• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hickory Creek Koolaid

I just emailed Jerry the other day with this question. Here’s a copy and paste of his reply.

you will need to purchase a right handed BullPup and change some other parts on the bow. Thank you for your questions

Hickory Creek Archery
I got the same reply. I feel his reply is a good balance of business and liability. He wants to sell you a bullpup and he cant tell you to use it in the wrong hand in case accident happened. Nothing is wrong with that, it's what l would do if owned a business.

So is 340 spine too weak for the Mini set at 150lbs? I know the arrows that comes with them are 300 spine at 23in. Would shortening the 340 to 21-22 inches make it stiff enough for standard 100gr tip?

Is the stock/length of pull adjustable?
Info requested=

Can someone with a Hickory creek mini measure the length of pull (heel of stock to face of trigger) for me please?

I have kids and have been on the lookout for an easy to maneuver youth crossbow, I would love to pickup a hc mini and even better if the kids could use it as well.

Thanks in advance yall!

1704225529561.png

Info requested=

Can someone with a Hickory creek mini measure the length of pull (heel of stock to face of trigger) for me please?

I have kids and have been on the lookout for an easy to maneuver youth crossbow, I would love to pickup a hc mini and even better if the kids could use it as well.

Thanks in advance yall!

View attachment 97805

Kids can shoot it easily. It’s “mini”.

However, I strongly advise against letting the average kid shoot it. You have to put your finger inside the trigger guard(if your bow even has one) to manipulate the safety.

I am a conscientious, thoughtful, careful person with a fully developed prefrontal cortex. I managed to discharge the weapon on accident.

Leaving one of these in the hands of a kid greatly increases the chances someone gets hurt or killed. You being there to supervise at all times lowers this risk somewhat, but not a lot.

This is a hunting tool for adults. It is a very effective tool too. But I wouldn’t recommend it being a fun toy for children.

However, I strongly advise against letting the average kid shoot it. You have to put your finger inside the trigger guard(if your bow even has one) to manipulate the safety.

I am a conscientious, thoughtful, careful person with a fully developed prefrontal cortex. I managed to discharge the weapon on accident.

Leaving one of these in the hands of a kid greatly increases the chances someone gets hurt or killed. You being there to supervise at all times lowers this risk somewhat, but not a lot.

This is a hunting tool for adults. It is a very effective tool too. But I wouldn’t recommend it being a fun toy for children.
Yep fully aware, full blown trained and certified Dad RSO here, this would not be a toy, but a means to help my kids harvest deer since our bow (crossbow) season is 10x longer than gun were I live and I am at the mercy of public land (which further limits weapons).

Thanks for the concern and warning with the safety, but I was just looking for a measurement.

Yep fully aware, full blown trained and certified Dad RSO here, this would not be a toy, but a means to help my kids harvest deer since our bow (crossbow) season is 10x longer than gun were I live and I am at the mercy of public land (which further limits weapons).

Thanks for the concern and warning with the safety, but I was just looking for a measurement.
15".

Drank the koolaid, just wondering who hunt with their Mini set at 125lbs? I have a bunch of 350 spine arrow laying around and instead of buy MORE arrows, figured I use 350 spine arrows at 125lbs. Speed should still be in the high 200s I assume.

Drank the koolaid, just wondering who hunt with their Mini set at 125lbs? I have a bunch of 350 spine arrow laying around and instead of buy MORE arrows, figured I use 350 spine arrows at 125lbs. Speed should still be in the high 200s I assume.

If you cut your 350’s down as short as you can, and you’re using less than 200gr total weight up front, my guess is that the arrows will tune just fine. At 150lbs.

I shoot my mini at 125. No issues at all. Arrows still bury in the dirt on the exit side. I use sharp fixed blade heads and everything tunes just fine. I agree with kyler1945 - keep the weight up front acceptable and you will be fine.

I bought the Mini a couple of years ago and have struggled to really like this bow. I have hunted with it off and on killing several deer. I really like the weight and how the bow is set up which is perfect for saddle hunting.

Here is what I have struggled with over the last 2 years:

1: Accuracy was questionable. I locked the bow together with a locking nut and that solved the accuracy problem.

2: Stock scope. Replaced with a Nikon Cross Bolt. Big improvement, but not perfect. I just have a hard time canting my head over on the bow to get a good sight picture. I recently viewed Nutterbuster's video on the Burris Fastfire 3. The bow was up For Sale, but I had to give it a go. I mounted and sighted in the Fastfire 3 today. The bow is no longer For Sale. The Fastfire 3 is what I have been looking for to complete this bow. I can now shoot with both eyes open and obtain that sight picture really quick.

Thank Ya Everybody!!!

Does anyone know the thread size on the rail part that goes into the riser? I know this isn't the mini but hopefully the pic gives ya an idea what I'm talking about. I'm going to try to find a knob style nut to fit it and hopefully tighten the two pieces better. View attachment 29890
What’s this? Is there a recurve model? Definitely prefer avoiding anything with cams when I can.

What’s this? Is there a recurve model? Definitely prefer avoiding anything with cams when I can.
Yeah but check with your regs because in it's stock form it's not "shoulder fired" and that's one of the stipulations that defines a crossbow for hunting here.

Yeah but check with your regs because in it's stock form it's not "shoulder fired" and that's one of the stipulations that defines a crossbow for hunting here.
Thanks for the heads up! Lots of nuances with these things.

Care to share how the negligent discharge went down?

Looking to do a 250 spine arrow build this offseason for the Mini. Any suggestions? Or anyone have any they’re willing to part with? Probably start with half a dozen. Would like to keep same standard arrow diameter .244”.

Back