• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Simple tree hopper platform

halltrail

Has anyone tried something like this? I'm going to try them tonight.

3315e8e2276556ed79d14fac3ba4b8e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

That's the first time I've seen that. I'm not all that familiar with the tree hopper, but I'm interested to see what others think.

That's the first time I've seen that. I'm not all that familiar with the tree hopper, but I'm interested to see what others think.

I use the treehopper bolts in a lot of places where you are allowed to use screw ins. I cut out some 1/8" plate about 2 3/4 by 7" and welded the plate to the tree bolt.

Treehopper setup:
http://www.treehopperllc.com/

Pic of them on the tree. Nothing like a little poison ivy to avoid.. Lol

9ee6ebf681c951058f31a577368c8a5b.jpg

Yes they rotate.. But they move with my foot... They don't rotate when I remove my foot.... But Ill have to see what they do after being in them for a few hours

Try Bike pedals. They will rotate freely on the bolt instead of spinning the whole bolt. I have been meaning to try it myself. I pretrial some trees and carry bag of bolts to climb but has been using an Ameristep platform. But if I can just drill 3 more holes...

I think they would rotate at just the wrong moment - creative idea though but probably not for me?

Im an avid mt biker...and thought about trying some pedals...but these get me 7" of platform vs smaller bike pedal....i dont know ...but im not to worried about the bolt and platform spinning...if it does should be easy to flip around....could stand on either side of the platform....i dont make any last minute moves between steps if deer come in...most of time you will get busted around here...moving that much. Plus, Im only going to use two of these for my primary position...and the others will be just the bolts. Ill report back later how it goes this afternoon.

I think they would rotate at just the wrong moment - creative idea though but probably not for me?

Im thinking you should be able to control the pedal/platform position by how you place the weight of your foot. Do you think it be much different then being on a screw in or just a bolt...where you foot can rotate on the bolt or screw in... You maybe right though if you are trying to get into position for a shot behind you or some other "off" shot. I will have to be careful as to where my foot is on the platform too I guess....keeping ball of foot at least over the bolt in the center of the platform. Guess ill find out lol...Thanks for the input and thoughts fella's.

Last edited:
I see your foot ending up not being centered properly at the wrong time and your going down like you were in a dunk tank. If you made a fixture that would allow you to consistently drill 2 holes accurately, then a step with 2 bolts of the same spacing might work well. I agree great outside the box approach, now refine it to something that works for you.

I see your foot ending up not being centered properly at the wrong time and your going down like you were in a dunk tank. If you made a fixture that would allow you to consistently drill 2 holes accurately, then a step with 2 bolts of the same spacing might work well. I agree great outside the box approach, now refine it to something that works for you.

Or maybe a step with a bolt on one side and a lag screw on the other so one side slides in and the lag on the other side fixes it in place. Hmmm... This has me thinking.
I will say, those bolts don't look as thick as the ones used for the EZKut system (formerly woodpecker drill). Any idea on the thickness and grade of those bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I didnt see any deer but the platform bolts worked great. Best thing Ive used so far. At least for me. When ever I took my foot off one...they plate stayed at the angle I left it. I actually liked that they rotated...i was able to move my foot like you would a gas pedal to put my foot in different positions to take pressure off my leg. My feet were much happier then being on screw ins or plain bolts...and they were better then strap and ameristeps and I hate dealing with that strap and steps even with the cam buckle. That set up always seem to move/slip down the tree and make noise for me.

Im only a size 9.5 foot...so these were pretty much like standing on the ground. I may plasma cut or drill some holes strategically in the plate to shed some weight.

I will say, those bolts don't look as thick as the ones used for the EZKut system (formerly woodpecker drill). Any idea on the thickness and grade of those bolts?

They are 3/8" and grade 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

How many did you make and use? Did you have 2 to stand on or work your way around the tree?

How many did you make and use? Did you have 2 to stand on or work your way around the tree?

just made the two and tonight used the top of my muddy stick as a third...if I need others...i will just put in bolts...and use the two with platforms as my primary position. But heck...maybe i will make two more...lol

What does the welding do to the properties of the bolt? Sometimes it softens the base material, sometimes it makes the base material brittle like glass?
Yeah... Sometimes welding can have an impact on the material... I could have been a little more careful welding..the one in the picture.. You can see u undercut the bolt a little... But as far as I can tell they held up fine... If not better because the plate displaces some of the weight. I weigh 212 without all my gear. I can't bend them. I guess I could try jumping on them....

Dont forget you should and I am always connected to the tree with a tree tether.. If something I'm standing on fails.. I drop a inch or two. I'm only using these as a platform not for climbing... Although I wouldn't hesitate to... Just not needed for climbing

I like using bolts for climbing because: once the holes are drilled putting them in and taking them out if really easy one handed and quiet if you are careful. And carrying 10-12 bolts is light and gets me up as high as I need.

These metal plates do look comfy...but weight bulk and noise would make me just want to use my Ameristep over center buckle platform.

Unless you are wearing stiff boots, plain bolts aren't fun to stand on for more than just rigging.

Back