• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Linesman belt instead of linesman rope, input please

white03

So I'm very new to saddle hunting, but I hated using a prussic knot on my linesman rope. Too hard to adjust with only one hand

I know there are other options to make a linesman rope easier to adjust with one hand, but I started using a linesman belt (see picture below) on my last couple climbs. It's super easy to adjust and might even be stronger than a rope. Other than being a little more difficult to make into a daisy chain for storage, I may decide to keep using it.

I would appreciate any input or feedback on using a linesman belt instead of a lineman rope.

Attachments

• linesmanbelt.png
    linesmanbelt.png
    706.5 KB · Views: 32
I hear you with not liking prusik's on your lineman rope. It's for this reason why I switched over to using a Ropeman 1 on my lineman rope. Makes adjustments super easy and 1 handed. As for using a belt, I personally wouldn't but that's just me. If it works for you, it's fine.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I use a prusik for my lineman's. I don't usually put enough pressure to lock it down hard, but I just rotate the knot so I can push the "cross over loop" (for lack of a better term) to loosen it slightly. It takes some practice to find the easiest way for you to do it. Using a rope instead of a belt is going to save you weight and bulk.

The prusik is probably the worst knot for a lineman's lanyard. If you get a tender and hitch rope and learn to tie your own hitches, then they will break free with one hand. You need the correct diameter of hitch rope to match your main line. There are several hitches that are good. I use a distel hitch but add an extra wrap compared to typical knot pattern. You can also buy pre-made ropes with tenders and hitch cord.

Lastly, I don't trust any of the setups from the brands sold at box stores (Muddy, Hunter Safety systems). Half the time, they don't tie their knots as I would (use metal clamps and shrink tube or something) and their carabiners don't have a name or rating on them and neither do the ropes. Some folks say "it's muddy...of course they use good stuff so they don't get sued!" But I find that logic to be problematic given my life experience.

Last edited:
What is the difference? And how is it more easily adjusted? I am not a lineman, but when I think lineman belt, I think of the actually thing that linesmen wear around their waist (replacing the saddle), what do you mean by linesman belt? Is this webbing with a triglide instead of cord with a prusik?

Dutchtouch - remember I'm new here and still learning the correct terminology. As Brocky said, calling it a strap is really more appropriate and no it's not a triglide (had to google triglide to see what that was). Not sure what the correct name of the "buckle" is but someone will tell you. To tighten it (make it shorter) you simply pull the loose end and to loosen it (make it longer) you lift the extended portion of the buckle. Very simple one handed operation

I am no expert but I have found that how well a prusik breaks varies on the type of rope used. On my Sterling 9mm HTP with Serling 7mm accessory cord it breaks and slides easily. With 8mm Oplux not so great.

Dutchtouch - remember I'm new here and still learning the correct terminology. As Brocky said, calling it a strap is really more appropriate and no it's not a triglide (had to google triglide to see what that was). Not sure what the correct name of the "buckle" is but someone will tell you. To tighten it (make it shorter) you simply pull the loose end and to loosen it (make it longer) you lift the extended portion of the buckle. Very simple one handed operation
No shame/negativity meant from my end, I was just struggling to understand. I use a CT roll'n'lock on my linesman (when I climb with one-ive been doing more one sticking and 2TC this last two seasons so have mainly used my LB as an extra tether to pass the occasional limb)

So I'm very new to saddle hunting, but I hated using a prussic knot on my linesman rope. Too hard to adjust with only one hand

I know there are other options to make a linesman rope easier to adjust with one hand, but I started using a linesman belt (see picture below) on my last couple climbs. It's super easy to adjust and might even be stronger than a rope. Other than being a little more difficult to make into a daisy chain for storage, I may decide to keep using it.

I would appreciate any input or feedback on using a linesman belt instead of a lineman rope.
I would think the downside to the strap you referred to would be on trees that have rough bark. With the wider strap it might be more difficult to move it all up on some of the "shaggy" bark trees.

I would also wonder how this strap works when it is damp or downright wet. Seems possible that it could get slippery...

I hear you with not liking prusik's on your lineman rope. It's for this reason why I switched over to using a Ropeman 1 on my lineman rope. Makes adjustments super easy and 1 handed. As for using a belt, I personally wouldn't but that's just me. If it works for you, it's fine.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
Btw wild country has released Ropeman 4 that has the smooth teeth again but with wider rope diameter rating.

I’ve been using 8mm Oplux rope and a Kong Duck as my mechanical prussic for it as my linesman rope/belt for the past few years. That mechanical prussic requires an oval climb rated carabiner to function properly. The Carabiner is an oval Notch quick adjust (non screw) and I can do it all one handed. My lineman rope/belt “lives” on the left side of my saddle and is girth hitched to the linesman loop on that side. Since it is always there, I chose the smaller diameter rope because it’s less obtrusive while hunting. Once I’m at hunting height, I simply daisy chain the rope up and clip it to the same linesman loop its girth hitched to. It lays to my side out of the way until I need it to ascend or descend. This year I may remove the mechanical Prusik and go with a specialized but simple to tie and tend hitch instead to make everything even less bulky. The only two things on my saddle are the lineman’s belt and my tether. I may even try daisy chaining that instead of using a dump pouch. Haven’t decided fully on the hitch yet but leaning heavily toward the schtict hitch for no metal products on both my LB and tether besides the biners.

I bought the linesman's put out by Wild Line Ropes. It is super lightweight and has the WLR hitch for easy one hand adjustment. I've been lovin it:grin:

Used a belt in the past. Not a fan. I’ve got a sewn eye Resctec in 8mm girth hitched on the left and stowed in the pouch. It attaches to the right side when in use with a mad rock carabiner using a sewn 13’ hollow block With 4 wrap hedden knot. I tend the know with a 6” Beastee D-ring tender from Hang free. Lightest and most “one handed” option I could find. My knog ascender never was truest one handed but this new setup it much easier.

Added irrelevant information: I use Resctec triad bridge with 7” tenders on each side. Makes bridge adjustments for a one sticker so much nicer at hieght. Love this setup.

Thank you guys for taking the time and effort to answer me and tell me what you are doing and how. It's really helpful!!

Let me say I've ben a member of sevaral specialized forums and this is by far the friendliest and most information sharing forum I've ever belonmged to. !!!!!!!

This and a few other threads served as motivation to do a video on a DIY Linemans belt design. Hope it gives ya some perspective. Remember, it's just a positioning device. Always remain tied in.

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

Back