• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone have experience with this saddle?

CP3

It looks like a great early season saddle. Looks sharp.

It looks like a great early season saddle. Looks sharp.

No, but it's being made by Custom Gear Modifications. Their saddles have been well received and Jerry is a member here. You can reach out to him if you have questions. @always89y I think.

Ape Canyon Outfitters (a subsidiary of the Weinel Group) and CGM have teamed up to provide hunters with a wide range of USA made, safe, and widely available saddle hunting products.

Jerry Grose of CGM has years of experience engineering and developing outdoor equipment and has made recognized advancements to the industry. Since the 1980’s, the Weinel Group has specialized in life safety equipment manufacturing. With The Weinel Groups’ history and ability to produce, test, and inspect gear at a high volume and CGM’s extensive knowledge, ingenuity, and customization flexibility, the saddle hunting industry is sure to benefit from this unique approach to equipment development and production.

Collaboration between CGM & ACO means that the bar for saddle hunting safety standards just got higher – and that there will be more affordable and easily obtainable, all-USA-made saddle hunting gear coming soon.

No, but it's being made by Custom Gear Modifications. Their saddles have been well received and Jerry is a member here. You can reach out to him if you have questions. @always89y I think.

Ape Canyon Outfitters (a subsidiary of the Weinel Group) and CGM have teamed up to provide hunters with a wide range of USA made, safe, and widely available saddle hunting products.

Jerry Grose of CGM has years of experience engineering and developing outdoor equipment and has made recognized advancements to the industry. Since the 1980’s, the Weinel Group has specialized in life safety equipment manufacturing. With The Weinel Groups’ history and ability to produce, test, and inspect gear at a high volume and CGM’s extensive knowledge, ingenuity, and customization flexibility, the saddle hunting industry is sure to benefit from this unique approach to equipment development and production.

Collaboration between CGM & ACO means that the bar for saddle hunting safety standards just got higher – and that there will be more affordable and easily obtainable, all-USA-made saddle hunting gear coming soon.
Thanks for the info. I really like the look of them.

Hey guys!
Its actually the same basic design as the Sidewinder with a few differences specific to their saddle. They have a much larger manufacturing capability and are making this saddle in house. Its a great saddle!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ape is being made in Butler PA. I was where they were being made and I was given a tour
at Rock-n- Rescue . Yes they worked with Custom Gear Modification and Jerry.

Last edited:
Anyone use a Pioneer saddle last season and have feedback they'd be willing to share? Interested in longer-term review. Thanks!

Hey guys!
Its actually the same basic design as the Sidewinder with a few differences specific to their saddle. They have a much larger manufacturing capability and are making this saddle in house. Its a great saddle!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

with the non-cobra buckle version where you insert the metal piece at a 45, can it disengage if the straps are not tight?

i ask because i like rated leg loops, but i often don't tighten them up because that can get binding in certain clothes....on my cobra buckled leg loops i leave some slack.....i worried more about the waist belt being above the hip bones and tight as i consider that the primary safety piece

with the non-cobra buckle version where you insert the metal piece at a 45, can it disengage if the straps are not tight?

i ask because i like rated leg loops, but i often don't tighten them up because that can get binding in certain clothes....on my cobra buckled leg loops i leave some slack.....i worried more about the waist belt being above the hip bones and tight as i consider that the primary safety piece
I dont see how they would come out. The buckle would have to stand up on end and rotate 45 degrees and be perfectly lined up with the other buckle for it to come apart. Anything is possible but I don't think it's likely. I was more worried about the buckles hitting each other and making noise

I dont see how they would come out. The buckle would have to stand up on end and rotate 45 degrees and be perfectly lined up with the other buckle for it to come apart. Anything is possible but I don't think it's likely. I was more worried about the buckles hitting each other and making noise
Exactly. I got the Pioneer towards the end of the season (Black Friday deal) so I haven’t hunted out of it. But it’s very unlikely that it would be able to come apart. If you’re okay with stepping through you can zip tie them together to reduce noise.

Exactly. I got the Pioneer towards the end of the season (Black Friday deal) so I haven’t hunted out of it. But it’s very unlikely that it would be able to come apart. If you’re okay with stepping through you can zip tie them together to reduce noise.
I bought mine on the black friday sale as well. Used it a couple times towards the end of the season and I didn't notice any noise from the buckles. I thought about stealth stripping one side to reduce noise as I don't like stepping into the leg loops

I bought mine on the black friday sale as well. Used it a couple times towards the end of the season and I didn't notice any noise from the buckles. I thought about stealth stripping one side to reduce noise as I don't like stepping into the leg loops
This would make sence if you had to step through leg loops all day during à hunt but you only need to do it once before you hunt.comfort and saftey during the all day hunt should be priority over things done for a second before or after the hunt.but hey.some peeps prioritise rappelling wjen the hunt is over..i refuse to shoot deer. just because i will fore sure miss without a cobra buckle.and i cant cut my tag on a legstrap.i would rather eat tag soup.

Last edited:
Back