• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Public or Private?

Bourdeau

Just curious how many saddle hunters own their own hunting land or just hunt public. Also if you do own land do you manage it for whitetail deer?

100% public most years - but I have no problem paying for private or going an outfitter when needed.

Last edited:
I hunt 100 acres private, and carefully manage my wife and I with our harvest. So I spend more time hunting public than private

Currently almost 100% public (1 sit on private this year), but if I could afford to lease a decent place, I’d be about 50/50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt private and public but mostly public land I found more spots on public land already that I imagine myself getting up into next season it’s along wait but I now have that off season time to practice with my saddle.

95% public, two sits on private for bow and 2 on my uncles land for gun. I could lease my uncles 50 for a fair price but I have so many other quality spots and not enough time to hunt them all, why pay. It’s also easy to burn out 50, so those sits are expensive. If I had the coin to lease 500 or more I would certainly do it though.

Last few years I have hunted private with a gun club. Problem is where I live most of the private and public land allows hound running after bow and muzzle loader. Hound hunting starts the 3rd Saturday of November.

Next year I will be driving the 3-4 hours to hunt National Land in the latter part of the season.

Have two private pieces I hunt, but they're 3 hours away. Basically ends up being 1 or 2 rut hunts, and opening gun weekend. The rest of the season I hunt public. I really have been enjoying the challenge of public land hunting, but I either suck at hunting or the land I hunt really sucks. I've seen 1 deer on stand and bumped 3 all season.

Both. I have some good private spots (still pretty heavy pressure) and really enjoy public land as well

I don't own land but I hunt private permission land and public. The private land is ag so, not managed but lots of food around. Some of the land is group hunted. That group does manage I guess a bit with mineral licks and bait...trying to convince them to just leave it be.

This was my first year to hunt on public. I hunted it a little more than private. I don’t own any land, but have permission to hunt a few small parcels within an hour of me. And an invite to a nice club from a friend is never declined.

Until mid way thru the 2017 season, I only hunted my friend's 40 acre farm. Since I have spent 99% of my time on public.

My friend is going to let me do a little work on the piece, mainly strategically dropping or hinge cutting some trees to create some visual barriers and browse, and maybe some doe bedding. I may plant some apple trees too. He already has a ton of Oaks.

All public until this year. 6 of us leased 80 acres. I got two half day sits.

Back