• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do you do with all those antlers...

MattMan81

SH Member
It was exciting at first... I had my first gun, archery, and smaller bucks along the way. After I got a little more serious I got some standard 8 pts I have euro mounted in the house. Don't really want anymore in the house unless it's a good one. Got a few in the garage, but not to much room there. What else can I do with antlers? I like the eruo mounts, but they do take up a little more room than just the rack. What do you guys do with em all? Art work? Rattle antlers? Ideas?

As I have gotten older and have shot more quality bucks, I set a standard for myself. I still pay to have my euro mounts done, so I won't shoot any buck now that I am not willing to spend the $$ (currently $150) on for the euro mount (or full mount). If I just want or need meat, I will shoot does.

I usually give them away here/AT, sell them for a couple bucks or donate them to places like animal shelters or schools. Schools love them as teaching aids for kids.

Sadly, They all sit in boxes or buckets in my garage waiting for me to memorialize them. These are full racks of the bucks I have taken with skull plates attached. I only mount or euro mount the ones in which I am most proud. My plan is to have several lengths of black walnut with routered edges put up with all the racks attached to it in linear order as best as I can remember. I’ll just ensure the skull plates look decent and screw the m to the walnut. I’m not very fancy.

I make the steel bracket to hang on wall. I like it better than the wood plaques.

Attachments

• Resized_20230925_072310_4726.jpeg
    Resized_20230925_072310_4726.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Resized_20230925_072327_5270 (1).jpeg
    Resized_20230925_072327_5270 (1).jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 42
Do you have a shed or detached work shop? You can hang them in there, or on the outside wall. All the sheds I find go straight to the dogs. My Shepard has demolished the left side of a basket rack 8 I found in about the last 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most are sitting in a tote in the garage. The nicer ones I have Euro mounted. I'll never do a mount. Don't care how big it is. 900+$ to stare at something seems asinine to me. What's more important to me is the memories, and that's between my ears and is free

Do you have a shed or detached work shop? You can hang them in there, or on the outside wall. All the sheds I find go straight to the dogs. My Shepard has demolished the left side of a basket rack 8 I found in about the last 3 days.

My dog doesn't chew on bones.. He is such a weird dog.

Most are sitting in a tote in the garage. The nicer ones I have Euro mounted. I'll never do a mount. Don't care how big it is. 900+$ to stare at something seems asinine to me. What's more important to me is the memories, and that's between my ears and is free
I had one done 8 years ago. $500. Was the biggest deer I ever saw in the woods, and I got to put an arrow thru it. Some times I wish I never had it done.
But It would have to be something monstrous for me to do it again. I seen a few bigger ones since then. But not sure they would be worth spending the money on. It's gotta be an absolute beast, or one heck of a memory.

I've euro mounted a bunch myself. If I get one that I really like but don't want to mount I will still do that. Other than that I started skull capping again. Right now they're in a pile but as I get my basement back in order post water proofing construction I'm planning on getting some nice planks and mounting a bunch of them on the planks to display them.

My father has most of his in a pile on his mantle over the fireplace. It takes up most of the mantle lol. Not very organized but it adds a look to the room.

Barns and sheds are popular rack shacks around here.

Back