• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Gear thread

I have it at 8lb 11.1oz bare. It is advertised at 8lb 9.6oz. Not too bad I guess. Cam strap and seat add a pound.

The cables are really narrow in the back, makes it hard to stand with your back to the tree.

Took me a few tries to get it tight to the tree. Until I got it there, the platform felt really spongy. Much better once the bracket dug into the bark. Got to pull down hard when hanging before bringing the platform over. I don’t think toe camming is a good idea with this one.

IMG_7172.jpeg

Yeah I don't even know what stand that is but that is major cable pinch no bueno for us hybrid experts. I know the .5 are wider, they must have a spacer or something. I'll have to go look.

I have it at 8lb 11.1oz bare. It is advertised at 8lb 9.6oz. Not too bad I guess. Cam strap and seat add a pound.

The cables are really narrow in the back, makes it hard to stand with your back to the tree.

Took me a few tries to get it tight to the tree. Until I got it there, the platform felt really spongy. Much better once the bracket dug into the bark. Got to pull down hard when hanging before bringing the platform over. I don’t think toe camming is a good idea with this one.

View attachment 100591

I didn’t have a problem at all.

Yeah I don't even know what stand that is but that is major cable pinch no bueno for us hybrid experts. I know the .5 are wider, they must have a spacer or something. I'll have to go look.

This stand is 20” wide…lol. No “cable pinch”

What stand is it? The fit and finish look nice.

Your feet camp out near the post a lot properly rocking the hybrid. That's valuable real estate.

The Z8 cables are 2.25” higher on the post than the .5, which changes where they contact your legs.

And the seat post is too tall to use the seat as a knee rest.

The Z8 is more of a traditional stand I’d say.

I do like the way the seat folds up on the Z8 probably better than the frame lock of the .5, since I’m mostly using a frame pack. But the LWCG frame lock offers good support for a bag when I don’t.

The Z8 is lighter than my M7 with bracket, but it’s pretty close and I think the M7 is far more comfortable.

A Z7 of .5 size would be nice for us who saddlehunt. Hint hint Gabe.

Last edited:
I didn’t have a problem at all.

I don’t think it’s going to be a problem, necessarily. Just sharing what I learned about the stand…chiefly that toe camming probably is a bad idea and so it helps to pull down hard on the stand before folding the platform down to get a good set, otherwise it could feel a bit like a trampoline underfoot.

I took a nice video of the bracket pulling away from the tree and the post wiggling, lol. The bottom was set so firmly I couldn’t toe cam the platform. Like I said, it was when I hung it initially. Maybe it was just that spot on the tree. Idk. I had better results after.

IMG_7184.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice size to weight ratio, esp at the price.

The Z8 is 2” longer than the M7, but has probably 2” of platform behind the post not including the V. I’ll have to measure that.

Weight of the stand is the basically the same, an M7 modded for a cam strap will probably come in under. They cost about the same too, but the Z8 is about to cost $100 more.IMG_7185.jpegIMG_7186.jpeg

Back