• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Gear thread

@HuskerInIowa right up your alley!

Bear edition broadheads from Ironwill

1000003816.jpg

Available on 04/30 it looks like.

BT

@HuskerInIowa right up your alley!

Bear edition broadheads from Ironwill

View attachment 102192

Available on 04/30 it looks like.

BT
Or....you can take your existing broadheads to "Things Remembered" (or other engraving store) and they charge $5 for engraving....

BTW, I'm 40 years old, but if anyone of you can spend money for these, I'm available for adoption!

Or....you can take your existing broadheads to "Things Remembered" (or other engraving store) and they charge $5 for engraving....

BTW, I'm 40 years old, but if anyone of you can spend money for these, I'm available for adoption!

I won't be buying these, but I am waiting for their 125g single bevel wide to come available. I tagged husker because he mentioned in the support thread he likes the limited edition ones they release.

BT

Is that price a mistake? When I click the link it initially says $45 then a second later when the page fully loads it jumps to $299

Is that price a mistake? When I click the link it initially says $45 then a second later when the page fully loads it jumps to $299

A glitch in the matrix maybe? $45 seems to be the difference in price from their normal wide broadheads 6 pack of $254.95 and these at $299.95.

BT

Yeah they're quite expensive. I'm still very on the fence over them. Not sure if I want the iron Wills or just stick with a magnus stinger, hornet, or QAD Exodus. Alot of good to be said about the iron Wills, but that price tag is a tough pill to swallow.

BT
I get it. I've gone back and forth if expensive heads are worth it. Especially because it's an item so easily lost or destroyed.

My take is, I wait all year for that 1 MAYBE 2 opportunitys at a mature buck. Deer hunting doesn't consume my life, but it is my biggest passion and hobby. When that golden moment finally presents itself that I wanted and fantasized about all year, I want every advantage in my corner.

We spend comical amounts of money on saddles, stands, climbing sticks, clothes, gas, paying for leases, land purchased, snacks on stand etc etc. And yet, the ONLY thing at the end of the day that takes home that deer is your broadhead. It does 100% of the work. I want it to count.

Last edited:
I get it. I've gone back and forth if expensive heads are worth it. Especially because it's an item so easily lost or destroyed.

My take is, I wait all year for that 1 MAYBE 2 opportunitys at a mature buck. Deer hunting doesn't consume my life, but it is my biggest passion and hobby. When that golden moment finally presents itself that I wanted and fantasized about all year, I want every advantage in my corner.

We spend comical amounts of money on saddles, stands, climbing sticks, clothes, gas, paying for leases, land purchased, snacks on stand etc etc. And yet, the ONLY thing at the end of the day that takes home that deer is your broadhead. It does 100% of the work. I want it to count.
I used Iron Will before. Got my first deer using one. But I'm switching back to Magnus Stinger for one simple reason. I SUCK at sharpening, and l have ruin half of my Iron Will trying to sharpen them. I just can't. But with the Magnus, it take 30 seconds on a Rada. I know my limits and weakeness....

I used Iron Will before. Got my first deer using one. But I'm switching back to Magnus Stinger for one simple reason. I SUCK at sharpening, and l have ruin half of my Iron Will trying to sharpen them. I just can't. But with the Magnus, it take 30 seconds on a Rada. I know my limits and weakeness....

That's one of my concerns with them, because I suck at sharpening too. But, if I order, I plan to order 6. That gives me one to practice with, 1 backup, and 4 to keep in my quiver. Should be a good long while before I have to learn to sharpen one.

BT

Iron Wills are brain dead easy to sharpen. Maybe pricey to sharpen, but easy. You need the KME jig and diamond plates. I did this in not even 15 minutes with mine1000020955.jpg

Last edited:
That's one of my concerns with them, because I suck at sharpening too. But, if I order, I plan to order 6. That gives me one to practice with, 1 backup, and 4 to keep in my quiver. Should be a good long while before I have to learn to sharpen one.

BT
Id recommend just buying 3 and then buy extra blades. You can goob up 1 blade practicing, use the goobed head to sight in, then pop in a fresh blade and go hunting.

I've seen this KME jig mentioned before, but seems there are several options. Can you link the exact one that is used for these?

BT
This is how it's done.

Obviously the jig, along with the high angle spacer. You need the delta jaws if you don't want to take the blade off from the ferrule.

I would strongly recommend the Sharpal dual sided diamond stone. Sandpaper doesn't cut it with steel this hard. It can work, but you'll use tons of sandpaper.

The IW heads do come alive pretty easy. Diamond plates are a must. I’ve had good luck with the stay sharp stuff too. I’m going to try the work sharp tower this summer

The IW heads do come alive pretty easy. Diamond plates are a must. I’ve had good luck with the stay sharp stuff too. I’m going to try the work sharp tower this summer
Cannot articulate how much I don't like staysharp. Ron has some helpful guides on achieving sharpness but his guides suck. The blade edge has to be positioned perfectly parallel to the roller guide, which is a non issue on the KME. Then on alot of his models you need to use tape on the rollers to adjust the angle, which is an extremely tedious process. Finally because it's 3d printed you have some garbo tolerances on them. The fixed blade model couldn't hold a blade to save its life the 3d printing was so crappy.

The kme fixes every frustration of the stayjunk line and worth every penny

Iron Wills are brain dead easy to sharpen. Maybe pricey to sharpen, but easy. You need the KME jig and diamond plates. I did this in not even 15 minutes with mineView attachment 102247
Yup, I'm fully aware it's me and I'm in awe at your skill. That look amazing. No joke, if you are offering sharpening service, let me know. But I come to accept my limited time and have to be realistic about best use. 15 min to sharpening a broadhead or use that time to actually shoot my bow.....

My skill with a bow need a lot more sharpening.......

Yup, I'm fully aware it's me and I'm in awe at your skill. That look amazing. No joke, if you are offering sharpening service, let me know. But I come to accept my limited time and have to be realistic about best use. 15 min to sharpening a broadhead or use that time to actually shoot my bow.....

I dunno smells like a whole lot of excuses... Jk

I’m with you. But for me it’s the hours required to research what tool and parts and pieces I need, how they go together, how to use properly, what else can I use this additional tool for(knives I assume but I have what I consider an acceptable method for that), where will I mount the tool, where will I store the tool… all before I’ve had enough interest to research the features and reason why I want to pay such a significant premium to maintain a broadhead myself rather than buy a new one when it gets damaged.

After all, the broadhead is the part pulling back my bow, timing, aiming, releasing, pulling the arrow through the air and stabilizing its flight, and of course killing the deer… shouldn’t I trust it to the factory to get it right? :wink:

Back