• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

String cost rant.

Definitely not taken that way lol I was just giving a different perspective about having a press if you were ever debating getting one. Yeah I do what I can, waiting for the boys all to get old enough for extra hands lol luckily between the 5 they all love at least one of my hobbies
Buddy I debate on getting everything. Problem is I usually lose, or win depending on perspective, and I end up buying.
Nothing better than the kids falling in love with a passion/hobby you have though is there?! Like growing a garden? Good. I need to read more about that I could grow our veggies better, we’ll work on it together.
Wanna shoot your bow every day and see if you can beat me? Good. Now I have to shoot every day.
You have to read 10 pages a day for school so I should do more? Good. I’ll read 15.

String/cables plus installation will hit around $175-$225 range. It has gotten expensive but so has everything else on the bow. Most factory strings are pretty good and will last several years. If a person shoots a lot, 2-3 years the string/cables can be replaced. If a person doesn't shoot much, every 5-6 years is fine. I've built and replaced string/cables that were 12+ years old, some even older. I bought a Parker bow at a yard sale for $15 and right away I noticed the string/cables. They were some I built over 20 years ago. I just recently built a new set for it and plan on selling the bow.

String building is time consuming and without expensive equipment to speed up the process, it isn't worth the time to build and sell them. I build string/cables, install and tune. But I stay local and don't do much of any internet sales. It takes some equipment and tools and the knowledge to build for different brands and get the specs right. Plus, it is hard on the hands and fingers.

Catfish is still a good value. He did post that he had to raise the price. I think Archery Shack is $80 but I have never used a set.

Catfish is still a good value. He did post that he had to raise the price. I think Archery Shack is $80 but I have never used a set.
You could probably put all the big name makers all in a box, shake em up and never know the difference. Catfish is made here in Michigan and I like to support smaller companies where I can. I think I will hold off another year as I think my reps where low last season unfortunately. But will probably get another set of catfish strings next season if i don't break my bow again.

I found strings from 80 to 160. I got the 160 set, I think it's us driving it.
That's what I was intimating in the other thread about custom bows. Sure material costs are up, but pricing decisions tend to lean more toward the consumer driven side of the economic balance. Until the market finds the new ceiling that boys are willing to pay for these toys, we're still on the upswing here.

That's what I was intimating in the other thread about custom bows. Sure material costs are up, but pricing decisions tend to lean more toward the consumer driven side of the economic balance. Until the market finds the new ceiling that boys are willing to pay for these toys, we're still on the upswing here.
Yeah, the smaller bowyers prices are the same as the bigger bowyers now. So my options actually expanded even if it is taking longer to save up for.

My only custom bow is a Maddog that was $400ish 2 years ago. But bowyers retired due to material and shipping cost.

I was paying 100-110.00 for strings back in 2007-2008 for basic single cam sets. When I started shooting Prime, 130ish I believe and that's simply because you're buying 5 strings essentially. Same goes for Mathews now if they're still using that halon style cam. For the last 14yrs or so now I've been making my own strings as it's just a basic endless loop for longbows. Only about half way through my original spool of D97.

I'm so glad nobody in this thread also reloads their own ammo and mentions the price of reloading components. Or going grocery shopping. Hahahaha.

Those two things will make new strings look like a bargain.
Come on now. I'm a saddle hunter. Can't afford to be a shooter / re loader as well.

Check out John Mosier (John's Custom Archery). He's on AT. Makes top notch strings for a great price.

I think I paid $115 or so for my last set from Threadz. Great bow strings by the way. No stretch or peep twist, stay in tune, awesome color selection, and fast shipping.

I ended up getting a bowpress so I could do all my own work. Ended up paying for itself rather quickly, with each trip to my closest bow shop being a 2 hour round trip in a big V8 truck, and $60 to install, then seeing all the goodies hanging on the walls costing me even more money.

BT

Everything is expensive nowadays. They used the cold as the excuse to price gouge us, then realized why ever lower prices again?

I typically keep a set of strings on at least 5 years. Maybe combat prices with quality string wax?

I think I paid $115 or so for my last set from Threadz. Great bow strings by the way. No stretch or peep twist, stay in tune, awesome color selection, and fast shipping.

I ended up getting a bowpress so I could do all my own work. Ended up paying for itself rather quickly, with each trip to my closest bow shop being a 2 hour round trip in a big V8 truck, and $60 to install, then seeing all the goodies hanging on the walls costing me even more money.

BT
I use a G2 portable bow press. It's the best 50 bucks or so I've spent on hunting gear. I'm my own amateur bow tech now. It's really nice swapping strings or whatnot at your house and walking right outside to shoot and right back in to adjust

I use a G2 portable bow press. It's the best 50 bucks or so I've spent on hunting gear. I'm my own amateur bow tech now. It's really nice swapping strings or whatnot at your house and walking right outside to shoot and right back in to adjust

I started with one of those on my first bow. My other bows have beyond parallel limbs though so had to get a regular press. My next bow is unfortunately going to cause me to buy a $250 upgrade kit for my press. Ugh.

BT

Back