• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Super Munter to Descend?

Archerichards

SH Member
Wondering if any of you are using the Super Munter knot on your standard locking carabiner for descending? If so, any problems with it? I am trying to reduce the hardware I am taking up the tree and considering giving up my Figure Eight.

Advice?

Same as above, just use a regular munter to come down. It will put a little twist in the rope but I'm not dealing with a 100' of rope so it's not a big deal to me.

The friction delivered by the Munter varies based on the rope and its stiffness and sheath. And we need more if we weigh more. Super is usually too much for me. The right combination for you might be the "in-between" variation that I use. All 3 are shown here in my Munter video.

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

John, I can look at a lean fellow like you and know I need more Munter than you do LOL!

Thanks though. Will review your video. Once again, you are a helpful authority for all the rest of us.
I appreciate that. I started building my own saddles and systems on my own a decade b4 I heard of "saddle hunting" and had NO IDEA anyone would be interested in it. It feels good to share and hopefully prevent some accidents or injuries along the way.

Do u already have ur ropes and hitch ropes? My advice would be to start trying different hitches and figure out which 1 u gonna use as ur backup above the munter.....there's a bunch of them and different ropes seem to like some more than others.......and id advise u pick 1 that is easy to tie and easy to remember how to tie and practice tying it fairly regular. Take a pic of a completed knot with ur phone..something u can reference back too for when u are having brain farts in the hunting woods...

Do u already have ur ropes and hitch ropes? My advice would be to start trying different hitches and figure out which 1 u gonna use as ur backup above the munter.....there's a bunch of them and different ropes seem to like some more than others.......and id advise u pick 1 that is easy to tie and easy to remember how to tie and practice tying it fairly regular. Take a pic of a completed knot with ur phone..something u can reference back too for when u are having brain farts in the hunting woods...
Brain Farts, at my age we call them Senior Moments! :)

This past season...first climb on the first hunt. Was hanging there for maybe 30 minutes and notice some creep in my tether hitch. I put my linesman around the tree and inspect what is the deal......ooops.. I tied it incorrectly. So I untie and for the life of me I can't remember the correct leg of the hitch to add a twist to. I was getting kinda frustrated with myself how I could be so stupid how to forget. Then I looked at the pic on my phone and remembered I instantly... What an idiot hahahaha

True story

Senior moments? You bet!

Yes, I have my ropes and hitch ropes. I simply use an 11mm climbing rope to descend. For backup, I put a prusik in above the munter; I monitor the tail of the Munter with my right hand and tend the Prusik with my left, pulling it down as I descend. I believe in backups!

I got this from an arborist who is pretty fond of the Munter... and I doubt he could forget it!
52bed4cfa173907bf5d50f263ba72bf1.jpg

Same as above, just use a regular munter to come down. It will put a little twist in the rope but I'm not dealing with a 100' of rope so it's not a big deal to me.
I seen a video and show the munter gives a lot of twist but a super munter doesn't

I got this from an arborist who is pretty fond of the Munter... and I doubt he could forget it!
52bed4cfa173907bf5d50f263ba72bf1.jpg

so if using a munter I know it puts a twist to the rope . does it effect the integrity of the rope within time ? or is that just you have to just work the twist off when your done?

so if using a munter I know it puts a twist to the rope . does it effect the integrity of the rope within time ? or is that just you have to just work the twist off when your done?
The Munter doesn't put a spin in the rope if it is fed in properly. See my video for details. Does it affect the integrity of the rope? About 15 years ago, I had the same question. Cuz, I read somewhere that the Munter is rough on the rope. But 4 yrs later, I was still rappelling on the same rope and it looked brand new. And so, my conclusion was simply that whoever said it's rough on the rope must be a rappel device salesperson.

The Munter doesn't put a spin in the rope if it is fed in properly. See my video for details. Does it affect the integrity of the rope? About 15 years ago, I had the same question. Cuz, I read somewhere that the Munter is rough on the rope. But 4 yrs later, I was still rappelling on the same rope and it looked brand new. And so, my conclusion was simply that whoever said it's rough on the rope must be a rappel device salesperson.

ok now I see why it twists he is using the breaking with the rope down then. here is the video I seen. so it doesn't twist if you have the brake end up?

ok now I see why it twists he is using the breaking with the rope down then. here is the video I seen. so it doesn't twist if you have the brake end up?
Super Munter has less twist than the standard Munter. My "in-between" variation also has less than the standard. But in all cases, we can control the spin via the direction we feed the rope in. Go slow and feel it. I feed from up and away. I rappel using all three and I can control the spin. Furthermore, feeding from below as he demonstrated with the super puts the rope in contact with the gate. That's a huge hazard. The passing rope can open a gate, even a triple action. I saw a demo of it.

I seen a video and show the munter gives a lot of twist but a super munter doesn't
On 75-100 feet of rope it prolly puts enough twist in to be a little bit of a pain but on 35 feet it is a non-issue for me. The method in the vid @John RB linked above fixes the little bit of twist if it is a problem or concern for you.

Back