• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your 2024 Elk Hunt

Camelcluch

SH Member
As the west is in the middle of application season, it’s time to plan. Things are getting tough to come out for elk and mule deer. Because everyone has been extremely helpful with whitetail learn-in, I’m will to help you all get out west. In 2025 Colorado will most likely lose non resident OTC. If you want to hunt this is a great year.
What I’m offering is information in your plans. I won’t tell you where to go but will help with the hunt plan of the area you research. I will help with gear decisions and hunt strategy. I can also help with the Colorado draw and getting the most out of your application. I can also help with plans in other states. Right now it will take you about $2000 to hunt if you camp. Thanks again and please feel free to ask any questions. Good luck to you all.

This is very timely @Camelcluch, as I got asked to go this past year for the upcoming 2024 Colorado elk hunt. The bad thing is we are both from Georgia and I have never even been to Colorado or know anything about elk hunting.
The idea is to archery hunt in September. We plan to drive out and camp to try and make it budget friendly but have no clue how to even start locating a good place that hopefully these ignorant Georgians to elk hunting could at least be in the game.
Is there certain areas of Colorado more concentrated with elk that would be a good starting point?
Is there designated camping spots for hunters or are we allowed to camp where ever?
Are you allowed to carry a pistol while elk hunting... just for protection... from what ever I need protection from that I don't know of yet.
What kinda backpack?
What kinda boots?
Do I need something sterilize water?
Is it better to tent camp or hammock camp?
Never mind, I could go on and on just because I have no clue. I am so excited at the the opportunity but realizing that my chances of seeing an elk while actually hunting would be a miracle based on my ignorance.

Timely Thread for me. I'd like to do an OTC elk/mule hunt. I'm not married to a particular state, CO seems great. I was planning to talk to a bunch of outfitters at the GAOS Harrisburg show and just pick one.

Bad idea? Good idea?

While I don't mind roughing it, since this is probably a once in a lifetime or once a decade trip for me I'd prefer a lodge, rather not share it with a bunch of idiots who stay up all night drinking. I think my biggest questions are about the logistics of getting the meat home if I fly. Same thing with getting any taxidermy shipped. Also nervous about picking the right outfitter.

Why is CO losing OTC non-resident elk?

I’ll definitely be asking for some help at some point, would definitely like to figure out a way to help back.

This stuff is crazy, doesn’t help im trying to get a footprint for multiple species, and in different states. A ton of computer time.

Main question from me is preference points. I’m assuming it’s different from state to state but let’s use Wyoming. When you buy preference points do you usually need to have a “pick” of which area and what now? Meaning zone/area.

My plan is to start buying up points in the states I want to hunt down the road. A lot of point buying is later in the year so I’m wondering if I need to start picking the areas I want to hunt now or can I just buy points usually.

I’ll definitely be asking for some help at some point, would definitely like to figure out a way to help back.

This stuff is crazy, doesn’t help im trying to get a footprint for multiple species, and in different states. A ton of computer time.

Main question from me is preference points. I’m assuming it’s different from state to state but let’s use Wyoming. When you buy preference points do you usually need to have a “pick” of which area and what now? Meaning zone/area.

My plan is to start buying up points in the states I want to hunt down the road. A lot of point buying is later in the year so I’m wondering if I need to start picking the areas I want to hunt now or can I just buy points usually.
Each state is different. Wyoming opens points late in the year. It’s just a point and I think $50. I believe points are different than the draw so you put in for the draw then buy a point later if you don’t draw. The draw is the cost of the tag.
Colorado you can buy a point in the draw or you will earn a point if you put in and do not get your first choice.
In both cases make sure to get points.

Last edited:
I am planning on heading back to CO in September for up to 3 weeks with two friends. I went last year with a few guys who had gone on previous hunts but this year it will likely be three of us with me being the only one with experience (very limited). I turn 60 this year and with the upcoming likely loss of OTC this may be my last opportunity to go. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on heading back to CO in September for up to 3 weeks with two friends. I went last year with a few guys who had gone on previous hunts but this year it will likely be three of us with me being the only one with experience (very limited). I turn 60 this year and with the upcoming likely loss of OTC this may be my last opportunity to go. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Not your last just have to figure out how to play the game after the changes.
If your buddies are new , make sure to give them specific jobs. Like someone plans food and the other camp spots. Start an OnX file to share ideas in.

