• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Working out

Bowhunter41002

Does anyone workout any to try to stay in shape for deer season and if so what do u do?
Me I use a trx, a sandbag, a heavy ball, kettlebells, and a strongman log. Also got a tractor tire, sledgehammer weighted wheel barrel, strongman log and some farmers walk rails. I do something different about everyday unless I am too sore. Most of my stuff is homemade or everyday items. Here is a pic of my homemade strongman log.

I do a lot of digging, planting, and sit up push up and pull up in spring summer and fall. Of course i have a physical job and i hike and climb and do dumb stuff that requires strength and lack of good judgment year round. But during winter, and really bad this year, I always gain a ton of weight. Like twenty or more pounds. But, I usually am able to get back to slightly chubby by fall. Currently I'm weighing in around 209- 215 actual today it was 211, when back in November I was 195 or so. So I guess it's the winter blues

Shaun

This year, my focus is physical therapy for a separated shoulder. Personal trainer is in house once or twice a week, and sends a third workout to do on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be a great thread to follow in interested to see what you guys do out there.

Currently i just do pushups sits and lunges. The one area i notices i lacked in during last hunting season was my legs didnt hold up like they used to in the past. Id like to do some sort of weighted squats or something to help.

Its hard for me to get motivated with a 3 year old who wakes up 3 times a night

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In the off season I try to workout how to kill more deer :D no really I don't work out per say but try to keep up hiking and climbing in the off season.

Get a trx suspension trainer. I got one actually I got a copy cat no name brand off eBay for about 40 bucks. A true trx is around 200. I love mine.

My hunting typically involves less than a hour of walking and several hours of sitting. So to prep in the office season I try to sit on my butt and watch a lot of TV. It helps to strengthen the sitting muscles.

Other than that... I swim. My moms family has bad backs and my dads side has bad knees. So I like swimming for low impact.

Plus it works a lot of the body at once and time is always short.

Re: RE: Re: Working out

Maustypsu said:
My hunting typically involves less than a hour of walking and several hours of sitting. So to prep in the office season I try to sit on my butt and watch a lot of TV. It helps to strengthen the sitting muscles.

Other than that... I swim. My moms family has bad backs and my dads side has bad knees. So I like swimming for low impact.

Plus it works a lot of the body at once and time is always short.
All that sitting and tv HAS to pay off.
I don't own a tv, but I do a fair amount of nothing. I gUess that's why I gain weight in winter. There's no veggies to pick, no bunnies to cull and freeze, no weeds to pull from garden.
I try to spend as much time outdoors as possible. But after deer season, I develop an allergy to temperatures below about fifty degrees.
I've been doing a bit of clearing out in the woods. I try to make a new small clearing every year to plant fruit trees and throw n grow stuff. Plus my guerrilla gardens. Dang deer keep killing a lot of the smaller trees and bushes. So I do a bit of digging

Shaun

M- treadmill 2 miles/ weights ( chest ,triceps)
T- treadmill 3 miles/ weights( back, biceps)
W- treadmill 3 miles/weights ( shoulders, core)
Th- no treadmill/ weights( legs)
F- treadmill 1 mile/ weights ( chest, triceps)
Weekends- OFF

When hunting season starts- the workouts can wait ;)

Dang, paint you green and watch out for the incredible Huck.
Never been much for gym stuff. But I work hard in the yard and the woods. Chopping wood, digging, cutting trees. Plus the sit ups push ups and pull ups,I stay strong even when I put on the hibernation belt.

Shaun

I've gained about forty pounds of baby weight.I haven't been able to lose it and she's a year old now. We have another one on the way so hopefully I don't gain any more.
I did insanity a few years ago and got in pretty good shape. I have t25. May start trying to fit that in.

essdub said:
Dang, paint you green and watch out for the incredible Huck.
Never been much for gym stuff. But I work hard in the yard and the woods. Chopping wood, digging, cutting trees. Plus the sit ups push ups and pull ups,I stay strong even when I put on the hibernation belt.

Shaun
Lol, I'll never be a meathead or the Hulk. Just love the energy and strength and youthfulness it provides. After all, climbing trees will ultimately become a chore no matter what method we use. I intend to be strong and able as long as possible. Lord willing ;)

Lol yeah having kids put on some pounds every pregnancy. My wife looses hers but I keep mine on! Lol
My brother is a gym nut. Lives there 6-7 days a week after work. I tell him he has air condition muscles. He came in the woods with me a couple years ago to clear trails and that machete whooped him. The next morning he said he could barely grip his tooth brush. Lol he is strong and built but work muscles are different than gym muscles.
I don't exercise but when I was planning an elk hunt in Colorado I planned to get my but in shape. I know them mountains would whip me. I'm use to flat ground.

Ive been weight training/bodybuilding for almost 20 years. I'm a proud meat head. I have a full gym in my basement as part of my man cave. I enjoy lifting really heavy things and working the bag. I train 5 days per week during the snowy season. Less once things start to green. Even less during hunting season. I'm too heavy right now. My wife and I welcomed another child last November. The demands of early stage parenthood coupled with holiday eats weren't good for my waistline. The weight is falling of reasonably fast though. I should be at good weight by summer if I can maintain the cadence.

BassBoysLLP said:
Ive been weight training/bodybuilding for almost 20 years. I'm a proud meat head. I have a full gym in my basement as part of my man cave. I enjoy lifting really heavy things and working the bag. I train 5 days per week during the snowy season. Less once things start to green. Even less during hunting season. I'm too heavy right now. My wife and I welcomed another child last November. The demands of early stage parenthood coupled with holiday eats weren't good for my waistline. The weight is falling of reasonably fast though. I should be at good weight by summer if I can maintain the cadence.
Having kids will certainly knock you off schedule. But what a wonderful excuse they provide to stay home or not go down to the basement and work out. Amazing they are!!!!! I would love to have my own equipment but I don't. Convenient and free ( after you pay for it of course)

huck72412 said:
Weekends- OFF

Dang! I know who I'm calling if I end up needing to drag 200+ lbs uphill at Saddlepalooza!!!

Maustypsu said:
huck72412 said:
Weekends- OFF

Dang! I know who I'm calling if I end up needing to drag 200+ lbs uphill at Saddlepalooza!!!
Haha!!! I'll be dragging my own Mike. You're gonna have to lean on BassBoys for that :lol:

I do alot of running and p90x style works. I do a bunch of crazy workout races in the offseason. Tough mudder, Spartan, goruck etc. If my diet was better I'd look as in shape as I feel. Planning a half marathon in April.

Erniepower said:
I do alot of running and p90x style works. I do a bunch of crazy workout races in the offseason. Tough mudder, Spartan, goruck etc. If my diet was better I'd look as in shape as I feel. Planning a half marathon in April.

That's awesome Ernie!! I've been thinking about the workout races a good bit. And you are "the man" if you do p90x regularly. That's intense.

Back