• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Headlamp

Weldabeast

SH Member
So ever hunt and every season I try to fix anything that is problematic with the hunt system/gear and this year I've been plagued with the dang headlamp turning on while it is stored. I carry extra batteries so it's not the end of the world but it bothers me....minus taking the batteries out while it's not in use is there a simple fix here or do they sell a headlamp that can't accidently turn on?

Black diamond headlamps have a lockout feature. I think you have to like press the button for 10 seconds and it locks where it can’t come on without holding the button another 10 seconds. Works well

This!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black diamond headlamps have a lockout feature. I think you have to like press the button for 10 seconds and it locks where it can’t come on without holding the button another 10 seconds. Works well

Thanks for that info. Have multiple versions of their headlamp and love everything about them but did have them turn on occasionally in bag and drain batteries. I especially love the feature where you can turn the light very dim but if something happens and you need brightlight it's just a finger swipe away on and off to full lumens.

I’m not a fan of the black diamond headlamp but they do have the locking feature you’re looking for. I’m on my 3rd bd headlamp this season, finally got one that seems to be working properly.

This is what I have used for years for hiking and hunting. Simply push both buttons to lock out and then turn on. Several white and red modes, super lightweight, rechargeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been using a black diamond icon forever. I never knew about the lockout feature lol. But I do use rechargable batteries and always have an extra set charged and ready uncase I need them.

I own multiple cheaper headlamps and always had the same problem as you and/or just poor battery performance. I bought a Fenix HMR50 this year and really like it. Has a lockout feature and came with two rechargeable batteries. Also has a battery indicator so you know when to charge.

I use Zebralight, and just give a quick twist to the battery cover. Excellent lights, and works like a charm for keeping them from coming on. My only Zebralight complaint is they don't sell dual-beam lights. Have a fenix showing up today with White Spot/Flood and Red Flood.

I use Zebralight, and just give a quick twist to the battery cover. Excellent lights, and works like a charm for keeping them from coming on. My only Zebralight complaint is they don't sell dual-beam lights. Have a fenix showing up today with White Spot/Flood and Red Flood.

This, the 18650 headlamps are great. I used BD and Petzl headlamps for years, they work fine, but getting away from AAA's to something I can just pop in the charger every night is so nice.

I will jump on the 18650 bandwagon, only way to go. Cost me a little up front for the lights, batteries, and charging system but well worth it in the end.

Ive had this problem with my bushnell headlamp all season. love it but damn if doesnt turn on in my backpack at least half the hunts. I never had that problem with the home depot energizer lights but they are not rechargeable and not nearly as bright

So ever hunt and every season I try to fix anything that is problematic with the hunt system/gear and this year I've been plagued with the dang headlamp turning on while it is stored. I carry extra batteries so it's not the end of the world but it bothers me....minus taking the batteries out while it's not in use is there a simple fix here or do they sell a headlamp that can't accidently turn on?

Some have a lock feature, but those same headlamps are often overly complex programmable ones that you have to remember stuff like: hit right hand button 3 times to do XYZ (not my taste).

I love Fenix lights for bang for the buck.

If you get one of the ones here

that use an 18650 rechargeable lithium ion battery in a "tube with a twist cap" configuration, then this is what you do.

While the light is on, untwist the battery cap until the light turns off, then give it a slight bit more of a turn to prevent bumping it back to where it connects.

This move removes battery connection but also turns the light off. So, when you twist it back tight, the light is off and you have to work the buttons to get it on again (double protection).

EDIT: this one has a lock out feature in addition

it is bulky, but this is an updated version of my main light....it is as bright as most handhelds and the top head strap and separate, back-located battery compartment makes it balance well on the head, also has separate flood and spot lights....flood on lowest setting is good for setting up and working up close and doesn't project through the woods nearly as much as a flood...i like having 2 separate bulbs

you can probably do the twist thing with any headlamp with a twist cap and not usual flimsy snap closed compartment

Last edited:
I like having a micro fiber rag or two in my pack. I wrapped my headlamp with one and it hasn’t come back on accidentally………or maybe I just don’t know it, lol
I have a $20 coast lamp that’s perfect. It’s small, has different modes but best it has a bright red light for walking in and the main beam will light up the night. I too keep an extra set of batteries beside it JIC. LOVE THE IDEA OF THE PILL BOTTLE PROTECTOR!

anyone know of a headlamp that runs on 18650s that has a red light that higher lumen, most red light headlamps are on only like 5 or 10 lumen

Back