• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

5 must own guns

Yeah, if he already had a Swede, then I understand. But a lot of the argument against the CM is "why buy that when there is the Swede?"

Well, if you have no 6.5 mm cartridges, then the existence of another alternative doesn't to me make the new one wrong or something. That would be like "why consider buying a Camry when the Accord exists?"
It's not wrong, just the Accord will get you the same place that the Camry will. It's mistaking the Camry for a Porche. The Creedmore is a good cartridge (among many in that general power category) but there is nothing magical about it, that's all. If somebody wants one, that's cool.

I don't own one, no real reason for me to at the moment, but one possible counterpoint to the 6.5 creed hate- cartridge availability. It seems like no matter what store i go into (even in a straight wall part of my state where you can't really hunt anywhere around here with one) I can find it, but don't remember seeing ones like the 6.5 swede for example. (Of course this logic somewhat falls apart when comparing to things like 30-06).

One could argue it's a chicken/egg thing, where all the recent press etc made the gun more popular which made the shelves stocked this way... But the fact remains that as a hunting rifle, you could likely walk into a store almost anywhere if you happened to leave your rounds behind or something, and find some ammo to shoot. Doesn't make it "better" performance wise than the ones you can't find, but does make it a "better" choice (at the moment) from that perspective of wanting to hunt today.

I don't own one, no real reason for me to at the moment, but one possible counterpoint to the 6.5 creed hate- cartridge availability. It seems like no matter what store i go into (even in a straight wall part of my state where you can't really hunt anywhere around here with one) I can find it, but don't remember seeing ones like the 6.5 swede for example. (Of course this logic somewhat falls apart when comparing to things like 30-06).

One could argue it's a chicken/egg thing, where all the recent press etc made the gun more popular which made the shelves stocked this way... But the fact remains that as a hunting rifle, you could likely walk into a store almost anywhere if you happened to leave your rounds behind or something, and find some ammo to shoot. Doesn't make it "better" performance wise than the ones you can't find, but does make it a "better" choice (at the moment) from that perspective of wanting to hunt today.
Yeah, if there is a current glut of ammo for it that certainly makes a case for it. Most folks who choose the 6.5 Swede and the 257 Roberts or 7x57 Mauser, 260 etc. reload and have stocked up on those cartridges and components for reloading. Will it be available in that quantity 5 or 10 years down the line? Don't know, but if I did buy one, I would commit to purchasing enough cartridges to last a lifetime or at the least reloading dies, powder, components to last the same amount of time.

It's not wrong, just the Accord will get you the same place that the Camry will. It's mistaking the Camry for a Porche. The Creedmore is a good cartridge (among many in that general power category) but there is nothing magical about it, that's all. If somebody wants one, that's cool.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think it is sound when you use the existence of the Accord to dissuade someone from buying the Camry (arguing they are equivalent), when the person being advised currently owns neither the Accord nor the Camry. You should compare the relative merits of each at that point.

Last edited:
I think some of the "hate" stems from the fact that a lot of people who are starting out are purchasing this caliber (nice choice) and extolling its "paper" virtues. The gen pop of current shooters at time of introduction may have had calibers that negated the purchase of this specific caliber, and therefore didn't buy one... LOL

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think it is sound when you use the existence of the Accord to dissuade someone from buying the Camry (arguing they are equivalent), when the person being advised currently owns neither the Accord nor the Camry. You should compare the relative merits of each at that point.
I'm not trying to dissuade or persuade one way or the other. In this analogy, the 6.5 CM is just another mid size economy model among many. It does not do the intended purpose significantly differently than its competition. Will a deer shot with a 6.5 CM realize it was shot with the newest and shiniest rather than a 6.5 Swede or a 260 or whatever? I doubt it. If you look back far enough, people have been wildcatting cartridges from the beginning. Every once and a while one takes off and gets adopted by manufactures and becomes standardized. It becomes all the rage for a while and then either survives or sinks into obscurity. Then the process repeats itself.

If you are just starting out getting a 6.5 CM would be a decent choice IF you buy up enough ammo and/or components to feed it as long as you plan to own it. If you already have something in that category, there really isn't a need but if you just want one, that's cool too.

One thing all the 6.5's have going for them is a good selection of high section density bullets. A 160 grain 6.5 has great sectional density. To get near it in 30 caliber you need to have a bullet of 220 grains or heavier. High sectional density really helps with retaining downrange energy and helps penetration.

The great elephant hunter WDM Bell killed many of his 1011 elephant with a 6.5 loaded with 160 grain round nose cupronickel solids taking brain shots.

One thing all the 6.5's have going for them is a good selection of high section density bullets. A 160 grain 6.5 has great sectional density. To get near it in 30 caliber you need to have a bullet of 220 grains or heavier. High sectional density really helps with retaining downrange energy and helps penetration.

The great elephant hunter WDM Bell killed many of his 1011 elephant with a 6.5 loaded with 160 grain round nose cupronickel solids taking brain shots.
Yes, case to point. Both the 6.5 and 7mm calibers have excellent ballistic coefficients and sectional densities throughout the bullet selection.

I think some of the "hate" stems from the fact that a lot of people who are starting out are purchasing this caliber (nice choice) and extolling its "paper" virtues. The gen pop of current shooters at time of introduction may have had calibers that negated the purchase of this specific caliber, and therefore didn't buy one... LOL

Thanks, this is exactly my point.

A side point, but since it took off so well, the CM now has an advantage which is that the ammo is the most common among the 6.5s.

Thanks, this is exactly my point.

A side point, but since it took off so well, the CM now has an advantage which is that the ammo is the most common among the 6.5s.
This is true. If you get one, buy lots of ammo. Come to think of it, that is true for any gun you have. You can never have too much ammo. Once the ammo is gone you just have a fancy club.

Most of the cartridges that Hornady has had a part in during the development and/or marketting stages, have stuck fairly well... Just sayin'.

Most of the cartridges that Hornady has had a part in during the development and/or marketting stages, have stuck fairly well... Just sayin'.

And some of their premium ammo is the most accurate I've shot for the money.

I've shot 1/4 MOA with Hornady ammo that was $2 a round.

I'm not super knowledgeable, but I don't see a lot to dislike there.

I own the 5 I would suggest:
1: Rem 870 20ga (any 870)
2: Henry 22LR (any 22lr will do)
3: Rem 700SPS tact 270. (Any Rem 700)
4: AR15 5.56
5: AK47

I’ve argued far and wide the 2 most universally available rounds by far is the 22LR and the 7.62x39 (AK) I can go almost anywhere in the world and aquire these rounds easily. I’ve also argued there’s no round world wide that has killed more things than 22LR. Shotguns are for birds, bows for quadrupeds, 22 for varmits and rifle are for SHTF.

I own the 5 I would suggest:
1: Rem 870 20ga (any 870)
2: Henry 22LR (any 22lr will do)
3: Rem 700SPS tact 270. (Any Rem 700)
4: AR15 5.56
5: AK47

I’ve argued far and wide the 2 most universally available rounds by far is the 22LR and the 7.62x39 (AK) I can go almost anywhere in the world and aquire these rounds easily. I’ve also argued there’s no round world wide that has killed more things than 22LR. Shotguns are for birds, bows for quadrupeds, 22 for varmits and rifle are for SHTF.
dont disagree with your list - original article was "for hunters" though, not for "all around firearms use" which is why i'm guessing the AR and AK types were left off their list.

Back