• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Setting up ??

JEEF

Hi fellow hunters,

I'm very new to the saddle hunting community but am already obsessed. During my late scouting trips I've been practicing climbing and getting set up in my saddle using 4 LW sticks + a modified XOP seat platform. Already I feel like a pro with the ascent being able to get 20' up in around 5 mins but I run into issues as soon as I'm up there. I have the platform + preset whoopie sling in the main part of my pack on my back along with my bow/pack hangar; my issue is not knowing what the best order is to do things, so far this is my best:

1. Remove backpack, pull out platform, (awkwardly) put backpack back on, set up platform.
2. Stand on platform, set up tree sling connection as high as I can reach - disconnect lineman's belt.
3. Remove backpack for a final time, put bow/pack hangar at head height, hang backpack and finally pull up bow.

I realize it's probably just practice makes perfect as most things are but I just want to make sure I'm practicing the right way!

P.S. How far away from the tree do you keep yourselves with the lineman's belt? I feel I might be a little too far because my legs get fairly fatigued just standing on the sticks...

Thanks,
Jeff

I have been thinking about this also. I just picked up a TL saddle and in the process of ordering parts for my XOP platform.

I plan on replacing the suspenders on my saddle with tool belt suspenders so that I will be able to more effectively carry more weight on my saddle. I saw someone had posted a YouTube video about this and it seemed to work good.

Then the plan is to carry everything I need to set up either in my saddle pouches or somehow attached to my saddle. I'm thinking that as I climb I can put my third and 4th LW sticks on each side and hopefully be able to somehow attach my platform to my backside.

Once I get all my parts in I will start playing around with it and fine tune everything.

Noticed lots of views but no responses on this thread. I guess everyone is sitting back with their popcorn waiting to see how others do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you said you will really just have to practice and figure out a system that works for you. I am constantly modifying my mobile strategy and always looking for something better so there is nothing set in stone. Here is what I used very successfully for last season.

I do not use a platform, I use strap on steps for a platform so they are smaller and I can fit them in a pouch. I have found that anything more than 3 sticks is too cumbersome to set up in one trip up. I use 3 sticks with a single aider on each. When I need to get higher I keep 3 or 4 cranford rope steps to get the added height.

I keep my strap on bow/pack holder, strap on step platform, rope steps and bow rope in a small pouch. I hike in with this in my pack but take it out and use a carabiner to attach it to my saddle at the base of the tree. I hook up my pull up rope to my bow. I place the first stick on the tree. I hang one stick over my left shoulder, the other over my right shoulder. I attach my lineman's belt and climb the first stick, attach the second stick, climb it and attach the third stick. Everything else I need is in my pouch so if I need additional height I use my rope steps. I attach my step platform and climb up it. I set up my bow and pack holders and attach my tether. I pull up my bow, unhook my lineman's belt and I'm good to go.

I guess the big thing I notice that may help you is if you can find a way to have your platform out and available to set up as soon as you get to your hunting height.

The trick is attaching your platform to the outside of your pack, or to your saddle before you start climbing. You don't want to take off your pack until you are ready to hang it on the tree.

Here's how I do it. (I'll make a video soon). I realize a picture is worth 1,000 words here, but I'll do my best without pics.

1. When I get to the tree, I attach my platform to the outside of my pack with a loop of 550 cord. The cord is tied to the webbing handle at the very top of my pack.
2. I loop the 550 cord over the bottom tree bracket and let gravity do it's work.
3. When I get to hunting height I reach over my shoulder and pull the platform from the 550 cord loop. It's very simple to do.
4. Attach the platform.
5. BEFORE CLIMBING ON THE PLATFORM, I attach my tether and hook up.
6. I keep my daisy chain bow/pack hanger on my left hip. As soon as I'm on my platform I strap this to the tree so I can remove my pack and place it on my hook.

I'm not an artist, but I think you'll get the idea of how I attach it to my pack.
Platform_zpsp2jwgyof.png

Here is a link to my daisy chain gear hanger.
http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/gear-hanger-bow-holder.2238/

Last edited:
Also, when walking through the woods, my platform is strapped to the outside of my pack so it doesn't clang around. Once I start climbing it's only attached via the 550 cord loop. I've never had an issue with it making noise or swinging around wildly.

P.S. How far away from the tree do you keep yourselves with the lineman's belt? I feel I might be a little too far because my legs get fairly fatigued just standing on the sticks...
Jeff

You are climbing with too much bulk. Sticks (4!) Backpack, Bow AND platform. Leave something on the ground and pull it up. Only carry up what you need to quickly get SAFE in the tree.
RELAX and lean back into the Linesman's belt. You are just expending energy trying to fumble around with your gear. It takes practice and you'll refine it.

This is a bad idea. You can try it yourself but I suggest you save the time and energy and don't. Lumbering through the woods with weight hanging on your saddle sucks. The only pouches I use on my saddle are light dump pouches with my linesman's belt on my right side and my bridge on the left. Keeps them from catching on trees when moving through the woods

Sometimes I carry my tether there as well depending upon my climbing method (I use my tether to climb sometimes). I have a big fleece pouch on the back of my saddle that I can put big ropes in while climbing.

