• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summit Open Shot alternative to LWHC

@MaxJac has his stirrups mounted on the arms of his LWHC, not the base of the stand. It works well from the little I messed with it a few weeks ago. He also has a strap across the platform base.

I need to find a way to increase that arm angle without drilling a hole.
with a bit practice, the stirrups help you to increase the angle when needed. Like you, I did not want to drill a hole. If I climb a straight pole, the strap across the platform is sufficient.

Yeah, I got good at unhinging a summit cable from pine bark by pointing my toes down. Could try the same. Adding a bungy to the front side of the stirrups would help also.

@mtsrunner and @Bwhana , how do you like your new toys? Had a chance to play?

I don’t have mine, yet. Lone Wolf website stated in stock and ready to ship when I ordered on 3/9. After 10 days I emailed them asking for an update. They finally got back to me and said they were waiting on castings from a supplier. I’m cancelled my order and ordered from Optics Planet for $30 less and it should be here Thursday.

Bwhana has played with his some and told me yesterday that he thinks it will be a winner.

I don’t have mine, yet. Lone Wolf website stated in stock and ready to ship when I ordered on 3/9. After 10 days I emailed them asking for an update. They finally got back to me and said they were waiting on castings from a supplier. I’m cancelled my order and ordered from Optics Planet for $30 less and it should be here Thursday.

Bwhana has played with his some and told me yesterday that he thinks it will be a winner.
That stinks... I remember, I got mine from Optic Planets as well. Thursday is only 2 days away, so you should have plenty to play with over the weekend.

I moved the stirrups over from my Summit and tried them, but didn't find them useful for me since they are too far away from the base. I girth hitched one of the straps that came with it to form 2 adjustable foot loops and I can control the angle with my feet just fine with it on the tree. I also have a simple, low cost way to make the bar angle greater without doing a bolt mod, but need to have more tree time before I share it. I would not recommend drilling this platform for any reason.

I'm gonna try to use the stirrups to increase the arm angle while adding some cord tied to the end of the stand to manipulate the base angle. Interested in your no-drill option for the arm angle though.

I moved the stirrups over from my Summit and tried them, but didn't find them useful for me since they are too far away from the base. I girth hitched one of the straps that came with it to form 2 adjustable foot loops and I can control the angle with my feet just fine with it on the tree. I also have a simple, low cost way to make the bar angle greater without doing a bolt mod, but need to have more tree time before I share it. I would not recommend drilling this platform for any reason.
For normal climbing, I use the strap for my feet only. Only when I'm struggling with the bark or for any other reason the belt is not moving up, I use the stirrups. Please share your no-drill option for the arm angle when you're ready to do so.

A no-drill method would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna have to try this out. I have an openshot at the house. I'm thinking that I might loosen the belt so that the platform is not 90 deg to the tree. I'm thinking more like 120 and that way I can cut down on the ankle fatigue and make for easier climbing.

Thanks guys you may have saved me $150.

During the last hunting season, I learned that if I set the LWHC at the tree with the platform slightly up, by the time I'm at hunting hight, the platform has the perfect down angle to be comfortable for my feet without adjusting the belt during the climb. I have also found if the platform is leaning down too much, the belt might be, what I call "too long" and the platform could fold downwards... if that makes sense. There is a sweet spot, which I can't really measure in degrees, as I'm on the platform, in a tree.

However, in order to overcome the initial bigger diameter of the tree on the first 3 - 4 ft, I'm thinking about setting the platform above that spot and use an aider to get up to the platform. Once on the platform, I'll put the aider back in my pocket. No further need for it, other that using it as a rescue step in case the platform drops down and I have to shift load from the tether to the rappelling rope. Reach out if I need to clarify more...

For those of us in the south who hunt mostly pines, using a hand climber seems to me to be the lightest and least bulky method of getting up the tree. The whole system (saddle, climber, tether) is like 8 lbs or so. And more importantly you grab 3 items and you have the whole system. If you have straight trees without branches, it seems the most efficient way to go.

For those of us in the south who hunt mostly pines, using a hand climber seems to me to be the lightest and least bulky method of getting up the tree. The whole system (saddle, climber, tether) is like 8 lbs or so. And more importantly you grab 3 items and you have the whole system. If you have straight trees without branches, it seems the most efficient way to go.

Agreed. Where I hunt, we don’t have pines, but a ton of straight oaks and poplars that’s are limbless until 20-30’.

If anyone hauls more than 7-10 lbs, they are just not trying. I'm talking saddle and climbing gear only, not the weapon, license, flashlight, or other items you must have regardless of method.

If anyone hauls more than 7-10 lbs, they are just not trying. I'm talking saddle and climbing gear only, not the weapon, license, flashlight, or other items you must have regardless of method.

I agree. And that includes backup means to get down the tree in the event that Mr Murphy decides to visit.

Back