• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 3 Thread

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
@JASmith, @jtw0057, @deertrout, @Apex7, @Pyronole, @Bigterp, @shmelton, @ofor, @OspreyZB, @TheBlindCat, @DroptineKrazy, @ericabbott

Hey guys, Welcome to Team 3! I’m looking forward sharing virtual deer camp with you guys this year. I see a few names here I’ve been on teams with previously and one guy I’ve actually met in person. If you don’t know a little about me by now, I’m from the “Tip of the Mitt” or in other words, the northern end of Michigan’s lower peninsula. I’ve been hunting whitetails really close to 50 years now and this is my 8th season hunting out of a saddle (7 seasons exclusively).

I’ve been blessed with a career and family that has afforded me the free time to hunt on average about 80 sits per year for the last ten years or so and, since I retired this year, I intend to do my best to up that number a bit this year.

I do feel like I should throw the warning out that I’m pretty selective on what I loose an arrow at, I get two buck tags a year and in a perfect world I’d use the last one on the last day of the season. So I’m not going to guarantee any points but I’ll certainly do my best. In all the years I’ve competed in this contest I think I’ve only been shut out twice, My first and last year. Hopefully things fall into line this year. I do need some venison in the freezer so maybe I’ll lower my expectations a bit this year. Unfortunately I can’t seem to make that call until the moment of truth rolls around.

My bow season here in Michigan starts Oct. 1st and runs through Jan. 1st with a 15 day break in the last half of November for rifle season (which I also participate in). I’ve got a bit before I can get started but I can’t put any excuses on season limitation.

I wish you all the best of luck this season. Let’s stay safe and put some deer on the ground (points on the board) this year! GO TEAM 3!

Checking in from central Georgia. Season started last weekend and I’ve been skunked on the 2 days I’ve been out now. The acorns are raining down out here now after a cool snap so hoping the action picks up.

I’ll be hunting public land in GA and my family has 200 acres in south Alabama that we hunt as well. Got until the middle of February down there and the rut usually picks up hot and heavy at the end of January.

I’ll be shooting just about anything that comes in range so hopefully I have plenty of opportunities. Looking forward to another season and good times sitting out in the woods.

NE Minnesota checking in, but I’ll be bow hunting NW Wisconsin public since I can only shoot one deer in the zone my family hunts in Minnesota for rifle. This will be my third year bow hunting after 20 years of rifle hunting, still trying to get a deer with a trad bow. I have multiple doe tags and a buck tag for Wisconsin.

As long as it doesn’t have spots or is a doe with a fawn, I’ll launch an arrow if I get a chance.

I’m from West GA. This is my 1st yr on the team, but I been shooting Whitetails with a bow only for over 20 yrs. I have some good private ground local I hunt. I also have some family land in East AL I hunt, and I’m traveling to KS this yr. I love bow hunting, and Inshore fishing. I spend the 1st of Oct chasing Reds. When I get back from the Gulf, I will hunt most every day I can. I’m looking forward to sharing this yr’s experiences with y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coastal Maine checking in here. Season has been open for a week but my first sit was last night without any action. Only sat behind my place for about 45 minutes because I had to wait for hurricane Lee to pass by. Only 40 to 50 mile winds as usual for us but they died down to 20 so I went out and sat. Didn't expect to see much anyway as my cameras have gone dead since the acorns started dropping. The acorns are hit and miss here this year and I haven't found a hot tree where I can hunt yet. It's early yet as I have until the middle of December to fill my 2 buck tags and I can shoot a doe anytime as I have multiple antlerless tags. Still have meat in the freezer though so might hold out late if I decide to shoot a doe. Oh, almost forgot, I have 3 pretty nice bucks on camera so far so I expect to get a wack at least one of them before the seasons over.

Also. I'm happy to be on the same team as the official score keeper. That should make it real easy to take 1st place this year :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: Go team 3!!!
For the record I've been doing this for a long a time and have only been on one winning team, but I was on that team along with @Bigterp that year so maybe that's a good omen. :D

The team I was on last year killed enough deer to win (even with me eating tag soup) but there were several disqualified for no saddle in the submission picture so we had to settle for second place by 2 points. That's what prompted the rules reminder email. Remember to either wear your saddle or lay it on the deer in the picture guys! ;)

I decided to drink beer and watch GA Tech lose last night instead of sitting in the tree. I should have been in the tree. The 8 in the 1st and 2nd pic showed up at both of my stands close to dark. I’m not sure if he’s a shooter until I get my eyes on him. The better news is the 10 in the 3rd pic is bachelored with him typically. I have the right wind to hunt him tonight so I’ll be in the tree. He showed up right at dark 3 days ago, and has gotten a little earlier each night. I’m hoping the trend continues.
5523883dd9d6b5581ef9fdc3715509fb.jpg

cbf8ef0adf27a835fa806b4ff62d74d8.jpg

dcce4b2da954ddc48142555996548467.jpg

I live just outside of Pittsburgh PA. I've been saddle hunting since the early 80s. I started with the Anderson sling and the original Trophyline and then the Treesuit saddle. I have a Aerohunter Flex, ESS, Cruzr XC, an Overwatch Transformer and a new Custom Gear Modification Cobra in my favorite camo Predator fall gray. Oh yes I still have the Treesuit and Guido's Web. I just like saddles.
I strictly bow hunt but this year I'm got to also use a Mini vertical crossbow. I have taken many whitetail deer including some Pope-n-Young bucks. I hunt public land in the suburbs mostly now. I first started hunting the big woods of northern PA when I was twelve. I'm a retired Union Pile Driver so I can hunt when I want. I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who doesn't mind me hunting because she enjoys venison as much as I do. I do have a hunting partner and it's my son but I can't talk him into using a saddle. I'll try my best to get us some points. In PA we have one buck tag and numerous antlerless tags and our season started yesterday . Well good luck to everyone shoot straight and be safe.