I separate things in stuff sacks so everything I need for a particular task is connected and ready as much as possible..

I have been thinking about this also. I just picked up a TL saddle and in the process of ordering parts for my XOP platform.

I plan on replacing the suspenders on my saddle with tool belt suspenders so that I will be able to more effectively carry more weight on my saddle. I saw someone had posted a YouTube video about this and it seemed to work good.

Then the plan is to carry everything I need to set up either in my saddle pouches or somehow attached to my saddle. I'm thinking that as I climb I can put my third and 4th LW sticks on each side and hopefully be able to somehow attach my platform to my backside.

Once I get all my parts in I will start playing around with it and fine tune everything.

Noticed lots of views but no responses on this thread. I guess everyone is sitting back with their popcorn waiting to see how others do it.

This is a bad idea. You can try it yourself but I suggest you save the time and energy and don't. Lumbering through the woods with weight hanging on your saddle sucks. The only pouches I use on my saddle are light dump pouches with my linesman's belt on my right side and my bridge on the left. Keeps them from catching on trees when moving through the woods

Sometimes I carry my tether there as well depending upon my climbing method (I use my tether to climb sometimes). I have a big fleece pouch on the back of my saddle that I can put big ropes in while climbing.

I separate things in stuff sacks so everything I need for a particular task is connected and ready as much as possible..

Ya, I wasn't talking about while walking in. Only when setting up and climbing tree. Lol

Also, when walking through the woods, my platform is strapped to the outside of my pack so it doesn't clang around. Once I start climbing it's only attached via the 550 cord loop. I've never had an issue with it making noise or swinging around wildly.
Is there a pic you could post of your pack rigged up for when you're walking through the woods? I like the paracord loop idea! Going to give that a go tomorrow.

Thanks for all the other input, very useful information.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't have one. I'm going to do a full video soon.

But basically...

In the pack (Alpz Pursuit)
1. Spurs
2. Rapelling setup (40' Samson Ultratech, descender, carabiner)
3. Extra clothing (if winter)
4. Tree Saddle (if no extra clothing)
5. Calls, kill kit, hunter orange, ranger finder, accessories

Strapped outside
1. Platform

Sit Drag
1. Right hip dump pouch - Tether, Carabiner, bow pull up rope
2. Left hip dump pouch - Tree strap/gear holder with clips, random accessories

I think that's about it.

I don't have one. I'm going to do a full video soon.

But basically...

In the pack (Alpz Pursuit)
1. Spurs
2. Rapelling setup (40' Samson Ultratech, descender, carabiner)
3. Extra clothing (if winter)
4. Tree Saddle (if no extra clothing)
5. Calls, kill kit, hunter orange, ranger finder, accessories

Strapped outside
1. Platform

Sit Drag
1. Right hip dump pouch - Tether, Carabiner, bow pull up rope
2. Left hip dump pouch - Tree strap/gear holder with clips, random accessories

I think that's about it.
Oh okay. Since I'm using sticks would you suggest strapping those to the outside with the platform inside and wearing the saddle in? My furthest hike is about a mile through palmetto.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes. When I use sticks (where spurs aren't allowed) I strap my sticks (3 LoneWolf sticks with aiders) in the bow holder of the pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Def strap the sticks to the pack. With using only a shoulder strap to the sticks, the sticks dig into your shoulder more and all the weight is on only one shoulder. Strap them to the pack.

I'm going to attempt to loose the pack this year. The aero hunter can be worn sorta pack-esque for the walk to the stand. I just have to figure out some details and will post picks. Last year I lugged all that gear in that pack and I don't think I ever opened the **** thing except to get the rope out and one time I had to get rain gear.

This is one thing I think 90% of people over look. They "guess" with to much of this stuff. To me this is what needs to be EXACT.
I wear my saddle, on my saddle is tree strap (right side daisy chained), bridge, linemans belt(left side, daisy chained) and platform (steps on a ratchet strap in my aero bag) attached to back of saddle.
Sling backpack,
Notice that every thing I will need going up the tree and at the top of the tree is in front of me, no need to turn anything around.
Sticks are carried with a spare tree strap slung over the opposite shoulder.
When I get to the tree, I drop my sticks (4 muddy sticks) I unhook them from each other.
First stick off goes on the tree, with the bottom step about 3 inches above knee height.
Sticks 2 and 3 get attached to my saddle via 550 cord see here
Sticks attach.jpg

Then I attach linemans belt, waist no more than 12 inches from the tree, the 4th stick and step up on the bottom step.
I will then attach my bow to my doyle gear hoist.
Once on bottom step, this is key, the second stick goes where the top step is at chin to forehead height, this goes for all steps.
I will set my platform between 10-15 inches above the top step on the last stick.
I step up on the platform and will attach all of my accessory hooks and bow hanger. This is KEY know exactly how high each hook needs to go and where on the tree (3 o'clock, 7:30, ect)
Tree.jpg
Once everything is in the tree I will hook my tree strap and sit back.
Hook pack on tree. Pull up bow, put in hanger and ready to hunt.

Consistency is the key, remember where you put ever thing each time. If you stand on your platform and reference your body parts to how high you put things, it will never change, it makes things simple.

Thanks,
Boswell

Back