• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone just use the ring of step?

cheecho67

SH Member
And if so how comfortable is it just to use them? Or should you have a platform also?

For myself the platform, in my case the angled scout from OOAL, is more comfortable for longer sits. When I use just a ring of steps, the squirrel steps, I find I sit more often so there is less pressure on my feet anyway.

I use a ROS with my RDA one stick. Only use the ROS to move around the tree if needed. No problem with comfort.

Yes, a bunch of people do, but my guess is they are the minority, ~10% of saddle hunters. The majority use a platform, I use a combo of platform with ring of steps, best of both worlds, but I've never claimed to be an ultralight guy, I tend to carry too much in to the woods with me.

I have primarily used a ROS for the last 3 years. I have tried a predator platform and it just wasn’t for me. I have a OOAL small platform that I like on small trees but only have used it about 4 times. I love the ability to move around the tree and the ROS does it for me.
However, there are plenty of people that love the platforms on here… it is different for everyone, just embrace your selection and enjoy the hunt.

I seen a video on you tube uses a platform with the ring of steps well actually climbing stick

That's what I did.
Problem with a ROS, time to take a pee, cold weather, need to put on mid layers or coat, ha ha. Need to put on rain gear, good luck with that. Early season, OK, cold weather, forget it.

Screenshot_20240406_202422_Gallery.jpg

I have last 2 years. First few I went back and forth with platform and ROS. But last two I settled in with 6 of the pioneer steps and really like them.

How do y’all carry your ROS? Throw em in a dump and just call it a day?

That is one of the biggest advantages of the Squirrel Steps or the Pioneer Steps, they just pack up so nicely. I just hang this from a clip on the back of my saddle as I walk in or out.

I’ve had the tree hopper steps and they will stack together fairly nicely but they’re much bigger.

IMG_2502.jpeg

That's what I did.
Problem with a ROS, time to take a pee, cold weather, need to put on mid layers or coat, ha ha. Need to put on rain gear, good luck with that. Early season, OK, cold weather, forget it.

View attachment 101551

I would say just climb down, but you can't do that with certain climbing methods.

I go back and forth. Mostly just a ROS. That's how I started 20+ years ago.

I use a ROS exclusively. I climb 2TC. This makes for a very lightweight and compact setup. Most of my sits are 4 to 6 hours but I do quite a few all day sits each season. I use the Pioneer steps (7) on an OCB from Eastern Woods Outdoors.

Attachments

• 2TC oct 28 2.jpg
    2TC oct 28 2.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 19
And if so how comfortable is it just to use them? Or should you have a platform also?
Yes, for a long time. It is perfectly comfortable to use them, you just have to figure out how. You want to put the majority of your weight on your butt in the saddle and use the steps to move around the tree. You can stand on them more for short spells to relieve pressure points on your butt and legs or when you need to get into certain positions for a shot. You do not need a platform also.

Platforms have become all the rage but the ROS is the OG system and there are a lot of benefits to the system.

Back