• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Weak side shots

The problem with the whole debate on weak side shooting is that it all depends on the tree your in. Oftentimes I can’t move around the tree because It’s physically impossible due to limbs being in the way, or maybe the tree forks and the other trunk is in the way. So I turn around on my platform. On the other hand if I’m in a nice telephone pole type tree I will move around the tree for a shot if the scenario is right. I use a ros and a platform together to cover all possibilities.

It depends upon the size of your platform compared to the size of you and your dexterity. Try several methods when practicing to include the ones mentioned, which I think are:

1. going further around the strong side so you walk around the tree to get 1 o clock
2. sticking your knee in the tree and rotating counterclockwise (if you're a rightie) as hard as you can (just an extenuation of how you'd shoot 6 o'clock)
3. standing and turning on the platform both with your tether across your chest and not.

The difficult zone for me is 2 to 4 o'clock (inclusive). 1 o'clock I do #1 above. Up to 4 o'clock I do #2 above.

Treestands have a dead zone also, behind the tree. I think the dead zone being in a different spot and where we can see it more easily messes with us. The best thing is to setup so that the chance that you'll have to shoot into the dead zone is pretty low.

All this is why I'm waiting for lightweight, large platform options.

Last edited:
The problem with the whole debate on weak side shooting is that it all depends on the tree your in. Oftentimes I can’t move around the tree because It’s physically impossible due to limbs being in the way, or maybe the tree forks and the other trunk is in the way. So I turn around on my platform. On the other hand if I’m in a nice telephone pole type tree I will move around the tree for a shot if the scenario is right. I use a ros and a platform together to cover all possibilities
The other problem, is what degree if weak side are we talking about? I've probably killed 80% of my deer in a saddle from the weak side with gun, crossbow and finally this year a compound.

As long as the deer isn't behind,or heading that way , my shoulder line from sitting/standing position. Im confident with any of those weapons shooting "weak side" without having to flip. It may be a bit awkward sometimes but it's not worth it to me the extra movement to flip unless the deer are completely oblivious.

Two years ago I killed a buck at 2 o'clock weak side by crossing over my bridge. Even though it's uncomfortable when it happened I didn't even think about it.

This year I grunted in a buck that started in on my weak side. I crossed over my bridge with my bow and got ready. The buck then circled around to my left. I had to cross back over my bridge, step out onto my top step with my left foot. I shot the buck at about 11 o'clock strong side..... basically 180 degrees from my platform. When it all happens you don't really think about it. You just react. Sometimes everything just works....and sometimes it doesn't.

Here is a video recap of my 2023 Southeast Iowa buck. There is a little wind noise at the start of the video but it clears up in a few seconds.

8f42a5cb13f977cf3970f0a065871002.jpg
a502ce2f70dd2186be350b15a6a04a50.jpg
e96589bb555c1e638effd62a6373cdc8.jpg
76ebd20b6b4aa579b03b34f200ed8e53.jpg

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

Yep. I am 70 and it's a chore to handle one of these tanks by yourself.

Here is the game cam picture about an hour before I killed this buck. The second picture is him reacting to my grunt call. The last picture is him hanging in my shop.
0d27fc91ff5497ca1d545f7b00c4ef65.jpg
1a82c134528208ff9370957f7c928667.jpg
b586dabb4a0e6ddc0f48c72a2bdf5b0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk
This is some OG shizniz if I ever saw it. I like your style sir.

I killed a buck at 2 o'clock weak side by crossing over my bridge. Even though it's uncomfortable when it happened I didn't even think about it.

When it all happens you don't really think about it. You just react. Sometimes everything just works....and sometimes it doesn't.

What he said.

I’ve killed a pile with weak side shots in hangons, climber, soft saddle, guidos web, hybrid, sitting in a chair on the ground.

You just do things. Adrenaline has a way of filtering out noise.

Simple Things you can do to greatly improve your odds of pulling off weak side shots when they arise:

Don’t worry about it.

If shooting a bow, reduce draw weight to something you can pull sitting down in a chair, drawing on your weak side of your body.

Stretch and improve flexibility and dexterity.

If obese, lose weight.

Spend a couple hours on a tree in your yard one time playing with footwork and angles and see what works and doesn’t.

Don’t worry about it.

If I see something coming towards weak side I'll let out enough slack in my tether to where it feels like I'm sitting in a chair. Rotate 90 degrees left and the weakside shot becomes more of a 4-6 o clock shot. There's a little bit less movement I feel than standing up and turning around but it's also more difficult to hold the position for extended periods because you are a bit twisted.

What he said.

I’ve killed a pile with weak side shots in hangons, climber, soft saddle, guidos web, hybrid, sitting in a chair on the ground.

You just do things. Adrenaline has a way of filtering out noise.

Simple Things you can do to greatly improve your odds of pulling off weak side shots when they arise:

Don’t worry about it.

If shooting a bow, reduce draw weight to something you can pull sitting down in a chair, drawing on your weak side of your body.

Stretch and improve flexibility and dexterity.

If obese, lose weight.

Spend a couple hours on a tree in your yard one time playing with footwork and angles and see what works and doesn’t.

Don’t worry about it.
What do you do if you're just old??? :tearsofjoy:

If you're right handed: Lift bow up, rotate right (towards the deer). Adjust your feet to your normal stance. Aim, steady, fire.

Killed 2 deer this season on the weak side, pulling 82#. Your body does amazing things with adrenaline.

Does any body play the wind any more ..and set up for it?the whole shoot 360% would just seem like guess work then

Back