• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch Ewwwwwwww

The American Dream. Start a small, scrappy startup selling a quality product and treating people right. Advertise that you're not like those big, soulless companies that sell cheap crap made in China and only care about the money. Grow it to the point that it's a raging PITA to manage. Quietly sell it to a large, soulless company. Company fires all the employees, exports production, keeps the price the same. Makes bank until folks figure it out. People move onto the next scrappy company. Soulless company bleeds acquisition for what it's worth, discards the husk, and waits for the next acquisition.

For those that don't want to read, they are now owned by yeti.

It seems like the founders have done this a few times, this is their third pack company, all of which were grown and then sold to larger brands... Pretty normal capitalism type stuff I think?

I recently left a company that sold to an investment company. First month at new company I got told they are ALSO selling to an investment company.

Remind me when a new commander join the unit and first thing they all say at the welcoming ceremonies are "All policies and regulations are still in affect"......UNTIL they change it!

It is literally as @Nutterbuster say, its the American dream. Built up a small company until its profitable, set a selling price, if someone meets it, sell.

I'm not going to lie, I don't see anything wrong with selling your company that you built up for 10-20 years when you're getting ready to retire. It would be nice if you can pass it down the family, but if you're children has no interest in it, don't force it.

Totally normal. I have some mixed feelings on late stage capitalism in terms of the health of society, but we'll keep this thead apolitcal as possible. But I also love money and can't fight gravity, so speaking as a business owner, I will totally sell out if I ever have the opportunity.

My feelz expressed are just coming from the viewpoint of an unashamed popup fanboy.

And Yeti isn't really even the part of capitalism I have a problem with, it's more the conspicous consumption and validation through symbolic consumerism. What a hollow way to derive satisfaction from life.

I keep this essay open in a tab and read it a few times a year, I don’t expect anybody to read it but long story short the fight for survival requires tossing “values” out left and right. The more competitive it gets, the more values must be abandoned. And those who abandon values most readily succeed and procreate. All of civilization is a complex landscape of incentives, don’t hate the player hate the game, but there is basically no way out. Interesting implications for public land, leases, AI, pollution, pack quality, corn pile baiting, and two income households where the parents just grind more than raising the kids. It’s all Moloch.

I keep this essay open in a tab and read it a few times a year, I don’t expect anybody to read it but long story short the fight for survival requires tossing “values” out left and right. The more competitive it gets, the more values must be abandoned. And those who abandon values most readily succeed and procreate. All of civilization is a complex landscape of incentives, don’t hate the player hate the game, but there is basically no way out. Interesting implications for public land, leases, AI, pollution, pack quality, corn pile baiting, and two income households where the parents just grind more than raising the kids. It’s all Moloch.

There is this controversial book The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand. Basically that sometime society teach us to be too polite, that it can causes internal conflict within ourselves because there is nothing wrong with being selfish in the right situation. My favorite example is when two people are sitting outside an office waiting for their turn to interview for the same job. It was time for the next person in line, he look at the other person, offer a smile and say "Good luck!" The other personal response without hesitation "Good luck to you too!"

Why......?

You're both after the SAME JOB! If you don't talk to each other, fine, but any actions you SHOULD be taking is trying to psych the other person out by psychological warfare. But no, we are train to be 'nice' to be 'polite' even when deep down we don't really want to. You should want them to fail because it would increase your chance of getting the job. Its even worse when we aren't just being disingenuous to others, but we are brainwashed so deeply that we honestly hope for the wellbeing of anyone else beside ourselves in this situation.

"I hope you have a bad interview, I hope you throw up on the manager desk and accidentally call his wife his mom."

Eh maybe a job wasn't the right analogy there. Most of the jobs I've had I would indeed wish upon my worst enemy.

There a segue into my thoughts on where capitalism stands today. Small businesses? Independence? Nah, trust us, we got you here at Applezon. Just shut up be happy and live in your nice little company town and get your amazon delivery dopamine fixes. Or take a hit of this like and subscribe, that will make you feel better. Still feeling hollow? Okay, fly across the world and feel hollow there so you can flex on it. That's what you'll do, because it's best for you. Okay? Okay?

Sorry I woke up on the cynical side of the bed this morning.

Last edited:
Yeah, whether in the interview setting or in sports/racing, I always said good luck with a smile, because I knew I could beat them.

There is this controversial book The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand. Basically that sometime society teach us to be too polite, that it can causes internal conflict within ourselves because there is nothing wrong with being selfish in the right situation. My favorite example is when two people are sitting outside an office waiting for their turn to interview for the same job. It was time for the next person in line, he look at the other person, offer a smile and say "Good luck!" The other personal response without hesitation "Good luck to you too!"

Why......?

You're both after the SAME JOB! If you don't talk to each other, fine, but any actions you SHOULD be taking is trying to psych the other person out by psychological warfare. But no, we are train to be 'nice' to be 'polite' even when deep down we don't really want to. You should want them to fail because it would increase your chance of getting the job. Its even worse when we aren't just being disingenuous to others, but we are brainwashed so deeply that we honestly hope for the wellbeing of anyone else beside ourselves in this situation.

"I hope you have a bad interview, I hope you throw up on the manager desk and accidentally call his wife his mom."
Read Listened to that book last Summer. I've also listened to Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead a few times over the years.
Fantastic books. All of them. The Virtue of Selfishness is great for a LOT of reasons. One of which is her chapter on Racism.
Another is that it references a whole lot of passages from Atlas Shrugged so you get a feel for what that MAMOTH of a book is w/o listening to over 60 hours of it....

Why......?
I get what you're saying but this life is temporal, what really matters is how we treat each other. I'm usually pretty horrible at it though I'll be the first to admit.

I recently left a company that sold to an investment company. First month at new company I got told they are ALSO selling to an investment company.

Remind me when a new commander join the unit and first thing they all say at the welcoming ceremonies are "All policies and regulations are still in affect"......UNTIL they change it!

It is literally as @Nutterbuster say, its the American dream. Built up a small company until its profitable, set a selling price, if someone meets it, sell.

I'm not going to lie, I don't see anything wrong with selling your company that you built up for 10-20 years when you're getting ready to retire. It would be nice if you can pass it down the family, but if you're children has no interest in it, don't force it.
My company just got bought out by an equity firm. We will see how it goes. Transfer is supposed to go thru by the end of the first quarter.

Back