• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spikes.

Search climbing spikes thread. A member aka flinginarrows ( hope that was correct spelling) modified his with nylon webbing to eliminate noisy velcro . He loves them.

Search climbing spikes thread. A member aka flinginarrows ( hope that was correct spelling) modified his with nylon webbing to eliminate noisy velcro . He loves them.

Close enough haha. Those are great spikes/pads. You will definitely want to ditch the top Velcro strap and use webbing with a quick release buckle. I love mine!
2badeba3aae2b91d4cc05a46888d1b70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Aero Hunter lineman belt good for a set with spikes or do y'all swap it out with something different?

Yep should work. I prefer a slightly bigger rope when using spikes just to have more grip but I've used ropes down to 8mm without problems. The small ropes are hard to grip tho. The Aero Hunter belt is made from Bandit if I remember right which is fine.

I have often wondered about using spikes but was not really sure how hard they would be on 60 year old arthritic knees. Is it hard on your knees when you are driving the spikes into the tree.
I am always wondering how to get quieter, faster and lighter - I am sure spikes would do that but I am not sure how I would handle it. What do you think flinginairos

i personally don't "drive" my spikes in at all. I keep them very sharp and even reduced the taper on them to make them go in easier. then, I just put the spike where i want it and stand up. I bounce a little if I don't think it went in, but on soft trees that is rarely necessary.

I agree with Ernie. I don't "drive" my spikes in unless a tree is giving me troubles. Normally just put my foot where I want it and stand up. Body weight alone will drive the spike right in.

I have often wondered about using spikes but was not really sure how hard they would be on 60 year old arthritic knees. Is it hard on your knees when you are driving the spikes into the tree.
I am always wondering how to get quieter, faster and lighter - I am sure spikes would do that but I am not sure how I would handle it. What do you think flinginairos

Knee issues here as well. Two flights of stairs and mine are angry. No pain using the spikes. I watched a tube video that noted a little loose is better but I keep them real tight.

Agree with the others that the spikes go in easy. Sometimes I have trouble getting them out cause they go in so well and I have to give them a good yank.
Hi Red.

Your preferred climbing method is still screw in steps not spikes. Just wondering why that it is. I have thought about purchasing spikes Thanks

Hi Red.

Your preferred climbing method is still screw in steps not spikes. Just wondering why that it is. I have thought about purchasing spikes Thanks
I think all of us would agree that a pre set tree with screws is easier to climb than spikes, but the cost of screws adds up and the spikes let you be more spontaneous.

I actually feel more comfortable in spikes because I always envision myself falling and gut hooking myself on a step.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Never climbed with them how big a learning curve is there to them
I think the learning curve is pretty short, but what takes time is confidence. It's new and I find most people want to hug the tree while they climb. What takes time is learning to trust your ropes and actually keep your hips away from the tree. If you try to stand up too straight while you climb, you increase the chances of gaffing out.

I think the learning curve is pretty short, but what takes time is confidence. It's new and I find most people want to hug the tree while they climb. What takes time is learning to trust your ropes and actually keep your hips away from the tree. If you try to stand up too straight while you climb, you increase the chances of gaffing out.

Exactly. I hunted using mine the third time ever using them. I gained confidence pretty quick. You can feel if the spikes are in the tree good and it doesn't take long to get a feel for them. The first few times are a little scary but after that it's awesome being able to walk up any tree as high as you want!

Back