• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Weak side shots

NYBowhunter631

SH Member
What’s the preferred method of performing this shot? I’ve only shot deer strong side but it gives me anxiety not being comfortable with it. I see Levi Morgan turning all the way around facing away from the tree to do it. Does the tether have to go over the shoulder for tension and safety ? Thanks

What’s the preferred method of performing this shot? I’ve only shot deer strong side but it gives me anxiety not being comfortable with it. I see Levi Morgan turning all the way around facing away from the tree to do it. Does the tether have to go over the shoulder for tension and safety ? Thanks
I’ve taken 2 weak side shots missed both. Took one with a gun though on a yote and that went well lol so I’m here for the info to follow

Some people have switched to the Hybrid method because of this, myself included. I use the LWCG .5. Maybe this doesn’t help you at all but I always like to mention if. I loved the saddle platform but had the same anxiety over weak side shots. I don’t have platform rn so maybe I need to thread to refresh me on why I need one.

Any shot from 1 to 6 o'clock for a right hand shooter is tuff. Too much movement unless you have a large platform or are like John Eberhart and hunt 30 feet high.
This is why some saddle hunters have gone to a treestand hybrid setup.

I one stick climb and hunt off of an EDP platform. I generally try to set up the EDP on the tree so that the wind is blowing to my 4 o'clock (right handed shot). I figure that I shouldn't have deer approach from dead down wind anyway.

Then when I climb I leave the stick at my 11:00 position on the tree as I intend on facing it (almost directly opposite the EDP but slightly to my left). This gives me the ability to step to my left similar to a ring of steps on the tree. If something does approach from my weak side I can take a single step over to the top of the stick and that moves me almost 180 degrees around the tree. Suddenly my weak side is now my strong side. The added benefit is that I'm also back behind the tree trunk with respect to the deer's approach. My draw arm is hidden behind the tree for the draw cycle.

For me this is an advantage of one sticking that I can have a step available on the opposite side of the tree. Before anyone poses ring of steps to me, I've tried to like them but I'm just more comfortable spending the majority of the hunt on a platform.

The turn and spin is the preferred method for me because it’s familiar from my hang on days, though I’ve gone over the bridge on several deer as well. When I stand and turn I usually go under the armpit but over the shoulder is probably “safer” because it feels like a harness. Couple of factors to consider such as platform depth, which direction the deer is coming from, as to whether to spin or go over the tether. The 4 deer I’ve shot out of the saddle this year have been at 2 o’clock, 6 o’clock, 9 o’clock, and 6 o’clock again.

Totally get the attraction to using a .5 as a hybrid, something I’ve considered myself. Just don’t love the side pressure kickout issues when moving around the tree strong side. But it completely eliminates any weak side issues.

I’ve shot several deer on the weak side both with a ring of steps and a platform. The ROS was usually a little trickier just because my bag is usually hanging on the right side of the tree. In those cases, I would step to the right and shoot the weak side shot basically like a drop shot.

All of the deer I have shot weak side on a platform I have pivoted around and had the tether over my shoulder. Shooting a recurve I have to have my shoulders and feet in alignment or my shot falls apart so moving the bow over the tether and shooting all twisted up isn’t an option for me. Pivoting on a platform doesn’t take any more movement than turning around on a tree stand.

I one stick climb and hunt off of an EDP platform. I generally try to set up the EDP on the tree so that the wind is blowing to my 4 o'clock (right handed shot). I figure that I shouldn't have deer approach from dead down wind anyway.

Then when I climb I leave the stick at my 11:00 position on the tree as I intend on facing it (almost directly opposite the EDP but slightly to my left). This gives me the ability to step to my left similar to a ring of steps on the tree. If something does approach from my weak side I can take a single step over to the top of the stick and that moves me almost 180 degrees around the tree. Suddenly my weak side is now my strong side. The added benefit is that I'm also back behind the tree trunk with respect to the deer's approach. My draw arm is hidden behind the tree for the draw cycle.

For me this is an advantage of one sticking that I can have a step available on the opposite side of the tree. Before anyone poses ring of steps to me, I've tried to like them but I'm just more comfortable spending the majority of the hunt on a platform.
That's great unless the deer sees your feet move. Or you have more then one deer under your tree.

That's great unless the deer sees your feet move. Or you have more then one deer under your tree.
Granted, but I'll make the argument that the movement is no more than a 180 turn on a tree stand or platform and is actually a bit less visible since a lot of it is on the back side of the tree from the deer. As with anything, you have to be smart about your move and know when and when not to make it.

Granted, but I'll make the argument that the movement is no more than a 180 turn on a tree stand or platform and is actually a bit less visible since a lot of it is on the back side of the tree from the deer. As with anything, you have to be smart about your move and know when and when not to make it.
Not to start a issue with a Mod.
But on a big platform, I can see the deer at all times. Swing around the tree my vision is blocked.
The big difference, are we talking about deer, or mature bucks.