Last edited:
Jerry here from Northwest Indiana. I think this is my fifth year sale hunting. Archery starts October 1st. I'll start hunting that day and hunt any chance I get. I'm not picky at all on what I put in freezer. This is first year that I'll hunt 90% public and most of that will be archery. Love it! Me and the wife are both 53 and she is actually in her last year of nursing school. She always wanted to be a nurse, so I have more free time to hunt while she studies. This contest is so much fun and look forward to getting to know the team! Be safe and hunt hard!

Hey guys, I'm also from Northern Michigan. I've been saddle hunting 4 seasons and hunting deer for around 25 years. I'm originally from Ohio and typically hunt both MI and OH each year. I usually take 3 deer a season, a doe and Buck in MI and a buck in OH. Last year I skipped OH to go out west to hunt antelope in WY, and while I fell in love with the west. I can't wait to get back to OH this fall.

I started using a crossbow last year after battling multiple shoulder injuries the last few seasons. I hunt during gun season, too, but try to be tagged out before it starts. I switched to one sticking this off-season and am looking forward to dialing my system in this fall.

What's up team 3? I live in NJ, and also try to hunt at least 1 or 2 other states every year. This will be my 6th year in the saddle and 4th year in the contest, I think. Looking forward to following along with everyone's seasons. I've been hunting with my longbow and have had some close calls, but haven't had a good shot opportunity at the right deer yet. We have to take a doe before we can take a buck here in NJ during the early archery season. I've had 4 different bucks (2 button bucks, and 2 antlered bucks) offer me good shot opportunities, but can't seem to get a doe inside 20 yards. Thinking about taking the compound tonight.

20a48d76c38d699ecc3c54d4172a2d56.jpg

Did some scouting after work and found this guy loaded down. Lots of acorns dropping too but not much browse sign yet on them. Got too many spots to decide on for this Fridays sit.

Evening fellas! I am from South Florida but mainly hunt public in the Fla panhandle. My season will start the 3rd saturday in October up there, but I hope to get a sit or two on some closer public if I can pick up a quota. I also have a Western Kentucky archery rut hunt planned in November. I've hunted out of a saddle for 3 season so far so hopefully I'll be good for some points from down south!

I am a land manager for a public agency (that doesn't permit hunting on their land :( ) and one of my favorite things to do is run prescribed burns. That, plus a lifetime fan and dad of a recent grad from Florida State gives me "pyronole"!

Hey fellas. My name is Chuck and I’m from SE Wisconsin. This is my 5th season hunting from a saddle on public land. I hosted the Wisconsin saddle meetup for 3 years before taking this year off due to low interest.

My season opened last weekend and runs until the end of January. My most exciting sits last year were the last 3 days of the season in some chilly temps so I have plenty of sits ahead of me again this year. Felt good to have a therapy session with the deer woods again last weekend - love everything about it. I am mostly a weekend warrior since I still have a few years before I can hang up the retirement shingle. I have 4 doe tags and 2 buck tags that I could fill but I’ll probably end up only using 2 as that will fill up my freezer. I’m not too picky in the moment of truth regardless if it’s a buck or doe.

I got out twice opening weekend and saw 2 doe opening morning and a small buck Sunday afternoon. Nothing came in close enough for a shot but still got the adrenaline pumping.

I’m headed to TN this weekend to help my daughter get settled into a new house in Knoxville so I won’t be back out again until the following weekend. Gonna have to plan an out of state hunt there at some point.

Guess it is time to change my avatar…

20a48d76c38d699ecc3c54d4172a2d56.jpg

Did some scouting after work and found this guy loaded down. Lots of acorns dropping too but not much browse sign yet on them. Got too many spots to decide on for this Fridays sit.

Where abouts did you find that?

I decided to scout yesterday instead of hunt. I found the creek crossing that had some nice buck tracks in it, an old rub line that I didn’t know was there, and some pin oaks starting to drop. My only problem is the wind typically swirls when I’ve been there. The good news is it’s next to a busy hwy, and I’ll have noise cover going in on a calm day. I may go in there today, if my work load permits it.

Last two years I spent a lot of time scouting (during the summer), didn’t seem to translate into getting onto bucks, though I had does in shooting range with no doe tag. This year I’m going to focus on in season scouting. Went out the day before season, found a little grown over trail with deer poop and some scraps. Climbed up after sun up on Sunday because I worked until 2am. Didn’t see anything. I’m going to try and go out for a few hours tomorrow after night shift.

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpeg
    IMG_2193.jpeg
    744.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back