Not your last just have to figure out how to play the game after the changes.
If your buddies are new , make sure to give them specific jobs. Like someone plans food and the other camp spots. Start an OnX file to share ideas in.
You are right. I'm the old guy in the group, kinda like the father figure. There is one 42 yo and a 22 yo. going with. Anyhow, already doing the things you mentioned, lots to do and Sept will be here before we realize or are ready.

Also, just because OTC is going away doesn't mean you won't be able to get a tag. There are several Colorado units that you can draw with 0 points, especially for archery.

I did my first DIY hunt last year driving to Montana from the Hampton Roads area of VA. I learned so much and was able to see what works and doesn't work for gear. OP is right, you probably already have a ton of the gear that you already need. This year I am in between Montana again (good draw odds with 0 points for BG game combo) or burning 6 Colorado points on a muzzleloader tag.

Wow this is great @Camelcluch appreciate your willingness to help this eastern hills and hollers boy! My wife lived in Broomfield for a few years, she currently has family in Arvada. I’ve never been out there and have no clue. She said she was close to Estes Park? We were kind of half thinking of planning a visit. She and the kids would soak with family, I would hunt. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. :) I have the same questions as everyone else. None of her family hunt. So logistically would it be practical to stay with family and then be able to hunt or do you really have to pack and camp way in to get into the Elk? What areas around there are archery only OTC with good populations? In my situation where I’d likely be a soloist, how realistic is it to camp, kill, clean and pack out an elk? Can you leave your truck at access spots and be confident there’s no vandalism? What’s the $2000 for specifically? I’m assuming licenses and tags, gas, meat processing fees? Camp area fees? What else. I’m drawn to archery but wouldn’t discount a ML hunting opportunity either.

The $2000 is the hunt. You probably have most of what you need and I can help with budget options on items you will need.
PM coming at you
This is a pretty good budget number but, it can be done a little cheaper with a small group. My trip to CO last year cost me a little less than $900 for small game license, elk application and bull tag. Three of us drove straight through in one truck which cost us about $300 each in gas. Only other expense was a few bucks at the laundromat to dry clothes and lunch at the Mexican place beside it the one day we ran into town.

Edit: This obviously doesn’t count the food we ate over the two weeks. I would be eating if I was at home too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on these for long. There are fewer every year and if non resident OTC goes away I can almost guarantee that there won't be anymore 0 point draws.
I can agree with that. It will all depend on what Colorado decide to do with non-residents. I'm really interested to see how the new non-resident regions in Wyoming work out for this 2024 draw. Those special draw prices are crazy.

I wouldn't count on these for long. There are fewer every year and if non resident OTC goes away I can almost guarantee that there won't be anymore 0 point draws.
My guess is the zero point draw units will turn into one or two points and OTC units will turn into zero point units with the exception that you get locked into a cluster of units.

Either that or CO adopts some sort of "general tag" that you have to draw like MT/WY for OTC and be eligible to draw the draw units.

Either way the game is changing so make hay while the sun's still shining

This is very timely @Camelcluch, as I got asked to go this past year for the upcoming 2024 Colorado elk hunt. The bad thing is we are both from Georgia and I have never even been to Colorado or know anything about elk hunting.
The idea is to archery hunt in September. We plan to drive out and camp to try and make it budget friendly but have no clue how to even start locating a good place that hopefully these ignorant Georgians to elk hunting could at least be in the game.
Is there certain areas of Colorado more concentrated with elk that would be a good starting point?
Is there designated camping spots for hunters or are we allowed to camp where ever?
Are you allowed to carry a pistol while elk hunting... just for protection... from what ever I need protection from that I don't know of yet.
What kinda backpack?
What kinda boots?
Do I need something sterilize water?
Is it better to tent camp or hammock camp?
Never mind, I could go on and on just because I have no clue. I am so excited at the the opportunity but realizing that my chances of seeing an elk while actually hunting would be a miracle based on my ignorance.
Yes. ;)

Also, just because OTC is going away doesn't mean you won't be able to get a tag. There are several Colorado units that you can draw with 0 points, especially for archery.

I did my first DIY hunt last year driving to Montana from the Hampton Roads area of VA. I learned so much and was able to see what works and doesn't work for gear. OP is right, you probably already have a ton of the gear that you already need. This year I am in between Montana again (good draw odds with 0 points for BG game combo) or burning 6 Colorado points on a muzzleloader tag.
I’m in Hampton Roads also. Long drive but great time.

Back