• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CGM Preset Kit

not being a SRT/DRT guy, I take it you hang the black loops in the tree and run the orange paracord to the ground. Then when you get to the tree you run your main rope on the path of the paracord until both ends are on the ground and then cinch it up with a delta link or equivalent? Then climb single rope?

rick

not being a SRT/DRT guy, I take it you hang the black loops in the tree and run the orange paracord to the ground. Then when you get to the tree you run your main rope on the path of the paracord until both ends are on the ground and then cinch it up with a delta link or equivalent? Then climb single rope?

rick
Pretty much yes.

I was intrigued also. Let us know how they work.
I’ve been watching and re-watching JRB’s videos on running eyes and false crotches, but this takes all the fiddling right out if it works as intended. Depending on cost, I can see this making my screw-ins and cheap preset sticks nearly obsolete.

I’ve been watching and re-watching JRB’s videos on running eyes and false crotches, but this takes all the fiddling right out if it works as intended. Depending on cost, I can see this making my screw-ins and cheap preset sticks nearly obsolete.
I agree with you there. I'm going to be honest, price is going to be deciding factor for me buying some or.......

Cutting a bunch of rings from PVC pipes and duct taping them to a bunch of tree.

I agree with you there. I'm going to be honest, price is going to be deciding factor for me buying some or.......

Cutting a bunch of rings from PVC pipes and duct taping them to a bunch of tree.
This year I bought a package of 1-1/2" couplers to attach them to the tree.... I like this CSM system. I only used 1 pvc coupling an paracord attached to the tree, then girth hitched using the maverick. Only downsides are tying the paracord around the tree and PVC. Also, the length of Rope is sometimes not quite enough for tall presets.

First thing in ma head, wow I shoulda thought of that.

Second, I can't wait to hear about the first doofus to climb on the rings instead of girthing the tree.
This is a legit concern and one of the reasons we haven't listed them yet! Tryna figure out a way to keep that from happening.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

@always89y how did you know this is the exact piece of equipment I’ve been looking for?

I’ll be throwing at least a half dozen of these into the woods in the off-season.

Freaking brilliant work by Custom Gear Mods, YET AGAIN.

View attachment 99035
No link on the site yet but the Instagram post is a good teaser.
Been watching you through your laptop camera.

Should have them up soon. Shooting for $15-18 per set of 2, with strap and rope lock.

Seriously, that’s a great price IMO! I won’t say what my ceiling was lol but that’s lower and I appreciate it.
Totally affordable and I am super excited to be one of your first orders for it.

This is a legit concern and one of the reasons we haven't listed them yet! Tryna figure out a way to keep that from happening.

Not sure I would list it until you had a very thorough instructional video and your legal paperwork ironed out well. Might want to have a talk with the surance man too. I'm guessing you have already thought through all that but felt it worth mentioning for Justin Case. ;)

So actually the only way someone could climb on just those rings without girth hitching the trunk would be the JRB/DRT method of climbing both ropes. My experience with 3D print material also makes it seem like you'd find out pretty fast that you messed up as soon as you put your full body weight on it...

I wonder if it's possible to manufacture the rings with an opening in the bottom, make it tight so a light amount of pressure (like when pulling the rope up/through) it stays put, but if you put bodyweight on it, it opens/ rope slips out of the loops. Likely would cause some frustration with accidental rope drops if someone were to yank too hard when setting, but would keep the potential rings only climber from getting off the ground?

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to manufacture the rings with an opening in the bottom, make it tight so a light amount of pressure (like when pulling the rope up/through) it stays out, but if you put bodyweight on it, it opens/ rope slips out of the loops. Likely would cause some frustration with accidental rope drops if someone were to yank too hard when setting, but would keep the potential rings only climber from getting off the ground?
maybe put the openings on top, something like an 80% ring, that way it doesn't appear to be load bearing at all just guiding rings to help with rope placement. If someone did apply a load to them they should snap off cleanly before any height can be obtained

Back