• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Predator Pack Review

HomeTownJB

I will start by saying I have not had the opportunity to hunt while using the Predator Pack yet as our season opens Oct 1 but I've had ample time messing around with it in the back yard, simulating hikes in and setting up in the tree. Overall I am very happy with the pack. I think it serves a multitude of purposes and is a very versatile pack, probably more versatile than it is getting credit for.

The first impression of the pack is that it is well made, just like all of the other Tethrd gear. Yes, it is made in China. Tethrd hasn't hid that fact and they even addressed it in a FB post they made a while back. Given the demand and need to fill orders I understand why they made that decision. I can say, it does not appear to have affected the quality. I am impressed.

The pack fits the predator platform like a glove, duh. That's what it was made for. What I found is that there is still room for other gear in there, although not much. Also, the top doesn't completely close so the risk of something falling out is there. I did find out a water bladder fits pretty well in the pack even with the platform in there. I used a 2L CamelBak for testing. There was a previous post that showed another user doing the same thing, it works. I like that I can keep the feed hose connected to my Tethrd HYS strap to keep it handy and close by. Less movement overall compared to using a water bottle. There are other options for carrying a water bottle as well. More on that later.

The best part of the pack in my opinion is that you can attach lots of accessories and accessory packs utilizing the PALS webbing. I bought a few small packs from Amazon and tried them out. They all work great. You can attach mutiple pouches or just one small pouch and a pouch that holds a water bottle. With two accessory pouches attached I found I had plenty of room for everything else I like to bring with me on a hunt like a grunt tube, headlamp, knife, HYS strap, pull up rope, etc.

As far as climbing methods, I pretty much use sticks exclusively on my run and gun set ups so that is what I attached to the pack. I can say that three muddy pro sticks attach either to the bottom using the accessory straps or you can attach them long ways using the PALS webbing. Both ways felt secure. I imagine that hunters using WE steps will be able to attach those pretty easily as well. Certainly bolts will also pack anywhere on the pack, especially if you use one of the small accessory pouches.

When lashing the sticks verically on the pack using the PALS webbing, I was able to utilize the accessory straps on the bottom of the pack to lash a heavy coat and other layers. I, like many others, like to get mostly dressed once I reach my stand set up. While this won't replace my large backpack for late season, I am confident that I will be able to use this pack well into the colder weather later in the season.

Some cons....obviously you won't be able to pack out an animal with this pack. It is not designed nor meant for that. It has a specific design and purpose. Of course the major complaint we have heard about is the backpack straps that come with it. They do leave much to be desired, but if they had better straps, the cost would be higher....many of us, including me, would have been happy to pay a higher price to have better straps right out of the gate. However, I am sure they wanted to bring the pack to the market ASAP and the stock straps do the trick for now. I am guessing they will eventually sell better straps as an accessory. Smart business move if so. In true Tethrd fashion, they have shown us saddle freaks how to DIY our own upgraded straps. I plan on doing the upgrade myself as soon as I can find the time. Better straps absolutely will help, especially if you're planning on lashing lots of stuff to the pack. If you're a self filmer, this won't fit the bill. You'll still need a larger backpack. BUT, one of the best things about this pack is that the backpack straps are removable and they have MOLLE attachments on the back of the pack which will allow you to attach it to the outside of basically any backpack with ease. I like the idea of having a dedicated pack where my Predator can stay whether I am packing just the Predator and Predator pack in, attaching the pack to a larger backpack or putting it inside of a larger backpack.

In conclusion, this is a home run as far as I'm concerned. I see myself using this pack by itself for 80% of my hunts or so but I am not a self filmer. The rest of the time I will still use it, but just in conjunction with one of my larger packs. For pre set locations this absolutely is perfect. This is also great for early season of course, but like I said, I think it can be utilized far into the season with some mods and add ons. I know that Tethrd is testing a prototype add on pack, that would be a great addition.

Here are some pictures showing some of the accessory packs and set up.

Happy hunting and hang safe.
102351dda45af31d3566343d946e2299.jpg
b9f9c2a010615d475236957d90c7628b.jpg
632b484557b5c4685f9f86195a80919a.jpg
1d299d5436012682ca5b89d33660d6dd.jpg
e6849dbb49b884d0a0319936f50145e9.jpg
ca9c97de5333196722a3480dca4b4710.jpg
751635a6a1c20fd3cc4c601f0b6a8b17.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
great review cant wait to try my pack out as well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Great review! I’m using my Predator pack on the outside molle panel on my Direct Action Dragon Egg and it works great! Since I film I need a slightly larger pack and this on the outside works great to hold my Predator and another Kifaru pouch on the outside for small items
8f8333e0820b28594e5ebf340333deb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review. The predator pack seems like the right size to attach a Molle sustainment pouch to. Maybe have room for a Molle water bottle holder on easy side of it.

Is there a good way to attach the Predator pack to a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 or one of their Pop Up packs? I like the idea of having a dedicated storage area for the Predator but I typically carry way too much gear to fit everything in the Predator Pack. The Scapegoat 25 has been my go-to pack for the past couple of years and it would be great if I could integrate the Predator Pack into that somehow.

I will start by saying I have not had the opportunity to hunt while using the Predator Pack yet as our season opens Oct 1 but I've had ample time messing around with it in the back yard, simulating hikes in and setting up in the tree. Overall I am very happy with the pack. I think it serves a multitude of purposes and is a very versatile pack, probably more versatile than it is getting credit for.

The first impression of the pack is that it is well made, just like all of the other Tethrd gear. Yes, it is made in China. Tethrd hasn't hid that fact and they even addressed it in a FB post they made a while back. Given the demand and need to fill orders I understand why they made that decision. I can say, it does not appear to have affected the quality. I am impressed.

