• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform with an additional step?

Buckhorn70

SH Member
Are any of you guys using a platform affixing an additional step for more leverage around the tree?

Meaning standing on the platform and facing the tree (12 o,clock) and putting a step at 9 o’clock(to the left) so you can get to the top side of the tree easier for a shot. If so....what method? A screw in step, a squirrel step on the strap,etc.

Interested in ideas you may have or tried.

I've got a tree with extra step for climbing and setting platform. I sometimes put my foot on it if bored, but not needed to shoot.

If you use climing sticks try placing your platform near level with the top of a climbing stick at your 9 o'clock, opposite if your right handed.

that’s a good idea.

It works great, like a mini platform. On some setups, I've put it at 3 o'clock even because I thought I might want to lean there and wait for a time, if I wasn't sure where the deer were coming from (and I'm a rightie). Then the you'd step on the platform to your 9. Very flexible depending upon situation.

Did someone post a picture of four 3” x 3” step strapped to tree? Can’t find it and interested in brand / source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a predator with 2 to 4 squirrel steps and an OCB from DanO ...depending on the size of the tree...they lock down tight and makes it much easier to shoot different quadrants of the "clock"...light and fit right in my sys hauler under my linemans belt...

This topic has been discussed on here many times.
I'm a firm advocate of it.
One Treehopper step on my strong side and my top climbing step (usually a bolt) on my weak side. I like just one step on the strap because it simplifies and quiets the transport and wrap up better than having multiple steps on the strap.
Ive posted pics of an easy bungee mod that helps manage the step position on the strap. I highly recommend that mod with the bungee.

My choice of my climbing side of ANY platform goes way back to my early days of Screaming Eagle platforms. Those had the chain hook on the right side of the platform so they were always to be set to the left side of your climbing system.
So these days, I continue the same system...I always climb up to the right of where I plan to set the platform.
d474f1676e43bf56fde4f30d58205389.jpg
060acfbad9ebd80ffa6f8bc526bbc0c3.jpg
7d8a737b82a259083630ef0f8b9f1ad5.jpg

Last edited:
This topic has been discussed on here many times.
I'm a firm advocate of it.
One Treehopper step on my strong side and my top climbing step (usually a bolt) on my weak side. I like just one step on the strap because it simplifies and quiets the transport and wrap up better than having multiple steps on the strap.
Ive posted pics of an easy bungee mod that helps manage the step position on the strap. I highly recommend that mod with the bungee.

My choice of my climbing side of ANY platform goes way back to my early days of Screaming Eagle platforms. Those had the chain hook on the right side of the platform so they were always to be set to the left side of your climbing system.
So these days, I continue the same system...I always climb up to the right of where I plan to set the platform.
d474f1676e43bf56fde4f30d58205389.jpg
060acfbad9ebd80ffa6f8bc526bbc0c3.jpg
7d8a737b82a259083630ef0f8b9f1ad5.jpg

Does this put the step to high in relationship to your platform?

Does this put the step to high in relationship to your platform?
No it is not too high, in fact, it's better to have those additional steps higher than the platform. Another reason for having an extra step on each side of the platform is for comfort. An all-day hang eventually gets tiresome on the feet regardless of what platform or ROS you are using, but if you have a couple "foot rests" that are above the level of the platform, you'll find it just feels nice to have a different spot to occasionally rest your foot for a while during the day. I like to place those steps just far off of the platform so my toe rests the step while my heel is still on the back edge of the platform. That position puts my foot and ankle in a more natural position when I'm leaning, but the step is still out there as an aid to moving on/off the platform.
Level with, (or even worse) below the platform doesn't work as well because you actually have to reach for it with your foot, which takes more muscle control and more movement. You may even have to bend your other leg to dip your body lower in order to get your foot onto a level step. I've positioned the extra steps in practically every position and for my taste, the steps have to be above the platform and just under the length of my boot from the platform.

Try this sometime when you are practicing...Put a step level or below the platform, and simulate being out around the tree on that step for an extended period of time (as if you are hiding behind the tree to avoid detection), and then try to slowly go back onto the platform. Note that you will feel more awkward with less control of your speed than you will be with the step higher than the platform.

