• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Gear thread

The finish of the Z8 has to be far far better than the Cold World. But I think a smaller version of the Z8 could really be something, designed specifically as a hybrid stand.

As is, the integrated Nested system is really smart. And there are good concepts with the stand. But I don’t see it as a run away winner at even $200 over the M7s I’ve bought for as low as $160s. It has some upside for sure, but the M7 wins for comfort hands down for me, as a stand.

I‘ve found the Nested process to be exemplary. Free shipping, great communication. They advertise a fantastic warranty and returns process. They have a great design approach. They include extras.

XOP has some new stands coming out. The Rubicon is listed at 10lbs with cushion (but has a mesh seat). It’s reportedly 27”x19” and has a 15”x9” seat, lol. $229. Wonder how the fit and finish will compare. Made in the same state as the Z8, competitors.
What sticks are you pairing with the M7? How does it stack up to the Z8 as a system?

@enkriss Definitely a bit intrigued.

I realize the clips are essential for stacking, although not ideal in terms of hand placement when climbing, but maybe you just grab one of rails instead. If the clip were moveable you simply move the clip on one step to inside the pocket of the standoff and diagonally to the standoff pocket of the other step, or have clips in pairs inside both step stand off pockets. Don't know how something like this is missed in the design process.

I believe you may have sold your .75 but @Plebe may still have one unless it's a .5 Curious whether when packed in similar arrangement as shown with my One's if they would straddle the seat post and mate with the stand without the stand offs protruding through the platform holes. It's going to be tough to find anything to match what is to me the ideal set up. I know the profile would be taller, but if they did I may have to try a set.

Appreciate your or his efforts to demonstrate
What size straps (length) do you have holding the one sticks to the LWCG stand? Those are the sea to summit straps correct?

Yes S2S straps. I forget what length. I bought them a little longer in case I'm using 5 sticks. Will work the same on .5 with the long seat post. Stands with standard length post the standoffs overlap the top of stand if in pack shelf config. Putting sticks closer to your head/neck.

@enkriss Definitely a bit intrigued.

I realize the clips are essential for stacking, although not ideal in terms of hand placement when climbing, but maybe you just grab one of rails instead. If the clip were moveable you simply move the clip on one step to inside the pocket of the standoff and diagonally to the standoff pocket of the other step, or have clips in pairs inside both step stand off pockets. Don't know how something like this is missed in the design process.

I believe you may have sold your .75 but @Plebe may still have one unless it's a .5 Curious whether when packed in similar arrangement as shown with my One's if they would straddle the seat post and mate with the stand without the stand offs protruding through the platform holes. It's going to be tough to find anything to match what is to me the ideal set up. I know the profile would be taller, but if they did I may have to try a set.

Appreciate your or his efforts to demonstrate.
We are definitely on the same page ideal setup. I’m not sure I can improve much.

Attachments

• IMG_4920.jpeg
    IMG_4920.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 84
What sticks are you pairing with the M7? How does it stack up to the Z8 as a system?

Nested has marketed a complete and fully integrated system. I love, love that they went there with the Z8.

The M7 is just a stand to me. Millennium does offer a stick caddy, but it’s egregiously heavy. I know a guy who sells a little thing called Talons though. lol.

But I use a frame pack, that’s really my system. Sticks aren’t a problem. I’ve a bunch of models and have different configuration preferences depending. I have other climbing systems too so don’t always need sticks.

However the .5 and compact sticks have been my go to.

The Z8 does a lot of things better than the M7 as a stand. It has platform leveling, it hangs well offset, the seat folds backwards not forwards like the M7 which necessitates a locking bolt. As well, it doesn’t require a heavy receiver, although that system has advantages too.

Where the M7 outclasses the Z8 is comfort. Don’t get me wrong, Nested includes a seat pad as good or better than any I’ve used. It’s just this type of seat basically sucks imo. Whereas I can actually sit comfortably on a Millennium style seat.

Last edited:
It’s smaller than a .5 but heavier.
Yep 14” vs 16.5” is the deciding factor for me. 14” matches the windwalker, which I considered the best packing stand ever made. If the retro’s seat would fold back onto the post it would take that status, but nothing is prefect.

Finally got a chance to try one of the lite rails on a tree in the yard this morning. It was super solid on the tree. I’ve had a lot of other sticks have stayed stuck on the tree after I removed the strap but the rail felt like it was glued on.

If I had one concern about the nested stand. It’s the lack of platform material by the post. Other than that I think they hit a home run.

The sticks/rails are surprisingly solid on the tree. The stacking clips are a bit of a pain in the ass. Just very tight. Maybe they will wear in or can be filed.

I also like the pack… harness is a a little over the top.

The platform is 22.25” forward of the post

The standing surface is 19.5” at its widest and 27.25” to the tip of the V.

So, if you're measuring from the face of the nested seat post that is the exact same length as the .75. Which is what I was trying to determine.

Surprised that in an earlier post you said that the platform felt short. Because as your feet were shown would be about how mine were when seated on a .5 LWCG. Which was one of the things I didn't like about it.

The Nested platform looks like the tree teeth side or back end of the platform would position your back further away from the tree when seated than a .5 or .75 LWCG ((because there's a little more length) giving you even more leg room.

If I had one concern about the nested stand. It’s the lack of platform material by the post. Other than that I think they hit a home run.

The sticks/rails are surprisingly solid on the tree. The stacking clips are a bit of a pain in the ass. Just very tight. Maybe they will wear in or can be filed.

I also like the pack… harness is a a little over the top.

I didn't quote your post, so you may have missed mine on P.68 but are the clips relocateable to the standoff pocket location like I described if the traction nubs were filed off or would the standoff pocket openings not be wide enough to fit the clips?

I didn't quote your post, so you may have missed mine on P.68 but are the clips relocateable to the standoff pocket location like I described if the traction nubs were filed off or would the standoff pocket openings not be wide enough to fit the clips?

There is a tab cast in the clip clips to so I don’t think you can relocate them

Perhaps a good dimension would be this one. Edge of bracket to edge of seat. The nested looks to have a longer bracket pushing the seat further out. That’s a large seat on a 1.0

IMG_6329.jpegIMG_6328.jpegIMG_6327.jpeg

I put the stick on this tree. It’s the thinnest tree I would ever dream of hunting from. It locked in pretty good.

View attachment 100604View attachment 100605
Whats the measured distance from the outer tips of the standoff to each other and between the inner tooth of the standoffs?
Also the true depth of the outer tip of the standoff to the front of the step?
Please and thank you!

Whats the measured distance from the outer tips of the standoff to each other and between the inner tooth of the standoffs?
Also the true depth of the outer tip of the standoff to the front of the step?
Please and thank you!

Only if you tell me why….lol

Perhaps a good dimension would be this one. Edge of bracket to edge of seat. The nested looks to have a longer bracket pushing the seat further out. That’s a large seat on a 1.0

View attachment 100646View attachment 100647View attachment 100648

On the bright side, it’s probably more comfortable to have the seat a bit further from the tree like the Z8. And the lost platform real estate behind the Z8 post serves a design purpose, to produce the cam over effect which seems to be a great feature.

Like I said, I found it hard to stand back against the tree and the stand felt shorter than the stated dimensions. Probably that’s an effect of those design choices.

Last edited:
Back