• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2tc vs one sticking

Agrea...this asumes you are hitting the brush in the dark of morning and leaving in the dark of evening when its harder to see obsticles that will hang up your gear.. plus going far.may even jump an animal on the way in then just wait on the ground for a shot at light , then make the harvest without even useing your tree gear...even more reasons for ultra light, ultra compact ,and ultra quiet gear meaning you can pack more creature comforts and more cool ultralight gadgets as a gear junkie.its a garontee that if every product you could posibly use for a hunt was lighter and worked just as well down to the boots ,packs and layering system,even camera gear and the camera its self saddle hunters will want it and spend money on it even if they have sufficiant heavyer gear allready....like changing the strap out on a stick for amsteal.ha ha ha haaahhh...with 2tc the guys who like bigger heavyer platforms wont have other heavy stuff to clang it on and half the weight and if they dont mind the weight or bulk and possible click or clang then a climbing stand or any other stand makes just as much sence even without a two system saddle hybrid..2 things can be true at the same time.i agea with you compleatly
That’s right. And if you carry all that heavy gear you kinda feel like you HAVE to use it. Even when your instincts are telling you to just shut up and stay on the ground.

You probably don’t qualify as “new” age (not an old joke as I know you have been around one sticking for awhile), but I do believe the number one reason given for rappelling is it’s fun!!!!
For me it’s less about the fun than it is the safety factor. Looking for a better self-rescue system than the accepted standard of hang there till someone can come get you down is what led me to saddle hunting in the first place. Rappelling down, and especially climbing on that rappel rope just made sense. IF something happens at any point in the climb or hunt, it takes so little for me to get down out of the tree safely and quickly.

I’ve tried 2TC climbing back down and it certainly was doable. Much, much easier than trying to 1-stick back down. But for 2 additional pounds it’s hard to beat the benefits of being able to rappel. At least that’s my logic and reasoning and at the end of the day, for me, it’s about being able to get back home safely. With that said I am considering putting together an 8mm Restech tether to have for those deep hunts where that 2 pounds might make a bit of a difference.

For me it’s less about the fun than it is the safety factor. Looking for a better self-rescue system than the accepted standard of hang there till someone can come get you down is what led me to saddle hunting in the first place. Rappelling down, and especially climbing on that rappel rope just made sense. IF something happens at any point in the climb or hunt, it takes so little for me to get down out of the tree safely and quickly.

I’ve tried 2TC climbing back down and it certainly was doable. Much, much easier than trying to 1-stick back down. But for 2 additional pounds it’s hard to beat the benefits of being able to rappel. At least that’s my logic and reasoning and at the end of the day, for me, it’s about being able to get back home safely. With that said I am considering putting together an 8mm Restech tether to have for those deep hunts where that 2 pounds might make a bit of a difference.
I can’t think of any situations that would leave me hanging on a short tether other than unconsciousness and not sure rappelling is an option there either.

In general I wonder if rappelling is a false sense of safety. I’ve read about mechanical failures and accidental tiggers, will these become more frequent as the popularity of rappelling increases.

I rappelled for a season while using multiple sticks as a safety aspect instead of using aiders. Ultimate for me rope hang ups & rope management became not worth it. But during that time I found the mechanical device difficult to work under inclement conditions - cold hands & in rain or just high humidity.

You probably don’t qualify as “new” age (not an old joke as I know you have been around one sticking for awhile), but I do believe the number one reason given for rappelling is it’s fun!!!!
It is fun however, I don't think the fun overcomes the additional weight/bulk/stowing of the rappel line. The reason I rappel with a one stick is I had a couple less than fun descents on sticks and aiders in the dark. My reason for checking out 2TC is because I want a light weight, low drag saddle setup to wear while I am doing a scout and hunt. I don't have an issue descending 2TC unless I get too greedy with my foot tether and then can't reach my tether. :fearscream:

I can’t think of any situations that would leave me hanging on a short tether other than unconsciousness and not sure rappelling is an option there either.

In general I wonder if rappelling is a false sense of safety. I’ve read about mechanical failures and accidental tiggers, will these become more frequent as the popularity of rappelling increases.

I rappelled for a season while using multiple sticks as a safety aspect instead of using aiders. Ultimate for me rope hang ups & rope management became not worth it. But during that time I found the mechanical device difficult to work under inclement conditions - cold hands & in rain or just high humidity.
In our application of rappelling, since it's such a short distance, I personally feel that the only real danger in a rappel is when you rappel on a single device(ex madrock or Fig8) WITHOUT a backup hitch that will truly give you a hands free stop and hold. With one, there is absolutely no danger of bumping or slipping or accidental triggers allowing you to free fall down.

In our application of rappelling, since it's such a short distance, I personally feel that the only real danger in a rappel is when you rappel on a single device(ex madrock or Fig8) WITHOUT a backup hitch that will truly give you a hands free stop and hold. With one, there is absolutely no danger of bumping or slipping or accidental triggers allowing you to free fall down.
A good primary hitch and munter provides all the control I feel I need without fuss or fiddle. And in most every situation where I might need to get to the ground right now, I can.

Back