• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 3 Thread

Tall grass can be very tough on finding blood. The buck my son shot left no blood trail, for 27 yds in grass. I could see the deer laying dead from the stand, but I still like to look for a trail for possible future reference. He did shoot him with a 350 legend, and they are as notorious as ML’s for not leaving blood trails.

I’ve never shot a ML, but I remember seeing somewhere that a certain common hunting projectile is common for not putting deer down or leaving blood trails. You may want to read some reviews on the projectile you are shooting just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish this was the case, this was ankle high growth. As for slugs I was shooting hornady xtp’s I’ve had alot of success with these for the past 10 years or so. I’m venting more than anything MLs are notorious for little to no blood at the site then a few drops before they open up. I usually find most of my ML deer from direction of travel & woodsmanship. Rarely b/c of massive blood trail. I started dabbling in big copper bullets out of my elk setup maybe time to translate those to deer???

I wish this was the case, this was ankle high growth. As for slugs I was shooting hornady xtp’s I’ve had alot of success with these for the past 10 years or so. I’m venting more than anything MLs are notorious for little to no blood at the site then a few drops before they open up. I usually find most of my ML deer from direction of travel & woodsmanship. Rarely b/c of massive blood trail. I started dabbling in big copper bullets out of my elk setup maybe time to translate those to deer???
I've been shooting 100 grns of powder (2 pyrodex pellets) out of mine since I got it. Next year and beyond I'm moving it up to 150.

The grass I was looking in was in the middle of a food plot, ankle high brassicas mostly. There was no blood coming out of the entrance or the exit hole to speak of maybe 10 ml on both sides. I haven’t shot a deer with a rifle since my late teens, with the exception of mule deer. I don’t remember ever having to blood trail a deer I shot with a rifle. It just blew my mind how little blood came out of him. I’m used to seeing big blood trails from mechanical broad heads I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out yesterday afternoon for my first January 24 sit. Was set up on the edge of a marsh looking east towards a river bottom expecting them to come out of the bottom towards me headed to crops to my west. Had a small buck read the script at 4:30. He hit 60 yards out and hit the breaks. My comfortable range is 30 and in. I had a just barely off-wind setup up to that point. But as luck usually has it with bow hunting, it just happened to switch for a minute when he hit that spot. After a 5 minute standstill trying to locate the foreign odor, he trotted off to the Southeast. Had he just walked around the left side of that red brush clump instead of the right side of the clump, the story might have ended differently.

Sure was fun getting back up in a tree.

I've been shooting 100 grns of powder (2 pyrodex pellets) out of mine since I got it. Next year and beyond I'm moving it up to 150.
I’m a little old school with my ML loads but it’s worked great over the years and shoots well out of both of my .50 cal ML’s the same.
Once I found a load and combo I liked I bought extra and so I just continue to use my old inventory. The only update I made was approximately 10-12 years or so ago which was switching from Hodgson Triple 7 pellets to IMR’s White Hots. My long time load is two 50 gr. white hot pellets pushing a .45 cal. 240gr. Hornady XTP Handgun bullet wrapped in a green Hornady Sabot to fit in the .50 cal bore. This is a hollow point round that groiosnwell and hits hard. One thing I always do is aim for the shoulder anymore. Puts them down quick.

Didn’t have any opportunity to hunt in late December. Made it out Jan 2nd, didn’t see anything. With finally getting snow I walked 3 miles Saturday in one spot, no tracks except rabbit and coyote. Moved several miles away to another stretch that that had been logged earlier in the winter, put on a couple more miles. Found a bunch of free tracks, set up for a couple hours without seeing anything. Sunday morning, last day of season, went out to the same spot, different wind. Bunch of free tracks but the two groups of does/fawns moved on the tree line 200 yards away. I did shift over there until I froze out.

No deer with a bow this year, though did take a shot and saw several bucks on the hoof this year.

I’m not giving up on the goal of a public land deer with a trad bow and wood arrows. Every year I learn so much. Next year I’ll get it right.

We have a late 3 day gun season I’ve been looking forward to. I’ve had a fever & been sick since Tuesday, starting to turn the corner but thought better of sitting in 35 degrees & blowing rain. I’m gonna give it a run tomorrow & see……
Was still feeling pretty rough Saturday, but got out yesterday afternoon ( saw 13 does 200 yds away on property I don’t have access too) not skunked. That’s it for gun. Will be hard at it with a bow rest of the month. Still can’t believe no doe from the saddle this year, couple off the ground…… I passed a lot earlier in the season.

I went for a post season scouting walk this morning before the snow we're supposed to get over the next week made it difficult walking. There's a bunch of criss crossing trails back in the cedars where I'm assuming they're spending their days bedded but I covered 3 miles back in there and never crossed a track without snow in it (it started snowing about 8am) so I don't think I even disturbed them. I hunted both sides of the swamp this late season and saw deer in both areas so today I though I'd walk through the middle of it, at least where I wasn't wading too deep. Bottom line is I'm still not sure where exactly they bed back there. There must be a high spot I haven't found yet.

I just got over being sick for almost a week. Missed my last weekend to hunt completely! I'm hoping to get out to post season scout Saturday morning. Thinking about hanging a camera on some public for the heck of it? Suppose to get stupid cold here soon. It was really fun season with you guys, thanks!