But on a big platform, I can see the deer at all times. Swing around the tree my vision is blocked.

I don’t understand why people think you have to “swing” around the tree. Not to speak for boyne but I know he has killed several mature bucks. I can also attest that I have slowly and under control stepped to my right side and turned a weak side into a drop shot or strong side shot with both immature and mature deer in range. There is a split second where I lose site of the deer, that’s why I carefully choose when to do it.

There is no hunting method that allows you to shoot both sides of the tree without turning around and it’s a similar amount of movement regardless of the method.

Last edited:
There’s a couple ways to do it, as others have said it depends on your method of purchase on the tree. If you have a large platform like a RR you can turn completely around with your back to the tree and snug your tether so if you slip it ain’t far, or use your linemans belt.
RoS just work your way around the tree so when you rotate it isn’t that far.
I one stick with an EWO so here’s how I do it. Facing the tree I work my way to the 3 o’clock or thereabouts of the tree with my left foot on the side of my platform and my right left hooked around the tree for stablility/or in a slight seated position so my thighs are hugging the tree. Slight seated position is a bit difficult since I use xbow but if I’m standing it’s more manageable as long as I account for and manage weapon cant especially if I’m using a rifle.

No issues, we all have our methods. Mine just happen to differ from yours. I think we can have a discussion without creating an issue. Not a big deal to me. ;)

As @GCTerpfan says, there's no "swing" around the tree. Its a simple step to my left. One foot . . . then the other if necessary (it's not always). I can watch the deer whole time, I don't even have to turn my head. Movement is minimal and I'm watching the deer and not making the move until I'm confident I can. Its possible, I've done it many many times on deer of all ages. I've also hunted out of tree stands for most of my adult life (and I'm old too :tearsofjoy:) so I'm fully aware how it compares with rotating on a fixed platform. I still maintain that I make no more disturbance than the rotation with my step to the left.

My preference is to turn around on the platform with the tether over my shoulder. I've mentioned it before, most trees I hunt I don't have the option to swing 360 degrees around the tree. Thanksgiving afternoon was a really short hunt, only about 90 minutes from setup to dark, so I actually stood with my back to the tree the whole time, as 85 percent of the shooting lanes I had were weak side. Couldn't set up on the other side of the tree because of a 4" limb coming off the trunk. Turned out to be a great hunt - two shooter bucks inside 25 yards for the last 45 minutes of light, but one limb from another tree blocked the shot the whole time, so I paddled home empty again.

Hunting with the rifle or ML, there is no weak side shot. Just shoot from the other shoulder!

I hunt with a one stick platform and a ring of steps most of the time, I also use my xwing with 3 steps! With both setups I can shoot 360 with some precise movement, like others have stated I just simply step around the tree to the left, keeping the tree between me and the incoming deer! Obviously if deer see you move then you are busted, I just make my moves while their heads are turned or down eating. Never had a problem getting busted moving around the tree, but I have been busted many many times in a regular tree stand! As a rule though I do hunt 25’ and above, which also helps with movement, to me the biggest advantage of saddle hunting is being able to walk around the tree while keeping structure between you and the deer!

You don't mention if your using a ROS or Platform. For me, I use the a large platform and spin. My tether is low. It is essentially the same as a strong side shot on a treestand. My buck this year was killed on the "weak" side. Easy peasy. I imagine ROS would change everything but that's why I prefer a platform.

I use a seeker mini with a ROS step on each side and can get most of the way around the tree. But a longer tether/bridge is necessary to do this or you’ll get wrapped to or against the tree, if that makes sense. I practice turning around on the platform with the tether going over my shoulder for the weak side shot, but haven’t shot my first deer that way. I like to hold my bow normal in my left hand, then turn while passing my right arm under tether. My platform and step setup lets my feet get me around dang near all of the tree.
10F05FEF-96E9-4CBE-B95A-BE4B70480DD2.jpeg And yes, there is a step on the other side.

Last edited:
No comment on “actual” safety but if possible, I choose a tree that’s as wide as my hips or skinnier, and try my best to perform the offside shot from the strong side. What I mean is, I’m right handed so if a deer comes in at my 1:00-2:30 wedge, I’ll side-pressure my platform and lean around the 11:00-12:00 position towards 1:00 to make the shot around the backside of the tree. For 2:30-5:00 wedge, I’ll swing the other way from 11:00 towards 5:00 but keep my drawing arm above my bridge.
The weak side shot is IMO a strong argument for a ring of steps vs a platform. I have a Mission platform which has a lot of deck space and handles true side pressure like a pro, but on larger trees there’s no question a ROS is a more versatile option.

.5 here also, I strongly feel it's the best possible setup. I hunted out of a saddle platform in 2018-19. I had a decent buck get out on me in 2019 when I couldn't get shifted around, kind of a goofy tree and quick shot scenario.

I very rarely hunt in treestand mode, 95% saddle mode. Gives you the ability to go all the way around the backside, or just stand up and shoot from the platform.

Back