• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Overnight + trips

I also hunt George Washington national forest I've seen a 10 point shot off GW the guy had walked 20 minutes inn. You don't have to go deep to find deer

I prefer to go home either with a deer in my truck by lunch time or go home empty handed and fill a doe tag at home...

Either way I don't get wanting to leave your family for days to hunt whitetail? I hunt mornings or sometimes evenings. It takes me 20-30 minutes to drive to my spot, 30 to be walked in and up in my tree.

But to each their own. Everyone likes to do stuff differently
Some of us just like camping as well? Can't speak for everyone but I'm also solo 50% of the year, so have thought about combining my interests on a weekend where my kids are at my ex's place.

I prefer to go home either with a deer in my truck by lunch time or go home empty handed and fill a doe tag at home...

Either way I don't get wanting to leave your family for days to hunt whitetail? I hunt mornings or sometimes evenings. It takes me 20-30 minutes to drive to my spot, 30 to be walked in and up in my tree.

But to each their own. Everyone likes to do stuff differently

I get it and now that my kids are getting slightly older 12 and 3 - 10 year olds this past season it gets a little easier. My wife and I have been married 14 years this year and have only been away from the kids once in that time as a couple. She’s a stay at home mom doing cyber school with the kids so I encourage her to take “girls” weekend throughout the year to recharge herself. My hunting trips are my chance to recharge and I only get that once a year. I come home a better husband and father as I was able to do something for myself.

Now when I approached the subject of heading west for 2 weeks to chase Elk I got laughed at and immediately shot down. I’ll make that happen at some point but our youngest will be a minimum of 16 by the time I’m able to pull that off.

All the places I hunt are day access only, and dnr visits the parking areas occasionally, so it's not worth it to me to break the rules. Have been thinking about heading to a different part of the state that allows it, but haven't yet
Greenridge State Forest is a lot of fun. Turkey after opening day and archery deer is not too busy and you can camp.

Greenridge State Forest is a lot of fun. Turkey after opening day and archery deer is not too busy and you can camp.
That's where I was thinking. Likely going to do some non-hunting camping there this spring/summer to get a bit of the lay of the land. Helps that there's not really any ranges (without paying more $$ than I want to) out in my part of the state so I drive all the way out there to shoot anyway, might as well bring my tent and stay overnight.

That's where I was thinking. Likely going to do some non-hunting camping there this spring/summer to get a bit of the lay of the land. Helps that there's not really any ranges (without paying more $$ than I want to) out in my part of the state so I drive all the way out there to shoot anyway, might as well bring my tent and stay overnight.
You could always do some deer scouting... with a shotgun and a mouth call during the spring. Theres plenty of birds in there. I found some decent antlers and morels while turkey hunting too. Havent been back in a few years but before kids we would camp every weekend and hunt/scout.

Have you ever shot at hap-baker firearms range? its in westminster. 200yds and a pistol range for $20/day i think

You could always do some deer scouting... with a shotgun and a mouth call during the spring. Theres plenty of birds in there. I found some decent antlers and morels while turkey hunting too. Havent been back in a few years but before kids we would camp every weekend and hunt/scout.

Have you ever shot at hap-baker firearms range? its in westminster. 200yds and a pistol range for $20/day i think
I haven't but thanks for the suggestion, I've heard of it before... I live down inside the DC beltway so... If I'm driving to Westminster for 20 dollars a day, I might as well drive to Green ridge for 20 dollars a year, what's another hour lol.

I haven't but thanks for the suggestion, I've heard of it before... I live down inside the DC beltway so... If I'm driving to Westminster for 20 dollars a day, I might as well drive to Green ridge for 20 dollars a year, what's another hour lol.
ah gotcha. Yea i support greenridge. Savage River State Forest has a pretty fun range too. No RSO's which depending on the rest of shooters is not always a good thing but its usually a blast (tannerite) and honors system for payment. Ranger Rick will def come by and check the drop box though.

Back