way to climb them.

Back