• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question about a descender

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Anyone ever try using a figure 8 descender? Just curious. I see how it works but u have to control the rate of descent and don't think u can make it stop if u let go on accident. Probably better to get a mechanical one.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
I have used one many times. You can tie your rope off if you wanna stop somewhere along the way while descending. Same with an atc belay device. Your can do those things, but they're not ideal for our purposes as saddle hunters. We spend less time ascending and descending , and most of our time just hanging out at the same height. I'd recommend the Ropeman or duck for most of our hanging purposes and something like the grigri2 or ID or Rig for descending.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
I found that a Blake's hitch tired to your rope and anchored to your line mans belt loop works awesome as a secondary brake and emergency stop

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Awesome thanks guys. I wanna try the figure 8 descender but as I have never done this before. Anyone ever tried the tango cinch descender. Somewhere I read it worked really well.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Re: Question about a descender

Like they said it works as a descender, but its not ideal for our purposes. You have to keep a lot of pressure on it to keep from going down. I keep an ATC descender in my back as a backup because it is small and light. Different method but same idea, its a friction descent device.

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Not sure if I was very clear was probably thinking in my head but I am wanting to rappel down the tree instead of climbing back down. Watch someone on YouTube and he was using a munters hitch with the figure 8 descender. I was thinking of tying a 40ft rope in the tree to rappel down with paracord attached to it to get the rope back off the tree.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com

Eaton said:
Not sure if I was very clear was probably thinking in my head but I am wanting to rappel down the tree instead of climbing back down. Watch someone on YouTube and he was using a munters hitch with the figure 8 descender. I was thinking of tying a 40ft rope in the tree to rappel down with paracord attached to it to get the rope back off the tree.

Yes, that will work. If you are just going straight down, a figure 8 should work fine. If you need to stop and get things like your platform or something it is nice to have something that auto locks like a rig or a gri gri 2. Also one of those is nice because it will catch you if you lose your grip on the rope, whereas with the figure 8 you will just hit the ground... or like Ernie suggested something like a blakes hitch in conjunction with a figure 8.

Reactions: Bango Skank

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Awesome thanks. I believe I gonna like this style of hunting. Been up in a tree sitting and practicing trusting the rope as I try to walk around the tree and also trying g to balance myself better.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Re: RE: Re: Question about a descender

Eaton said:

I usually rappel down also. I might use spurs on the way up, or single rope technique . Once I'm at hunting height, I'm tethered with Ropeman1. When I'm ready to descend, I'll disconnect the Ropeman and use the grigri2. Just pull the handle to control how fast or slow you descend. Once you get used to this, it's way fun in the dark

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question about a descender

essdub said:
Eaton said:

I usually rappel down also. I might use spurs on the way up, or single rope technique . Once I'm at hunting height, I'm tethered with Ropeman1. When I'm ready to descend, I'll disconnect the Ropeman and use the grigri2. Just pull the handle to control how fast or slow you descend. Once you get used to this, it's way fun in the dark

So do u use the same rope to tether off with and also rappel down with. If do u just let the rest of the rope hang down. Just wondering.

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014

You can rappel down using just a biner and a munter hitch. I did it several times last year man that's fun :lol: Very easy to control your speed and no extra gear to carry. You can rappel on a blakes hitch but thats a ton of friction and can burn through the rope so just watch doing that.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015

True.
If you're looking for cheap and lightweight and only intend to use it for descending, get an atc.

Yeah, use same rope to tether and climb. I often use the same continuous piece of rope to climb, tether, lineman, and bridge. But that's another topic altogether.

I sometimes tie a hitch around tree somewhere just below hunting height near my feet to keep rope away from ground and to serve as an additional safety in case I somehow fall due to rope failure. But you could let rope dangle. Try to keep motion to a minimum and keep your rope as scent free as possible

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
The atc look like it is easy and small. I like the way it is used. Yes I will only be rappelling. Thanks. Looks awesome.

SETX hunter

Feb 4, 2021
Yeah, use same rope to tether and climb. I often use the same continuous piece of rope to climb, tether, lineman, and bridge. But that's another topic altogether.
Do you have any posts/videos with details on your setup using 1 rope for LB, tether, bridge, and rappel? I think I’ve got it figured out in my head, but would like to see it in practice.