• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oklahoma bill looks to DOUBLE non-resident cost

From the article, "Countless Oklahomans have shared their concerns and frustrations after they were unable to access a WMA due to the number of nonresident hunters and visitors."

The statement references "a WMA". Which WMA was it, there are several throughout the state.
The statement also references "countless", is that 100 or 3?
How did they know the hunters were out of state.

I'm not saying there isnt an issue here in OK or in any other state, but iam going to take a guess here...
Residents were hunting there normal WMA spot. Rolled up one day and saw vehicles with out of state plates.
Got passed and contacted the senator.
Sounds like this is local to one area and not a statewide issue, but I could be wrong.

I do believe that residents should have first access rights.
Perhaps make WMA's exclusive to residents on weekends or identify one week.
Maybe limit the nonresident tags via lottery.

As a Louisianian with limited time, I went to apply for Elk and Black Bear lottery in Oklahoma. They require you to purchase all the necessary licensing and tag fees BEFORE the lottery draw. I didn't bother to add it all up but it would be well over $600 for a very small chance at winning. Can't do it. Seems crazy to me when they could get a lot of revenue from lottery fees.

PS Kentucky and Tennessee do not do this and they each got $20 from me for a chance to elk hunt.

Definitely not a one state phenomenon. During the rut in Ohio, you cant even find a pull off on Wayne National Forest that isnt blocked with out of state plates, mainly NC and TN tags.

I hunt public land in October here for that reason.

As a Louisianian with limited time, I went to apply for Elk and Black Bear lottery in Oklahoma. They require you to purchase all the necessary licensing and tag fees BEFORE the lottery draw. I didn't bother to add it all up but it would be well over $600 for a very small chance at winning. Can't do it. Seems crazy to me when they could get a lot of revenue from lottery fees.

PS Kentucky and Tennessee do not do this and they each got $20 from me for a chance to elk hunt.
PA does the elk draw money maker too. Gotta balance that budget and fund #conservation. It definitely pisses a lot of the resident applicants off. Most of the them don't live here amongst the 5 county elk range anywho so I don't know why they feel they have a skin in the game.

Man, why didn’t I think of hunting my own state… that solves everything…

Considering that there are only 3 pieces of public hunting ground on the north side of the Dallas/Fort Worth area servicing a metropolitan population of 7 MILLION people, there isn’t much room on those properties. Full parking lots, and guys parking along roads for lack of parking, is a constant during season. Private land access is pay to play, there is no longer such a thing as “permission” for 99% of of here in Texas. So, if you’d like to supplement the $2,000-3,000 for a lease I can’t afford, I’ll take it. Otherwise… I’ll just continue hunting the state that is a 40 minute drive from my house and has less than 20% of the pressure of my state’s public ground, and hope this yahoo senator isn’t successful in proving me out of that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like your main problem is a lack of opportunity in your own state. Texas always seemed like a big waste to me because it’s so frigging big but has such a pathetic amount of public land. It’s also amusing that you want to raise the price of Texas tags for okies when there’s no where for us to hunt down there anyways. Texas is probably the last state in the union I would choose for an out of state hunt.

I would consider an out of state whitetail hunt, even though we have plenty of them here. To me, half the fun of hunting is exploring new places I haven't been. We have a few places that we hunt over and over, but more often than not, even on WMAs I've hunted all my life I'm headed to some tree I've never been in before.

But wherever I went, it would be to hunt terrain and habitat we don't have around here, not for more deer or bigger deer.

Seems like your main problem is a lack of opportunity in your own state. Texas always seemed like a big waste to me because it’s so frigging big but has such a pathetic amount of public land. It’s also amusing that you want to raise the price of Texas tags for okies when there’s no where for us to hunt down there anyways. Texas is probably the last state in the union I would choose for an out of state hunt.

It’s not a state to travel to for public land hunts. People go for the paid private land hunts.

I’m reminded of how fortunate I am to have been willing from a young age to move to places that fit my lifestyle choices. And that I didn’t spend time complaining about the places that didn’t align well with the tradeoffs I was willing to make.

Also, bummed Oklahoma was on the list to hunt. Might not be now.

Man, why didn’t I think of hunting my own state… that solves everything…

Considering that there are only 3 pieces of public hunting ground on the north side of the Dallas/Fort Worth area servicing a metropolitan population of 7 MILLION people, there isn’t much room on those properties. Full parking lots, and guys parking along roads for lack of parking, is a constant during season. Private land access is pay to play, there is no longer such a thing as “permission” for 99% of of here in Texas. So, if you’d like to supplement the $2,000-3,000 for a lease I can’t afford, I’ll take it. Otherwise… I’ll just continue hunting the state that is a 40 minute drive from my house and has less than 20% of the pressure of my state’s public ground, and hope this yahoo senator isn’t successful in proving me out of that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve hunted Sam Houston and Crockett. Houston was downright scary.

Iowa is working on making things worse for residents and non residents alike. While I do often complain about our lack of public ground I am generally good with management aspects.

The following is NOT political, just informational and is on thread topic of cost so let’s not go down that path and get a thread locked.