No it is not too high, in fact, it's better to have those additional steps higher than the platform. Another reason for having an extra step on each side of the platform is for comfort. An all-day hang eventually gets tiresome on the feet regardless of what platform or ROS you are using, but if you have a couple "foot rests" that are above the level of the platform, you'll find it just feels nice to have a different spot to occasionally rest your foot for a while during the day. I like to place those steps just far off of the platform so my toe rests the step while my heel is still on the back edge of the platform. That position puts my foot and ankle in a more natural position when I'm leaning, but the step is still out there as an aid to moving on/off the platform.
Level with, (or even worse) below the platform doesn't work as well because you actually have to reach for it with your foot, which takes more muscle control and more movement. You may even have to bend your other leg to dip your body lower in order to get your foot onto a level step. I've positioned the extra steps in practically every position and for my taste, the steps have to be above the platform and just under the length of my boot from the platform.

Try this sometime when you are practicing...Put a step level or below the platform, and simulate being out around the tree on that step for an extended period of time (as if you are hiding behind the tree to avoid detection), and then try to slowly go back onto the platform. Note that you will feel more awkward with less control of your speed than you will be with the step higher than the platform.
100% spot on in my opinion from my experiences...alleghaney Tom knows his stuff...hes also speaking from experience...no doubt

I’ve been using a single wild edge step on my strong side just above platform height this season. It has made a significant difference in comfort and mobility in the tree. I will give the step on the platform strap a try before next season. WE steps are too frustrating to me.

I’ve been using a single wild edge step on my strong side just above platform height this season. It has made a significant difference in comfort and mobility in the tree. I will give the step on the platform strap a try before next season. WE steps are too frustrating to me.
I tried it with the platform strap...it pushed it down and loosened up the platform...that was my experience...if you find that it works for you please let me know how you did it so I can know how I may have done it wrong...I have been using the ocb and install the step and ocb AFTER I install the platform...put the ocb right ove the post and under the button...the platform is solid as a rock(of course with 2 straps lol) and the steps dont move at all

I tried it with the platform strap...it pushed it down and loosened up the platform...that was my experience...if you find that it works for you please let me know how you did it so I can know how I may have done it wrong...I have been using the ocb and install the step and ocb AFTER I install the platform...put the ocb right ove the post and under the button...the platform is solid as a rock(of course with 2 straps lol) and the steps dont move at all
Are you keeping any of your weight distributed on the platform when you utilize the step?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dont have to now with the ocb on the steps...but yes I was trying to when using the same strap on both

Predator XL with a Squirrel on each side on the strap. Key with that is making sure all slack what so ever is out of the strap before cam over.

On my one stick setup I have a straight scout on a stick with 3 squirrel steps on an OCB.

Anyone tried a single cranford rope step or silent approach step as an alternative to thread a step on the platform strap? I’m looking into switching to an amsteel daisy chain for my platform strap.

Anyone tried a single cranford rope step or silent approach step as an alternative to thread a step on the platform strap? I’m looking into switching to an amsteel daisy chain for my platform strap.
I used an amsteel daisy chain and also a 1/4" piece of amsteel on the squirrel steps...here is what i experienced...if you just have the amsteel through the slot it doesnt really keep the step very stable...probably the strap does because iy is so much wider than the amsteel(obviously right?)...but if you put the amsteel through the slot for the first go around the tree and then through the holes on the second go round the tree it holds rock solid...i did a dyi rubberize the end of amsteel to stiffen up about 4 inches so i coupd thread it through the holes easier...works like a charm ...the thing i didnt like was it took me more time than just putting the platform on the tree then the steps with ocb around the tree and just under the button...this really keeps the platform solid and the steps solid and its faster...also when you use the same amsteel for the platform and the steps it does make the steps a bit too high for my liking...others may love it...I didnt hate it..jimmi

I used an amsteel daisy chain and also a 1/4" piece of amsteel on the squirrel steps...here is what i experienced...if you just have the amsteel through the slot it doesnt really keep the step very stable...probably the strap does because iy is so much wider than the amsteel(obviously right?)...but if you put the amsteel through the slot for the first go around the tree and then through the holes on the second go round the tree it holds rock solid...i did a dyi rubberize the end of amsteel to stiffen up about 4 inches so i coupd thread it through the holes easier...works like a charm ...the thing i didnt like was it took me more time than just putting the platform on the tree then the steps with ocb around the tree and just under the button...this really keeps the platform solid and the steps solid and its faster...also when you use the same amsteel for the platform and the steps it does make the steps a bit too high for my liking...others may love it...I didnt hate it..jimmi

To clarify, I am only looking to use the amsteel as my platform strap. The step would be on its one strap. I would be replacing the WE step that I am currently using with the cranford or SA step. The downside that I see to either of those is that they don’t seem as solid as the WE step. On the upside, they seem easier to install and easier to pack. Also, being plastic, the SA step would be quieter.

Back