• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP/Ameristep combo

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I took off the amsteel, added a Lone Wolf strap, but threaded a couple Ameristeps onto the strap. I'm still not a huge fan of relying on the ear, but that's why I'm testing it out at ground level now instead of up in a tree. I can't speak for anyone else. But I'll always be hooked up before stepping onto it, and I'll have an amsteel rope in the pack. So in the off chance an ear does break on me, I'll need to climb down and recover the platform but can stick the amsteel back on and salvage the hunt.

The challenge I always had with the platform was that I couldn't shoot from 11-1 o clock on larger trees. This should solve that problem, for a minimal weight penalty. Plus, there's no denying that the Lone Wolf strap is so much faster and easier than getting the perfect tension on the Jim Stepp knot. The Ameristeps feel pretty solid.
94ea2c0d902c41219b66847edc1acaac.jpg
53d757ac85cd05bdc9c6be4ce5012889.jpg
3847e018cf56f70008c7506cba96361f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And here's an alternative way to attach that uses a carabiner and amsteel continuous loop instead of the ear. The amsteel is not larks headed. So if I'm understanding correctly you should still have roughly the full strength of the continuous loop. The carabiner is 12kN. This was also very easy in actual use.
ccc65ba3b459683d97876470c1b3af21.jpg

I took off the amsteel, added a Lone Wolf strap, but threaded a couple Ameristeps onto the strap. I'm still not a huge fan of relying on the ear, but that's why I'm testing it out at ground level now instead of up in a tree. I can't speak for anyone else. But I'll always be hooked up before stepping onto it, and I'll have an amsteel rope in the pack. So in the off chance an ear does break on me, I'll need to climb down and recover the platform but can stick the amsteel back on and salvage the hunt.

The challenge I always had with the platform was that I couldn't shoot from 11-1 o clock on larger trees. This should solve that problem, for a minimal weight penalty. Plus, there's no denying that the Lone Wolf strap is so much faster and easier than getting the perfect tension on the Jim Stepp knot. The Ameristeps feel pretty solid.
94ea2c0d902c41219b66847edc1acaac.jpg
53d757ac85cd05bdc9c6be4ce5012889.jpg
3847e018cf56f70008c7506cba96361f.jpg

My setup is very similar except I have an endless loop ratchet for the ameristeps that I setup separate from the platform attachment. I like having platform setup and then being able to fine tune adjustment for each ameristep separate. I can get em super tight so they don’t budge with ratcheted too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to add an Ameristep on my strong side. I may steal the carabiner/continuous loop as well. Solid ideas!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Not to High jack thread but what I’ve really liked is 3 steps. I set one at 7:00 and one at 4 for straddling the tree and one at like a 11:00 for when I need to pivot around the tree. I’m a right handed shooter. Good info Garrett

Any video of how to make a continuous loop w Amsteel?

So do you make the continuous loop on the platform or somehow attach it after???

So do you make the continuous loop on the platform or somehow attach it after???

I think the way I've shown it is possibly the best way. I just leave the loop in the carabiner. Then wrap the loop through the platform and hook the loose end back into the carabiner. This does 3 things: 1) eliminates need for a larkshead - which lowers break strength. In fact, you might even gain strength because the rope is doubled over, similar to a soft shackle 2) makes is so that you can't lose the loop while walking in, and 3) shortens the distance between the platform and the buckle, which sets the minimum distance you can place a step on that side. If you were to larkshead, or even splice the loop directly onto the platform, you wouldn't be able to place a step very close to the platform. On a small-medium sized tree, that might mean not having a step exactly where you'd want it.

I think the way I've shown it is possibly the best way. I just leave the loop in the carabiner. Then wrap the loop through the platform and hook the loose end back into the carabiner. This does 3 things: 1) eliminates need for a larkshead - which lowers break strength. In fact, you might even gain strength because the rope is doubled over, similar to a soft shackle 2) makes is so that you can't lose the loop while walking in, and 3) shortens the distance between the platform and the buckle, which sets the minimum distance you can place a step on that side. If you were to larkshead, or even splice the loop directly onto the platform, you wouldn't be able to place a step very close to the platform. On a small-medium sized tree, that might mean not having a step exactly where you'd want it.

Great points to take into consideration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

im experimenting with this on my new platform build also.. I noticed that the steps tend to scoot the strap down the tree a bit after shifting weight on and off a couple of times which made me nervous about effecting the cam over in the strap. Also, the steps move down the tree initially which puts the steps on a different plane than the platform.

I also found the steps made some noise while they were on the same strap as the platform and it was a bit easier to set them up on a different strap, you can also place the second strap a bit higher to help keep the steps at the same height as the platform.

I'm still working out the theory also, just thought I'd share my observations.

BTW- bowhunter15- what is the piece of material you've used on your platform build? Is that something you milled on your router at home? I like the I-beam profile and it appears to be solid where the tree brackets attach.

Also, how long is that piece? Just looking for comparisons- the one on my platform is about 10 inches mainly because I messed one end up of my 12 inch section doing strength testing.. lol

im experimenting with this on my new platform build also.. I noticed that the steps tend to scoot the strap down the tree a bit after shifting weight on and off a couple of times which made me nervous about effecting the cam over in the strap. Also, the steps move down the tree initially which puts the steps on a different plane than the platform.

I also found the steps made some noise while they were on the same strap as the platform and it was a bit easier to set them up on a different strap, you can also place the second strap a bit higher to help keep the steps at the same height as the platform.

I'm still working out the theory also, just thought I'd share my observations.

BTW- bowhunter15- what is the piece of material you've used on your platform build? Is that something you milled on your router at home? I like the I-beam profile and it appears to be solid where the tree brackets attach.

Also, how long is that piece? Just looking for comparisons- the one on my platform is about 10 inches mainly because I messed one end up of my 12 inch section doing strength testing.. lol
I mentioned doing this a while ago and people mentioned that the steps may push the strap down so i never tried it.

It's a 9" I beam that I machined.
28cc3c714e1b7b31c33def48822efb25.jpg

My setup is very similar except I have an endless loop ratchet for the ameristeps that I setup separate from the platform attachment. I like having platform setup and then being able to fine tune adjustment for each ameristep separate. I can get em super tight so they don’t budge with ratcheted too.

@Tracker15, have you figured out how to keep the ratchet really quiet? I've been using the ocb but don't really like it, but maybe I'm getting better at using it. I've got a long endless strap ratchet but have been too afraid of the noise to use it.

@Tracker15, have you figured out how to keep the ratchet really quiet? I've been using the ocb but don't really like it, but maybe I'm getting better at using it. I've got a long endless strap ratchet but have been too afraid of the noise to use it.

I pull it as tight as I can before ratcheting it. It still makes some noise, but it’s worth it for me because I get the steps crazy tight, so they don’t slide on the strap for me. I also use the endless loop ratchet to hold my muddy sticks to my platform when carrying in and out. I use a lone wolf carrying strap they designed for carrying their sticks to carry my platform and sticks. Everything is tight and quiet.

I pull it as tight as I can before ratcheting it. It still makes some noise, but it’s worth it for me because I get the steps crazy tight, so they don’t slide on the strap for me. I also use the endless loop ratchet to hold my muddy sticks to my platform when carrying in and out. I use a lone wolf carrying strap they designed for carrying their sticks to carry my platform and sticks. Everything is tight and quiet.

fffc737ba73700d5ca98545c07774959.jpg

Carrying strap

Back