• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform opptions

Saddle Assassin

Anyone have any different platform ideas, I have used the strap on steps on a Strap and it works ok but I don't like the sound with the strap when tighting it up, I am using just the two climbpaws top steps now and they work but I would like to have something as comfortable as them but with the avaiblity to have more to shoot 360 and have a easy way to put them on the tree. I think anymore than two is hard to get them all tight and to stay in place, I know there are some great minds to work out something, I have an idea but I need to try it first.

First, I'm assuming you are talking about methods that aren't screw ins. Right now my go to method is cranford screw in ez steps.

For a great silent/light/quick strap on platform I think this is the biggest challenge we have. I have some ideas as well but probably won't get to test them until the summer. The strap on ameristeps work but to get them tight you need to put them on a ratchet. I know that if you are careful you can tighten down the ratchet with minimal noise, but there has to be a better way.

For silence I have used the cranford rope steps and overlayed 4 or 5 around the tree at the same height. It works but it can be a pain to try to get them off after that.

Looking forward to hear what others have to say on this.

I have never used screw ins but may try it, I always take out everything I take in, maybe we can put are ideas together on this one, it is the biggest down fall of the whole setup

Most of the land that I hunt I can use screw in's, the only land where I can't is on the federal land. I definitely prefer the screw ins over all else. If you find a good strap on method please share. I won't get to play around with it really until June because I have some all consuming stuff going on the next few months at work. After I get to experiment I will let you know if I find anything with potential.

Hey guys. Nice to see a site for saddle users! Don't have to go though 20 posts about how they look uncomfortable or that they use lone wolfs and sticks. :D anyway I've been thinking about making a platform out of strap on steps or DIY climb paws but instead of using a ratchet strap using a over center (?) Strap. Like what you would use to strap a large boat to a trailer. I think it would be quiet and solid. If I wasn't so broke I'd already have one made. Any thoughts?

Hey Dennis!

First off, welcome to the site! You don't have to worry about filtering through posts about tree stands or that big "diaper" that you wear here :D

Your idea sounds like it has a lot of potential. If what I am thinking of is the same thing that you are, it is also called a gunwale strap http://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Kw...1395012380&sr=8-2&keywords=boat+gunwale+strap. I haven't used climbpaws so I can't comment there. The strap is 2 inches so it probably wouldn't fit through the ameristep plastic steps, but you could bunch it up through the cranford rope steps. If it works I think you're right that it would be quiet and solid. Let us know when you get to try it out!

Yep. That's the same thing. They come in different sizes. But you could marked them so tight that they would bend the bolts that were mounted in the boat if you weren't careful. I've been using a saddle for about 7 years and have been using DIY climb paws on a ratchet strap for the base the last 3. Hunting near beds and holding the piece that clicks out while I tighten got me thinking there's gotta be a better way.

Muddy made a new camera arm that used a similar strap and the second I saw it I've been trying to track one down. A 1" version would be saddle hunters dream.

Bigburner said:
Muddy made a new camera arm that used a similar strap and the second I saw it I've been trying to track one down. A 1" version would be saddle hunters dream.

Just watched the bowhunting.com video on it, http://www.bowhunting.com/videos/2014-ata-show-new-products/muddy-outdoors-pro-camera-arm_3095 and you might be right. I'm just wondering how much weight it could hold.

Here's the bad news... its listed here with the price http://www.campbellcameras.com/New-Professional-Grade-Pro-Arm-from-Muddy-with-the-Silent-Strap.html. To be released in March. Maybe if someone reaches out to muddy we could find out some info on the weight limit to the strap and if we could get a price for the strap only??

dennism said:
Yep. That's the same thing. They come in different sizes. But you could marked them so tight that they would bend the bolts that were mounted in the boat if you weren't careful. I've been using a saddle for about 7 years and have been using DIY climb paws on a ratchet strap for the base the last 3. Hunting near beds and holding the piece that clicks out while I tighten got me thinking there's gotta be a better way.

I agree with you. As far as I am concerned a ratchet strap is not acceptable. There has to be a better way, and we will find it!

I just sent an e-mail to muddy. let you know what I get for a reply. I asked if it will be available as a seperate item. Msrp. Load rating/ can it be used to hang a stand. Didn't want to take the time to explain what the intended purpose is. Wait and see.

redsquirrel said:
Bigburner said:

Just watched the bowhunting.com video on it, http://www.bowhunting.com/videos/2014-ata-show-new-products/muddy-outdoors-pro-camera-arm_3095 and you might be right. I'm just wondering how much weight it could hold.

Here's the bad news... its listed here with the price http://www.campbellcameras.com/New-Professional-Grade-Pro-Arm-from-Muddy-with-the-Silent-Strap.html. To be released in March. Maybe if someone reaches out to muddy we could find out some info on the weight limit to the strap and if we could get a price for the strap only??
Dang $200! Those straps are common. Been thinking about uses them for this purpose for a while. This is the first time I've ever mentioned it. Plus the way that handle hangs out there looks like it could be kicked and flipped open. Most lay flat and you have to pull the excess strap to unlock the buckle. Watch your fingers! :D

Lol up pulled my idea out of my head, I was working on that idea already lol, it is kinda like the old loggy bayou strap for there stand, just goes to show us saddle guys are the same.

Here is response I got from muddy about the silent strap:

Erich,

I have answers to your questions. The Silent Strap is a 1" strap. Currently we are only rating the strap for the camera arm use. The strap retails for $24.99. If anything were to change on the strap and it's accepted uses we would post that on our website and also probably via Facebook and Twitter. I'm not in charge of matketing so no guarantees on the posts to social media...!

Misty Little
Muddy Companies Office: 877.36MUDDY ext. 23 Fax: 641.932.2349 mlittle@gomuddy.com www.gomuddy.com

Not reassuring as an option.

Thanks for posting that. I agree that it doesn't sound reassuring. But then again aren't we used to repurposing things? lol

I am very intrigued by the over center buckle that Dennis brought up. So intrigued that I have one on the way. It seems like it might work great. I was doing a little reading about them and they were compared to cam buckles, but better for our purpose.

"Because cam buckles can only be secured as tight as the user is able to pull on the webbing, it may not create an extremely tight connection (cam buckles are ideal for more fragile items because of the fact that you can’t over tighten them).
With an overcenter buckle assembly, a latch is toggled shut once the user has pulled as much webbing through the latch as they can. This latch mechanism adds more tension to ensure a secure tie down and prevent an accidental release of the strap."

The ameristep strap on steps used a cam buckle, and they worked ok, but they slid a bit. It makes sense that this buckle should work much better.

Awesome you got one on the way. I can't wait to see if it works! I've thought about this for a couple of seasons. I really think this is what we need. Now we need a decent step for this purpose! I'm thinking about that now.

I actually ordered 2... They were 2.19 each and shipping was 5 bucks, couldn't bring myself to pay double the cost of a 2 dollar item for shipping lol

Back