• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CGM Preset Kit

Quick video.
The rings are the easy part. It's the rope to line connection for a smooth run through the loops that was tricky.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Oh those rings are quite a bit smaller/more compact than mine. I made mine so I could pull a rope with knot through, same method like ny saddle, and then move the same preset cord behind the knot so when I pull it back through and up that’s already attached. Sacrificed packability for it though.

SRT virgin here. I have to ask the dumb question.
How do you get it 20 feet up?
How are you doing the initial climb to install it?
I want to start doing preset srt but instead of using a throw ball, I thought I'd just climb with sticks to preset the trees in the off season. I hate to carry sticks during the hunt, but for doing presets I can deal with the miserable things.
The one thing I wondered about is what to do when there is no crotch in the right place. These solve that but I wondered how you plan to make the initial climb for installation.

Last edited:
I know JRB put out a ton of SRT content over the past six months, including the videos about his floating anchor, which is a single rappel ring (or similar) on the front of the tree (facing the climber).

@John RB have you experimented with the concept that this CGM system uses - two rings, one on each side of the tree? Seems like it would help a lot with getting that horizontal rope angle around the tree that you always stress as critical for safety if we're going to girth hitch the trunk, while providing some advantages over the single front floating anchor such as less friction when rigging the rope, ability to use a quicklink or rappel ring instead of needing the maverick hitch, and less weight directly on the rings.

Interested in your thoughts as I know you've put a lot of thinking into crotch-less presets, if you'd be willing to share.

SRT virgin here. I have to ask the dumb question.
How do you get it 20 feet up?
How are you doing the initial climb to install it?
I want to start doing preset srt but instead of using a throw ball, I thought I'd just climb with sticks to preset the trees in the off season. I hate to carry sticks during the hunt, but for doing presets I can deal with the miserable things.
The one thing I wondered about is what to do when there is no crotch in the right place. These solve that but I wondered how you plan to make the initial climb for installation.
You can climb with any method, you are familiar with. Seems you‘re not happy with your stick-method. There is this JRB-method, climbing on multiple saddlehunter hitches and a Garda-footloop. A bit fiddely, but you truly climb on hanging ropes.

You can climb with any method, you are familiar with. Seems you‘re not happy with your stick-method. There is this JRB-method, climbing on multiple saddlehunter hitches and a Garda-footloop. A bit fiddely, but you truly climb on hanging ropes.
These rings are used for srt presets correct? The vids demonstrate using it at ground level and also at elevation. My question was how do you get installed at ~20 feet? Throw ball and srt? If so then why do I need the rings? 2tc? Sladder? Sticks? How is the initial climb done?
I've been a bolt/screw in step guy for 40 years but now I'm going to be hunting properties where I can't use those methods. I don't want to pack sticks in and out each hunt so srt seems like a great option. I like the concept of these rings but I wondering how guys intend on installing them. If I need to install by doing the initial climb with sticks, that's still very viable for me. Just had to ask how the inventor plans to get it up the tree?

After watching the video above, should he have attached another line to the carabiner so he could remove the climbing rope after coming back down from the hunt?

These rings are used for srt presets correct? The vids demonstrate using it at ground level and also at elevation. My question was how do you get installed at ~20 feet? Throw ball and srt? If so then why do I need the rings? 2tc? Sladder? Sticks? How is the initial climb done?
I've been a bolt/screw in step guy for 40 years but now I'm going to be hunting properties where I can't use those methods. I don't want to pack sticks in and out each hunt so srt seems like a great option. I like the concept of these rings but I wondering how guys intend on installing them. If I need to install by doing the initial climb with sticks, that's still very viable for me. Just had to ask how the inventor plans to get it up the tree?
Yeah, climb with sticks (or any other method) once, set it and it’s ready when you want to come back and SRT climb.

After watching the video above, should he have attached another line to the carabiner so he could remove the climbing rope after coming back down from the hunt?
That’s what I’ve been doing while practicing, I just hook the preset cord just behind the loop you plan to thread tail end through. Then it’s already there. He suggested putting the pull down on when you’re ready to come down. Only drawback to that is it means you have to climb (all the way) to get your rope back down(which obviously is your intent but what if something changes or you realize you forgot something after getting your rope in place?)

Fwiw I’m a dummy and have been pulling the loop end up first, all the way through and back down, thread the tail end through, then pull tail end to pull it back up. Just occurring to me that his way of sending the tail end through makes more sense, then just move your preset cord from the tail end to the loop end before continuing to pull the loop end up by tail end.

You could easily do that at the end of your hunt before you climb down. Not really any need to attach the pull down cord before you climb as it is just another string to get tangled up as you're climbing.

Yeah, climb with sticks (or any other method) once, set it and it’s ready when you want to come back and SRT climb.
Thanks. That's the assumption that I was making as far as how I would need to do it but I also know that this community is incredibly creative. I just wondered if there was some other approach that I was missing.
Maybe they should have mentioned those basics in the video for us srt rookies.

Some guys one stick up and then leave the ring as a preset for next time. You could do the same with a throwball or even 4 sticks plus aiders. This ring system is for SRT only as it’s not made to support your weight but only hold the rope in place until your girth hitch cinches up. Heck you could 2TC up and leave it.

Some guys one stick up and then leave the ring as a preset for next time. You could do the same with a throwball or even 4 sticks plus aiders. This ring system is for SRT only as it’s not made to support your weight but only hold the rope in place until your girth hitch cinches up. Heck you could 2TC up and leave it.
Yep, I get it. I was just asking in case I missed something.
I'm still amazed at the techniques of girth hitching a rope 30 feet up while standing on the ground. JRB blows my mind with his stuff.

That’s what I’ve been doing while practicing, I just hook the preset cord just behind the loop you plan to thread tail end through. Then it’s already there. He suggested putting the pull down on when you’re ready to come down. Only drawback to that is it means you have to climb (all the way) to get your rope back down(which obviously is your intent but what if something changes or you realize you forgot something after getting your rope in place?)

Fwiw I’m a dummy and have been pulling the loop end up first, all the way through and back down, thread the tail end through, then pull tail end to pull it back up. Just occurring to me that his way of sending the tail end through makes more sense, then just move your preset cord from the tail end to the loop end before continuing to pull the loop end up by tail end.
thank you

If I where hunting, I would have done that before climbing down. The video was just to demonstrate the rings. I do mention that step though.

Actually, they are great for 1 stick presets and 2TC presets as well. Any climbing methods where advancing your tether is a part of the process. For 2TC, you can even run 2 ropes through and avoid going around branches.

Not sure about SRT. Does it need to be tight to the tree to work better? (I have only used DRT) Most of the trees I hunt have a large enough limb not to far above where I hunt from and the rope stays close to the trunk. So @Allegheny Tom you may not need the rings if you have a big enough limb. Seems like the idea is you can carry less rope by having an anchor set lower and a large enough limb is not available. A pull string over a large branch can accomplish a similar thing. If it's in the right spot.

Back