• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wrong Side Of The Tree

ricky racer

What do you guys do when the perfect tree in the perfect spot is leaning the wrong way? I've had it happen too many times. If I'm on the right side of the tree (leaning away from me), I'm facing the wrong direction to shoot where i expect the deer to come. Seems like hanging under the tree on the wrong side would be difficult or uncomfortable....

Ricky, is the tree lean towards you or away from you? Just remember it is always harder to go against gravity or uphill than it is to go downhill. I always try to set up where the deer will walk by to left, for a right-handed shooter, and offer a quartering or broadside shot after they pass the tree I'm in. If possible I would try and get where there is the least amount of curve in the tree and just remember it will take more effort going to the uphill side. Sorry if I'm not explaining it clearly but it can be done but you just have to set up a little differently.

Roger,

Yeah just don't do like I did one time while showing my buddies the Evolution and spin around the tree like I was in a swing!!!:blush::)

If you hang, Gravity will swing you to the side where the tree is leaning towards you. If you get on the high side, you can stand comfortably../but if you start to move around the side, you'll swing
That's the issue that I'm wanting to resolve, what do you guys do when the perfect tree in the perfect location is leaning the wrong way. I usually look for another tree but there's usually only one perfect tree location. I'm just looking for any tips or tricks you guys might use to hunt that tree.

You just can't comfortably be in the middle. Pick low or high. Keep your tether low and short for more stability.

Sometimes you can park your tether on the high side of the tree and run it around to where you want to be

Ricky if you search the site there should be pictures of guys set up in trees that are leaning. Some adjust the tie-in point so that they don't have that extreme swing on the downhill side and others adjust the steps to help offset the swing as well. If I find a better description or pics I'll post them.

Roger,

I like to set up with the tree leaning to me if it has a strong lean. That way I'm where gravity wants me. I don't want to be on the other side and lean out and gravity swings me under the lean. I want control, so I set up under the lean and I just push out to shoot around the tree and I'm solid. No free fall swing.

Hanging on the underside of a leaning tree can be done but usually not comfortably. If it's a tree I'll only hunt once I'll tolerate it for a few hours. Low tree tether hook up try below eye level and adjust from there. The hardest thing will be you will want to "hang" quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys do when the perfect tree in the perfect spot is leaning the wrong way? I've had it happen too many times. If I'm on the right side of the tree (leaning away from me), I'm facing the wrong direction to shoot where i expect the deer to come. Seems like hanging under the tree on the wrong side would be difficult or uncomfortable....

I will set up on the high side of the tree like I normally would. I put screw in steps or whatever platform extra high on the downside of the tree so they are easier for me to stand on as I hang around the tree. I will use a higher tether height than normal so I have more rope to go around the tree and then I will hang around the side of the tree looking back to the high side. This is not always the most comfortable set up but this is how I do it and it can work.

This is one of the advantages of a platform - I am never on the wrong side of a tree - for leaning trees I set up on top of the lean and with the platform I can shoot where ever I want. If you have a leaning tree and try to walk around it good luck - you are going to make a lot of motion and your balance will be out of whack as gravity shifts - at least it was always awkward for me to walk around a leaner.

This is one of the advantages of a platform - I am never on the wrong side of a tree - for leaning trees I set up on top of the lean and with the platform I can shoot where ever I want. If you have a leaning tree and try to walk around it good luck - you are going to make a lot of motion and your balance will be out of whack as gravity shifts - at least it was always awkward for me to walk around a leaner.

Dave, I agree while it can be done it is not always the most graceful of maneuvers and you have to be careful your momentum doesn't cause you to move too far or bang into the tree. In these situations, I think Red's "Golden Rule" about seeing the deer first and setting up for the shot definitely comes into play. I use screw in steps for most of my setups so I'll keep the tip about the platform in mind when I'm forced to hunt from a leaning tree.

Roger,

Another tip is the placement of your knot on your tree strap. This can easily counter act slight leans in trees. Gravity will always win, but you can counter this by putting your knot on the up hill slide of the tree. Your saddle will tend to want to sit directly under this knot on the tree, by moving it to the uphill side it will "fight" that gravity a little.

Thanks,
Boswell

Another tip is the placement of your knot on your tree strap. This can easily counter act slight leans in trees. Gravity will always win, but you can counter this by putting your knot on the up hill slide of the tree. Your saddle will tend to want to sit directly under this knot on the tree, by moving it to the uphill side it will "fight" that gravity a little.

Thanks,
Boswell

I figured that out yesterday and it worked great on my leaning tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will always set up on the high side or as I call it the squirrel side. If the deer are coming from behind you I would try to let them pass by for a quartering away shot. I hope this is what you meant.

I agree with Dave. I had a leaner and with my platform I was able to set up with it leaning toward me. The platform put my feet further from the tree, making it not a big leaner anymore if that makes sense?

Back