The pack fits the predator platform like a glove, duh. That's what it was made for. What I found is that there is still room for other gear in there, although not much. Also, the top doesn't completely close so the risk of something falling out is there. I did find out a water bladder fits pretty well in the pack even with the platform in there. I used a 2L CamelBak for testing. There was a previous post that showed another user doing the same thing, it works. I like that I can keep the feed hose connected to my Tethrd HYS strap to keep it handy and close by. Less movement overall compared to using a water bottle. There are other options for carrying a water bottle as well. More on that later.

The best part of the pack in my opinion is that you can attach lots of accessories and accessory packs utilizing the MOLLE webbing. I bought a few small packs from Amazon and tried them out. They all work great. You can attach mutiple pouches or just one small pouch and a pouch that holds a water bottle. With two accessory pouches attached I found I had plenty of room for everything else I like to bring with me on a hunt like a grunt tube, headlamp, knife, HYS strap, pull up rope, etc.

As far as climbing methods, I pretty much use sticks exclusively on my run and gun set ups so that is what I attached to the pack. I can say that three muddy pro sticks attach either to the bottom using the accessory straps or you can attach them long ways using the MOLLE webbing. Both ways felt secure. I imagine that hunters using WE steps will be able to attach those pretty easily as well. Certainly bolts will also pack anywhere on the pack, especially if you use one of the small accessory pouches.

When lashing the sticks verically on the pack using the MOLLE webbing, I was able to utilize the accessory straps on the bottom of the pack to lash a heavy coat and other layers. I, like many others, like to get mostly dressed once I reach my stand set up. While this won't replace my large backpack for late season, I am confident that I will be able to use this pack well into the colder weather later in the season.

Some cons....obviously you won't be able to pack out an animal with this pack. It is not designed nor meant for that. It has a specific design and purpose. Of course the major complaint we have heard about is the backpack straps that come with it. They do leave much to be desired, but if they had better straps, the cost would be higher....many of us, including me, would have been happy to pay a higher price to have better straps right out of the gate. However, I am sure they wanted to bring the pack to the market ASAP and the stock straps do the trick for now. I am guessing they will eventually sell better straps as an accessory. Smart business move if so. In true Tethrd fashion, they have shown us saddle freaks how to DIY our own upgraded straps. I plan on doing the upgrade myself as soon as I can find the time. Better straps absolutely will help, especially if you're planning on lashing lots of stuff to the pack. If you're a self filmer, this won't fit the bill. You'll still need a larger backpack. BUT, one of the best things about this pack is that the backpack straps are removable and they have MOLLE attachments on the back of the pack which will allow you to attach it to the outside of basically any backpack with ease. I like the idea of having a dedicated pack where my Predator can stay whether I am packing just the Predator and Predator pack in, attaching the pack to a larger backpack or putting it inside of a larger backpack.

In conclusion, this is a home run as far as I'm concerned. I see myself using this pack by itself for 80% of my hunts or so but I am not a self filmer. The rest of the time I will still use it, but just in conjunction with one of my larger packs. For pre set locations this absolutely is perfect. This is also great for early season of course, but like I said, I think it can be utilized far into the season with some mods and add ons. I know that Tethrd is testing a prototype add on pack, that would be a great addition.

Here are some pictures showing some of the accessory packs and set up.

Happy hunting and hang safe.
102351dda45af31d3566343d946e2299.jpg
b9f9c2a010615d475236957d90c7628b.jpg
632b484557b5c4685f9f86195a80919a.jpg
1d299d5436012682ca5b89d33660d6dd.jpg
e6849dbb49b884d0a0319936f50145e9.jpg
ca9c97de5333196722a3480dca4b4710.jpg
751635a6a1c20fd3cc4c601f0b6a8b17.jpg

Where did you get the coyote brown (?) molle pouch?

Did he have to do any diy stuff (sewing, etc) to install these straps or did they fit with the current buckles, etc?

Said it was a straight forward

Here are links to the pouches, all were bought of Amazon:

FUNANASUN 2 Pack Molle Pouches... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072TSZCHG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Gonex Tactical Military MOLLE... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GQKVQH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Orca Tactical MOLLE Horizontal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N07O6E2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The GONEX brand coyote brown pouch is made to hold a water bottle. It fits a nalgene 32 oz bottle perfectly. It's mesh on the bottom. The Orca pouch does have Velcro inside but that can be cut out if need be. There are certainly other options, such as Kifaru like Jared has or 5.11 Tactical makes some pouches as well. If you search "MOLLE Pouch" on Amazon you'll also get more options and results. Anything around 9" wide seems to fit the pack perfectly.

Thanks for the review. What are you using to attach the sticks vertically?
I used two large niteize gear ties and ran them diagonally through two rows of PALS webbing at the top and bottom of the pack. I then ran them up and through my sticks and twisted them down. Seemed to work just fine. I am sure there is a better way but haven't had time to think of other options.

Last edited:
I used two large niteize gear ties and ran them diagonally through two rows of MOLLE webbing at the top and bottom of the pack. I then ran them up and through my sticks and twisted them down. Seemed to work just fine. I am sure there is a better way but haven't had time to think of other options.

Thanks

Great review! I’m using my Predator pack on the outside molle panel on my Direct Action Dragon Egg and it works great! Since I film I need a slightly larger pack and this on the outside works great to hold my Predator and another Kifaru pouch on the outside for small items
8f8333e0820b28594e5ebf340333deb1.jpg

What size kifaru pouch is that? Small, medium or large?

Back