• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 fishing thread

The bluegills in the pond next to the house can't refuse a pink squirminator. But they max out at about 3 1/2". I could thin them out and let them get bigger, but they do a fantastic job eating all the mosquito larvae.

1710547297640.png

Got the kiddos out to a new creek for a little trout fishing. We found a huge group of them in a deep hole but couldn't get them to bite on a large variety of presentations. Better luck next time.

View attachment 100939

View attachment 100940
Speaking of the kiddos: any of you have recommendations for good kids tackle boxes/bags? My kids each have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Wormgear-Tackle-Box-88/dp/B007P12VT0 I hate them with every fiber of my being. If it ever is sideways, or flipped over, or tossed across the truck, all its contents are a jumbled mess. They're kids and just carrying it around normally ends up with all the lures in one compartment lol. I want something where the lid is tight to the compartments so everything is sealed in to each individual compartment but it's still easy for them to transport. I can't decide if something like this would be an upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-2-Tray...eywords=kids+tackle+box&qid=1710786493&sr=8-9 where the trays at least trap in the contents below them. Or if I should just get them a 3600 and throw it in a backpack and call it a day. I like that they like their fun colored boxes but we end up just not bringing them because I know they're going to be a disaster after the day. Maybe this would be a good option: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bas...qsjcUeiVOdOvONHDKohoCTnMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Speaking of the kiddos: any of you have recommendations for good kids tackle boxes/bags? My kids each have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Wormgear-Tackle-Box-88/dp/B007P12VT0 I hate them with every fiber of my being. If it ever is sideways, or flipped over, or tossed across the truck, all its contents are a jumbled mess. They're kids and just carrying it around normally ends up with all the lures in one compartment lol. I want something where the lid is tight to the compartments so everything is sealed in to each individual compartment but it's still easy for them to transport. I can't decide if something like this would be an upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-2-Tray...eywords=kids+tackle+box&qid=1710786493&sr=8-9 where the trays at least trap in the contents below them. Or if I should just get them a 3600 and throw it in a backpack and call it a day. I like that they like their fun colored boxes but we end up just not bringing them because I know they're going to be a disaster after the day. Maybe this would be a good option: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bas...qsjcUeiVOdOvONHDKohoCTnMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
My vote would be 1 tackle box that you carry for all of the reasons mentioned until they're old enough that they're tying their own stuff and it's their problem if it's jumbled. Keep your in-field box small, like small enough to stuff in a cargo pocket small. Resupply from a big box at the house. Less is more with tackle, especially with multiple kids.

"Hey little buddy, you wanna fish a slip cork, or a slip cork? Slip cork? Great choice, pal!"

Speaking of the kiddos: any of you have recommendations for good kids tackle boxes/bags? My kids each have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Wormgear-Tackle-Box-88/dp/B007P12VT0 I hate them with every fiber of my being. If it ever is sideways, or flipped over, or tossed across the truck, all its contents are a jumbled mess. They're kids and just carrying it around normally ends up with all the lures in one compartment lol. I want something where the lid is tight to the compartments so everything is sealed in to each individual compartment but it's still easy for them to transport. I can't decide if something like this would be an upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-2-Tray...eywords=kids+tackle+box&qid=1710786493&sr=8-9 where the trays at least trap in the contents below them. Or if I should just get them a 3600 and throw it in a backpack and call it a day. I like that they like their fun colored boxes but we end up just not bringing them because I know they're going to be a disaster after the day. Maybe this would be a good option: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-tackle-backpack-3600-for-kids?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS|Shopping|PMax|Proprietary|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwzN-vBhAkEiwAYiO7oL-YS1MwkJeNaIl9_wogORxErlGoX8RepF_qsjcUeiVOdOvONHDKohoCTnMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ll disagree with @Nutterbuster a little on this one. Half the fun for all three of my kids when they were young were trying new lures. Especially, if the fishing was slow, it wouldn’t take long until they wanted to try the top water lure, then the spinner bait, then…. You get the picture. It not only kept them interested but exposed them to different types of lures and how to use them. They also took pride in having their own stuff.

I’d vote for a couple of Plano trays that they could put in their own backpack. Even an old school backpack would work, it wouldn’t have to be made specifically for the trays.

I’ll disagree with @Nutterbuster a little on this one. Half the fun for all three of my kids when they were young were trying new lures. Especially, if the fishing was slow, it wouldn’t take long until they wanted to try the top water lure, then the spinner bait, then…. You get the picture. It not only kept them interested but exposed them to different types of lures and how to use them. They also took pride in having their own stuff.

I’d vote for a couple of Plano trays that they could put in their own backpack. Even an old school backpack would work, it wouldn’t have to be made specifically for the trays.
Not really a disagreement. :) If they can tie their own lures, I'd say it's their problem if their stuff is a mess. I'm operating under the assumption that isn't the case.