I just got over being sick for almost a week. Missed my last weekend to hunt completely! I'm hoping to get out to post season scout Saturday morning. Thinking about hanging a camera on some public for the heck of it? Suppose to get stupid cold here soon. It was really fun season with you guys, thanks!
Back at ya, this was hands down my favorite team so far & we didn’t even win!

Back at ya, this was hands down my favorite team so far & we didn’t even win!
I've been down with a pretty bad cold for about the last week as well. Finally decided this morning to see if some fresh air would help . . . turns out it was bad idea, at least at this point (cough, cough, sniffle sniffle):tearsofjoy:. It's all good though, it'll pass.

I also really enjoyed this season, both from a hunting standpoint and from a team interaction standpoint. It was a pleasure sharing the season with you guys, I just wish I could have contributed to the points total. I must say though, I've hit the point in my whitetail hunting journey that a successful season has less to do with the actual harvest and more to do with the encounters throughout the season.

I've finally had the opportunity to go back through my season log (I should probably be posting this in the "Shame" thread:tearsofjoy:) and I logged 272 hrs in the tree this year spread over 81 sits. It would have been more but I missed a bit over a week in December with kidney stones.

During that time I saw 131 deer from the saddle (33 bucks, 52 does, 33 yearlings and 13 unknown), I passed on 5 legal bucks that just weren't what I was looking for and countless does that were in range. I had four clean misses, twice on one deer with the bow and twice on one deer with the muzzleloader. I had one buck stopped inside 10 yds that I was unable to get a draw on due to some ongoing old age shoulder issues and, unfortunately I hit one I didn't recover with the bow. Ironically all of my shots (and attempted shot) with the bow happened in a 4 day period in November and in the same general area so I had that dialed in at that time.

This season really was a tale of two seasons for me. Early season I hunted only remote. Even though I came home during the week in October I never hunted locally pre-rifle season. From my observations as well as the buddies I hunt remote with, the deer herd numbers were definitely down in the area I hunt remote as well as were decent buck sightings. But, even with a two week "skunked spell" in the middle of October I still ended up with decent sighting numbers. In fact, I was having more/better encounters than my hunting buddies down there so I have to call that a win even if I couldn't close the deal.

Second season (post rifle season) I had one of the best deer sighting years I can remember for that time of year. I saw almost half of my yearly deer totals during a time when the deer are generally very nocturnal and hard to come by. This included multiple daylight sightings of a decent 8 point that I had missed with the muzzleloader. I experienced almost zero hunting pressure during December here locally. In fact there was only one day that I even crossed another hunter's tracks and that was during late November. Additionally, there was a downed tree across a logging road that needed to be bypassed on the access to the area I was late season bow hunting and it appeared to me that no one had gone around it all season. I had to break the trail around it to get in with the bow. Lack of local pressure may have been the reason I had such a positive late season.

My takeaways from this season . . . first and foremost I was extremely pleased/surprised with my ability to keep a positive attitude even though my season didn't go as I exactly planned. Not that many years ago I would been in an angry funk over the season's progression. This year I managed to take it all in stride and can honestly say I never once got down on myself. I truly enjoyed the experiences and accepted what came my way. Second take away. . . I need to do more offseason work on rehabbing and strengthening my shoulder. Although I knew there was a possibility going in that I would have an encounter where I wouldn't be able to draw my bow, I really don't want to experience that again. Third, I need to spend more time hunting locally during the early season when I'm here. I don't really have a reason why I didn't this year, I had done a lot of summer scouting but I just never put it to use in the early season. Given the apparent lack of pressure and possibly better herd numbers I think is an area where I probably left encounters and chances on the table this year.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my 2023 season regardless of my tag soup. Hope you guys enjoyed your seasons as much.

After having no snow in Wisconsinin December and the warmest month on record, winter came with a fury last week. 4” early in the week followed by 16” on Friday. Put in 4 hours of clearing snow from the driveway and sidewalk between Friday night and Saturday morning. Negative temps today and single digits until next weekend….

As a reward for the hard work (not that any of us need an excuse to go hunting), I got out for a hunt yesterday afternoon. Had done some road scouting after the 4” fell and as expected, found fresh tracks going into some pines (great thermal cover) where I had late season success last year. Thought I had a perfect storm with the heavy snow and temps headed south but nothing came through. Man the woods is a beautiful sight after a fresh snow.

I should be able to take a couple more swings at it before season wraps at the end of the month. I bought my first target bow (Bowtech Reckoning Gen 2 36”). I’ll be itching to transition to spot shooting as soon as the scope arrives for my rest this week.

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 9
Well fellas, I must apologize for no providing any points this year. My hunting time amounted to only 4 days in state and 4 days in KY. I won't be picking up a firearm unless it's a spur of the moment weekend trip in Feb but that will be after the contest is over.....Fla has gun seasons going to the end of Feb in the panhandle and Lakeland areas. My wife unexpectedly had to leave her job in early December so we've gone into hyper savings until she gets back in the work force. It's been killing me though as all my buddies have been having great hunts and great conditions on our public, but that's life sometimes throwing curve balls and you just have to adjust as needed. I have truly enjoyed reading along and following yall through the fall! Continued good luck to all of you!

Back