• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hog hunting Help

Hijacking my own thread, when is the deer rut for you southern boys? Isn’t it later in the year?

Hey guys, wanting to do some southern hog hunting this late season. I’m from Ohio. I hate to even ask because I don’t wanna be “that guy” but could use some help. I’m pretty open to mostly any southern state. Curious if anyone could point me in a direction of a state, public land WMA that holds pigs. I’m not asking for your favorite hunting spot, if it’s 100,000 acres and their is a pig on it somewhere I’m good with that. Just would like some general info. Any info would help. I’ll do the leg work just wouldn’t mind like a gentle nudge in the right direction. Feel free to pm me. Thanks a million in advance if anyone wants to help.
The largest hog populations are in Texas and Florida and both have very liberal hunting regs for pigs. If you’re around Fl, Lake George, Cary, Thomas Creek Kings rd unit, and Sante Fe Swamp all have plenty of big pigs running around.

Hijacking my own thread, when is the deer rut for you southern boys? Isn’t it later in the year?
Ours was last week of September, first week of October. Some areas of FL are in late January, others are in July. We have the most diverse ruts of any state that I know of.

Here in Central FL within an hr of Disney in different directions, the rut can be mid- Sept all the way thru mid-Feb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump.

Any updates from anyone? I’m off next week and I’m looking to make some plans for it. Any hog hunting opportunities this late in the year? Any general information is welcome!

Ft. Stewart in GA is open for hogs with modern weapons. Camp ground available too. Not sure where you’re looking to go. Flat and swampy

Ft. Stewart in GA is open for hogs with modern weapons. Camp ground available too. Not sure where you’re looking to go.

Well, I’m from Ohio. I’d be open to anywhere really! Just feeling some adventure

~260k acres for GA out of state license and $80 base hunting permit (online video with test required)

~260k acres for GA out of state license and $80 base hunting permit (online video with test required)

Thanks! Looking into it at the moment actually. That video and test for the fort only or?

Fort Stewart and the WMAs along the Altamaha. You can learn on the details about Fort Stewart on isportsman. They use that app to sign in and out and track your safety briefings. I live about 50 minutes from Stewart. It’s 285,000 acres so plan on burning up some boot leather. You can buy a pretty nice interactive map for $.99 cents on Avenza. Once downloaded you can use it without service. Brush up on you navigation skills because the swamp gets real dark at night.

Bump.

Any updates from anyone? I’m off next week and I’m looking to make some plans for it. Any hog hunting opportunities this late in the year? Any general information is welcome!
Come to Florida in 2 weeks and hunt hogs with us at Flaooza

You sir are awesome! I appreciate the help. I didn’t wanna seem like I was being lazy or whatever. I’ve already heard of Ft Stewart in Georgia. If it’s good enough for the saddle hunting community it’s good enough for me! Thanks again.
Almost any GA or AL WMA has hogs. If you are military or retired, Fts Benning and Stewart have got them.

If you take into consideration the size to number of hogs Louisiana has the cake. Just walk in the woods anywhere here and very likely to kill hogs. North end of Tensas is overrun with them hell you can come sit on my porch and pick ‘em off, Texas has em but huge area to cover. GA and FL these are all the top hog states. But LA specifically bc that’s what I know any WMA along the Mississippi River has all the hogs your heart can desire.

There are probably a lot of them along the MS River on WMAs but they have to be hunted incidentally during other open seasons with weapons and loads legal for that season. Our department of wildlife has a handshake deal with the pigs. They let them roam the WMA's all year and the pigs have to promise not to reproduce during 8 months of the year they can't be hunted. In the hill country around here, they are few and far between. I've really had to seek out pigs to hunt near me. On private land it is different. You can hunt them 24/7/365 but trying to find a landowner who will let you hunt them is nearly impossible. They complain bitterly about them but if you offer to come kill them, they will almost certainly not let you.

That was the one perk to being in that hunting club. They had pigs and I had something to hunt year-round. I would consider getting back in just for the pigs.

If you take into consideration the size to number of hogs Louisiana has the cake. Just walk in the woods anywhere here and very likely to kill hogs. North end of Tensas is overrun with them hell you can come sit on my porch and pick ‘em off, Texas has em but huge area to cover. GA and FL these are all the top hog states. But LA specifically bc that’s what I know any WMA along the Mississippi River has all the hogs your heart can desire.

The eastern 1/3 of Texas is very similar. If you’re east of the Texas dry line (stretches from Wichita Falls down to about Austin) all you need to do is find any river bottom or reservoir floodplain that is open to hunting and you will get on them pretty easy. Back when I used the kayak for access more, it wasn’t uncommon to see pigs 80% of the time I was out.

There are probably a lot of them along the MS River on WMAs but they have to be hunted incidentally during other open seasons with weapons and loads legal for that season. Our department of wildlife has a handshake deal with the pigs. They let them roam the WMA's all year and the pigs have to promise not to reproduce during 8 months of the year they can't be hunted. In the hill country around here, they are few and far between. I've really had to seek out pigs to hunt near me. On private land it is different. You can hunt them 24/7/365 but trying to find a landowner who will let you hunt them is nearly impossible. They complain bitterly about them but if you offer to come kill them, they will almost certainly not let you.

That was the one perk to being in that hunting club. They had pigs and I had something to hunt year-round. I would consider getting back in just for the pigs.
A bunch of our WMA's you cant kill them at all and the ones you can it is only from 11/1 thru 12/31 or during an Oct 4 day permit ML hunt. Game and Fish complain about 'em but restricts when you can shoot 'em even when there are other open seasons. Private here is wide open, year round, day or night. A warden i talked to this fall told me the fine for shooting one outside the Nov/Dec open period on a WMA includes loss of license for a year. Absolute dumbest crap ever. Right up there with or maybe worse than not being able to field quarter a deer and pack it out like some states wont let you.

A bunch of our WMA's you cant kill them at all and the ones you can it is only from 11/1 thru 12/31 or during an Oct 4 day permit ML hunt. Game and Fish complain about 'em but restricts when you can shoot 'em even when there are other open seasons. Private here is wide open, year round, day or night. A warden i talked to this fall told me the fine for shooting one outside the Nov/Dec open period on a WMA includes loss of license for a year. Absolute dumbest crap ever. Right up there with or maybe worse than not being able to field quarter a deer and pack it out like some states wont let you.
Yeah that’s crazy, I’ve always said go ahead and restrict hog hunting all you want, but don’t complain when they take over and destroy everything.

That is just plain stupid. It makes no sense what so ever.

Back