Speaking of the kiddos: any of you have recommendations for good kids tackle boxes/bags? My kids each have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Wormgear-Tackle-Box-88/dp/B007P12VT0 I hate them with every fiber of my being. If it ever is sideways, or flipped over, or tossed across the truck, all its contents are a jumbled mess. They're kids and just carrying it around normally ends up with all the lures in one compartment lol. I want something where the lid is tight to the compartments so everything is sealed in to each individual compartment but it's still easy for them to transport. I can't decide if something like this would be an upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-2-Tray...eywords=kids+tackle+box&qid=1710786493&sr=8-9 where the trays at least trap in the contents below them. Or if I should just get them a 3600 and throw it in a backpack and call it a day. I like that they like their fun colored boxes but we end up just not bringing them because I know they're going to be a disaster after the day. Maybe this would be a good option: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-tackle-backpack-3600-for-kids?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS|Shopping|PMax|Proprietary|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwzN-vBhAkEiwAYiO7oL-YS1MwkJeNaIl9_wogORxErlGoX8RepF_qsjcUeiVOdOvONHDKohoCTnMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double...65-9475-56d6dc5d6c84&pd_rd_i=B000E39T46&psc=1

My boys each have one of these. they're nice and small and keep lures separate; and they mostly like trying different small crankbait lures and beetle spins, joe's flies, rooster tales so that's mostly what they carry. If bait fishing, I'll work out of my bigger box as it's cleaner and more organized with the small weights and hooks, line. I'll do all the rigging, dehooking of fish, and untangling, and putting new worms/etc on. I have a better time if I resist the urge to try and fish at the same time (I stopped even bringing a rod) and just focus on them

Not really a disagreement. :) If they can tie their own lures, I'd say it's their problem if their stuff is a mess. I'm operating under the assumption that isn't the case.

Oh, there’s definitely a period of “Dad, tie on the spinnerbait please!” But yeah, getting them to the point of tying their own is the goal.

This is kinda how I fish with my wife, I'm pretty sure she doesn't care if she catches anything and just wants to hang out by the river or on the boat and throw stuff in the water. :laughing:

I usually just tie on a topwater for river smallmouth for her so it's less likely to catch a snag.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double...65-9475-56d6dc5d6c84&pd_rd_i=B000E39T46&psc=1

My boys each have one of these. they're nice and small and keep lures separate; and they mostly like trying different small crankbait lures and beetle spins, joe's flies, rooster tales so that's mostly what they carry. If bait fishing, I'll work out of my bigger box as it's cleaner and more organized with the small weights and hooks, line. I'll do all the rigging, dehooking of fish, and untangling, and putting new worms/etc on. I have a better time if I resist the urge to try and fish at the same time (I stopped even bringing a rod) and just focus on them
Dude. I'm not sure if it's this exact one or not but I think I have one of these. It's so old that I didn't even bother searching for it online because I just assumed they didn't make it anymore. I love it and it's what we use to hold our trout tackle. It's what I had in mind when I started searching and is small enough that they can easily carry it around on their own. Might be the ticket, thank you!

I keep coming back to the trays/backpack idea because you can use the same pack to store snacks/wipes/water bottle/whatever other odds and ends they always end up with. Although Nimble's link above could be put in a backpack too. Nutter, we're not at the stage of them being able to tie their own stuff yet, you're right about that, but half the fun they have with fishing is being able to bring their own stuff and pick out what lure they're going to catch that big ol 3" bluegill on haha.

View attachment 101080
Anyone on here have one of these? I’m considering one for a retirement gift to myself. I’d use it fishing rivers and small lakes
Don't own one, but they're really popular down here and I've fished out of a couple. They're cool if you're sure you just want a one man, skinny water, pretty day boat. If you want a two man, big water, rough day boat...it ain't it.

567c62cb5a27f19b755f4e30a77861d4.jpg

Saturday was not ideal conditions, 43 and north wind 15-25 but we managed to scratch out enough to get the grease hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're getting me fired up! Thursday my brothers and I are heading out to nab a few crappie (they aren't on the banks yet, but should be close), then next Thursday through Sunday I'll be down at Broken Bow Lake (OK) for a tournament. Two days pre-fishing, and two days for the tournament.

Don't want to burn myself out on bass, so I'm taking some time off on the practice days to nab a football shaped trout on the lower Mountain Fork River. I have some newly tied zebra midges just dying to hook up!

These are from a few years back.
1711404716939.jpeg
1711404762708.jpeg

I usually am bass fishing, throwing multiple lures from multiple rods, or crappie fishing, but this weekend the wife and I decided to go fish for our 5 year anniversary. Picked up some minnows and just sat on the dock with a minnow under a bobber. Well, she used a bobber, and I fished off the bottom.

Not many bites, but I finally got a big hit and set the hook and got this guy up to the dock. Saw the flash under the water and was hoping for a big stripe, as they get pretty large around here, but nope, a dern drum. Put up a good fight though.

1000003194.jpg

BT

Does anyone have a book or videos they recommend for a complete beginner who knows nothing about fishing? I’m surrounded by some of the best fishing in the country and wanna learn but have no IRL people I know who fish. and as stupid as it sounds I seriously don't know anything.... I keep reading abut jigs and cork vs. bobber and I'm confused lol

Last edited:
Does anyone have a book or videos they recommend for a complete beginner who knows nothing about fishing? I’m surrounded by some of the best fishing in the country and wanna learn but have no IRL people I know who fish. and as stupid as it sounds I seriously don't know anything.... I keep reading abut jigs and cork vs. bobber and I'm confused lol
What kinda fish you wantin to catch?

Back