Currently there is a bill that would ensure 500 of the 6,000 non resident tags are reserved for people registered to hunt with an outfitter registered in the state. So you have less chance to draw and more point creep if you aren’t paying up. Pay up and your odds probably get better.

As a resident this increases the likelihood outfitters would buy up or lease more land to line their pockets meaning even less land to hunt for the common man.

Times like these make me think the hunt quietly thing has more merit than I initially gave credit for and it just needs a better voice. How many of those 500 are going to go to someone with a sponsored YouTube/TV show? Think sponsor XYZ isn’t maybe helping to fund the bill that gets them more airtime in a place that has a higher likelihood of a large buck?

Anyway, tin foil hat off, rant over, sorry for the long post, etc.

Resident iowa hunters have risen up and that outfitter bill has been killed.

That was a horrible bill that was unleashing a slippery slope of gobbling up thousands of acres of hunting land into outfitter leases.

It's not the state doing this, it's lobbyists paid for by a minority, often not even from the state. Unfortunately, elected officials often listen to the lobbyists and hear little resistance from others and these bad bills can turn into laws.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Resident iowa hunters have risen up and that outfitter bill has been killed.

That was a horrible bill that was unleashing a slippery slope of gobbling up thousands of acres of hunting land into outfitter leases.

It's not the state doing this, it's lobbyists paid for by a minority, often not even from the state. Unfortunately, elected officials often listen to the lobbyists and hear little resistance from others and these bad bills can turn into laws.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Good to know, most recent info I could find didn’t show that. Appreciate the update. IMG_6342.jpeg

the hunt quietly thing has more merit than I initially gave credit for and it just needs a better voice
I'm slowly forming an opinion on the Hunt Quietly "movement." First impressions are that it definitely would benefit from a better voice.

But I think this and many other conversations ignore the 500lb gorilla in the room. While 40% of America's acreage is public land, most of it is functionally inaccessible for recreational use. Whether you're a kid who wants to build a treehouse or a 40 year old who wants to shoot elk, we've built a system that doesn't account for that.

Hunt Quietly doesn't in my mind propose to do enough (or possibly anything) about this problem. I haven't read into it enough, but I'm intuiting another schism that does nothing to change the overall trends.

I'm slowly forming an opinion on the Hunt Quietly "movement." First impressions are that it definitely would benefit from a better voice.

But I think this and many other conversations ignore the 500lb gorilla in the room. While 40% of America's acreage is public land, most of it is functionally inaccessible for recreational use. Whether you're a kid who wants to build a treehouse or a 40 year old who wants to shoot elk, we've built a system that doesn't account for that.

Hunt Quietly doesn't in my mind propose to do enough (or possibly anything) about this problem. I haven't read into it enough, but I'm intuiting another schism that does nothing to change the overall trends.
I’m more or less working on initial impressions as well so my opinion isn’t well formed but we at least agree on the voice. That’s something.

From what I’ve heard it seems likely you’re going to think more deeply about the issue than the host is currently. He might just be trying to start small and he’s doing something which is better than nothing so credit where it is due. At this point from the little I’ve sampled it seems more of an opposition to the media personalities driving people to locations and methods.

I agree with you overall so I hope my thoughts don’t come off wrong. I keep trying the podcast and just struggle to make it much through one so that’s admittedly a non-starter for a “movement” but maybe I at least think about things differently. It’s a start.

Here’s a thought, hunt your own state it’s much cheaper. Never understood travelking to hunt what you have in your state. Only thing I’ve travelled to hunt is Elk bc there isn’t elk in Louisiana. But white tail hunting, why would I spend 3-10x the price of tags to go to another state to hunt whitetail when we have them here? It’s always seemed ridiculous to me.
Come live in Florida and hunt public land a couple seasons and then we'll talk

Come live in Florida and hunt public land a couple seasons and then we'll talk
I’ve heard that about LA and public is all i hunt no problem. But yes FL may be the only place where whitetail hunting just isn’t that great bc of location. I’ve always wondered how it is sitting in a stand in Jan and it be 70degrees. I’ve always compared S. LA hunting to what FL goes through throughout the state. But that kind of goes to the availability I was saying, y’all have whitetail but I’m guessing size and numbers just aren’t there so it would behoove you to look elsewhere to hunt.

I know very little about Florida hunting but what I can gather from what Weldabeast has posted is that not only are their deer smaller than anywhere else, it seems that Florida has WMA regs that require you to have a PHD and a slide rule to figure out when and where you can hunt and with what on just about any given day and there are quotas you have to apply for. Seems to be a lot of red tape. I remember reading one of his threads and I thought to myself, if I was him and lived close enough to Georgia, that is where I would go.

I know very little about Florida hunting but what I can gather from what Weldabeast has posted is that not only are their deer smaller than anywhere else, it seems that Florida has WMA regs that require you to have a PHD and a slide rule to figure out when and where you can hunt and with what on just about any given day and there are quotas you have to apply for. Seems to be a lot of red tape. I remember reading one of his threads and I thought to myself, if I was him and lived close enough to Georgia, that is where I would go.

Yeahh FL is the oddball when it comes to whitetail hunting…among other things lol

Back