• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Places to get 'trial' shafts and arrows

casts_by_fly

Hi All,

I'm into the tinkering part of the year. When I got this bow ~2 years ago I did a full shop setup. I'm not the person to work on my own bow. I've done it before and I'm not good enough. Coming out of the setup I ended up with Gold tip hunter XTs in a 340 spine with 3" AAE plastifletches and 100 gr heads. I shot 100 gr before and gold tips, so no surprises there. I have a bunch of 300/340/400 spined arrows here from various sources and times. The 300's were from my last bow when I was contemplating shooting 200+ grains up front (which are way overspined for me). The other arrows were older ones my dad gave me when he was still hunting (10+ year old Vapor buckhunters and gold tip 55/70's). I started to play with them to see if I wanted to build a light arrow or use the 340's as duplicates of my GTs. However, I don't think its worth my time to build them up. Instead, I'd like to play with some .204" and .166" shafts in a 340/350 spine and a couple fletching options. BUT I don't want to buy new by the half dozen. Is there any place that you can buy them by the three count? I've searched marketplace and ebay for used ones, but no good options.

thanks
rick

Hi All,

I'm into the tinkering part of the year. When I got this bow ~2 years ago I did a full shop setup. I'm not the person to work on my own bow. I've done it before and I'm not good enough. Coming out of the setup I ended up with Gold tip hunter XTs in a 340 spine with 3" AAE plastifletches and 100 gr heads. I shot 100 gr before and gold tips, so no surprises there. I have a bunch of 300/340/400 spined arrows here from various sources and times. The 300's were from my last bow when I was contemplating shooting 200+ grains up front (which are way overspined for me). The other arrows were older ones my dad gave me when he was still hunting (10+ year old Vapor buckhunters and gold tip 55/70's). I started to play with them to see if I wanted to build a light arrow or use the 340's as duplicates of my GTs. However, I don't think its worth my time to build them up. Instead, I'd like to play with some .204" and .166" shafts in a 340/350 spine and a couple fletching options. BUT I don't want to buy new by the half dozen. Is there any place that you can buy them by the three count? I've searched marketplace and ebay for used ones, but no good options.

thanks
rick

You could try calling Lancaster Archery Supply and asking them, or possibly Podium Archery. Other than that, I've seen single shafts sold and 2 of my local archery shops, and I think that might be your best option.

BT

Lancaster always did, now it seems they stopped....but I'd ask

Dumb business move based upon them achieving near monopoly status

We have two local shops (45 minutes away) but they have odd hours and it would be more of a pain to get there than just order some.

A call to Lancaster isa good shout. I thought they used to do any number of shafts last I ordered anything but they don't right now.

Sirius will sell 3 packs of their high end shafts.

They also sell a 4 shaft test kit of all their shafts that includes 2 different spines (ie (2) 250 (2) 300) and different point weights to compare flex/flight/drop

Sirius will sell 3 packs of their high end shafts.

They also sell a 4 shaft test kit of all their shafts that includes 2 different spines (ie (2) 250 (2) 300) and different point weights to compare flex/flight/drop
That test kit is the way to go. I think Grizzly Stik sells test packs like this as well, if you want to try the weight forward shafts.

I already have the field tips. I did a DIY version of the test kit a couple years ago and it was cheaper to buy a dozen field points of 4 different weights (150-225) plus some shafts from LAS than it was to do the kit itself. I guess what I want is to walk into a yard sale and find 3 .204" shafts just lying around for cheap. I'll have to get right on that. ;)

You can buy singles from South Shore Archery. I think the new place Jerry from SSA went to is the same.

I've bought singles from Lancaster, but it was a while ago. You might call them and see if they could accommodate you.

I have heard of people buying blemished arrows. I am not sure what a blemished arrow means, is it just a run in the paint or is something more detrimental than that? I ask because I want to start tinkering with arrows but the cost of new arrows makes it a painful thought. Like shooting a $5 ammo round, yikes!

I have heard of people buying blemished arrows. I am not sure what a blemished arrow means, is it just a run in the paint or is something more detrimental than that? I ask because I want to start tinkering with arrows but the cost of new arrows makes it a painful thought. Like shooting a $5 ammo round, yikes!

I've not heard of blemished arrows but I would imagine it's something that's only cosmetic, or possibly cut too short for a customer and sold pre-cut maybe. It shouldn't be anything that would effect the integrity of the arrow or else that may open them up to liabilities. Damaged arrows can cause some nasty injuries.

Black eagle has some options that are fairly cheap if you want to tinker. And don't quote me but they may sell 3 packs. I feel like I remember that. You could always call them too.

Gold tip hunter XTs are also fairly reasonable for a dozen for bareshafts, and are actually really good arrows. It's what I used to shoot before going down the small diameter rabbit hole and getting hooked on Victory RIP XVs.

BT

I can't believe Lancaster (after decades of doing so) stopped selling individual shafts. They sell so many, all they had to do was keep one pack out of 100s busted open to grab a shaft. Probably some kid in the warehouse couldn't handle the complication.

Also wanted to add, if it's different vanes you want to experiment with, throw on an arrow wrap. Much easier to remove than sitting there trying to peel and scrape all the glue off from the old vanes.

BT

Is Lancaster only dozens now? What a bummer, I've been wanting to try a spine softer but not 12 arrows bad!

Is Lancaster only dozens now? What a bummer, I've been wanting to try a spine softer but not 12 arrows bad!
For the Gold Tips I looked at, yes. Only 12 packs.

PS....if you called, maybe they'd bust a 12 pack open. It's weird because they sell so many shafts that this service can't be hurting them and is a nice gesture that people really like. Maybe they didn't like cutting 1 shaft to length but they could get around that by only selling less than 12 in full length but also an experienced tech can cut to within 1/2" in no time.

Not sure what brand of arrows you want, but 3 rivers has some test kits.

Back