• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

I debated posting this in the food thread but since its timely I'll post it here. The wife made THP's Wild Turkey Teriyaki Stir Fry for dinner tonight . . . Mmmmmmm.

I wish I'd remembered to take a picture before I emptied my plate but honestly it was too good to think about pics. The only difference was we substituted water chestnuts for the zucchini and served it over rice. I highly recommend this recipe for wild turkey.

I tried it it with the breast off of my bird and it was very good.

I also pressure cooked the legs from my bird and made a big batch of turkey & egg salad for sandwiches while I was in Colorado.

What a day. As I went to go to those birds roosted, someone beat me to the punch. I could hear them gobbling like crazy but also heard the very distinct sound of awful sounding owl hooting. Nothing agitates me like someone working the same bird as me so I backed off and went the other way. I actually know the kid who was working them and he's a good guy(know his car). Beat me to em fair and square. Was a little dismayed as I was hunting blind and wasn't sure anything was around.

I got about 400 yards from those birds and starting calling. I immediately struck a bird not 150 yards away, probably closer. Sat right down and waited. He gobbled just once. Never came in and never made another sound. Vanished like Houdini.

Shot rang out at 730 where that kid was hunting. Good on him.

Wasn't long after that I struck another two birds, both a long way off. I moved quick to cut the distance and got significantly closer when they gobbled again. Maybe 200 yards away at the most. Once again I sat down hoping to work the birds. They never made another peep. After 830 I never heard another bird.

Fun but frustrating day. Gunna have another go tomorrow

What a day. As I went to go to those birds roosted, someone beat me to the punch. I could hear them gobbling like crazy but also heard the very distinct sound of awful sounding owl hooting. Nothing agitates me like someone working the same bird as me so I backed off and went the other way. I actually know the kid who was working them and he's a good guy(know his car). Beat me to em fair and square. Was a little dismayed as I was hunting blind and wasn't sure anything was around.

I got about 400 yards from those birds and starting calling. I immediately struck a bird not 150 yards away, probably closer. Sat right down and waited. He gobbled just once. Never came in and never made another sound. Vanished like Houdini.

Wasn't long after that I struck another two birds, both a long way off. I moved quick to cut the distance and got significantly closer when they gobbled again. Maybe 200 yards away at the most. Once again I sat down hoping to work the birds. They never made another peep. After 830 I never heard another bird.

After this year I want to sell my owl hooter. I bought one thinking it can’t hurt to have in the arsenal. Reason to sell it? I’m so sick of hearing them I don’t wanna add to my crazy high count.

(Pulls up to hunting area. Gets out immediately and slams car door. Owl hoots 30 times within 5 minutes. Don’t hear anything? Drive 300 yards down the road and do it all again) I can’t tell you how many times I heard people do this. Even if i was parked there.

After this year I want to sell my owl hooter. I bought one thinking it can’t hurt to have in the arsenal. Reason to sell it? I’m so sick of hearing them I don’t wanna add to my crazy high count.

(Pulls up to hunting area. Gets out immediately and slams car door. Owl hoots 30 times within 5 minutes. Don’t hear anything? Drive 300 yards down the road and do it all again) I can’t tell you how many times I heard people do this. Even if i was parked there.
Who cooks for you

If you’re in a good spot you don’t need to hoot owl. They’ll sound off. I do believe they get conditioned to it as well, especially the older gobblers. Back in my teens I was prospecting a wooded farmland back home and the owl hooting at daybreak and crow calling and hawk screaming all throughout the morning. Never heard one gobble. At around 9 am or so out of desperation I pulled my box out and let out some cuts and a three note yelp…. (Cutt, cutt,cutt-yeeawk, yeeawk-yeeawk) Ggggggoooooobbbbbllllleeee! Not even 50 yards away…… I sat right down pulled my face mask up and no sooner had I gotten the gun up he was there coming from my right to left at maybe ten yards Maxx!!! Wham! I missed!!! Or so I thought. I searched and searched nothing. His beard must have been 13” he was incredible……. Two days later I found him about 75 yards away from where I shot…. Same long beard.. immense hooks….. wasted meat but I tagged him. He was so used to locator calling he never shock gobbled until I hit him with turkey talk. If I’m hearing a lot of other hunters hooting and what not I try to switch it up. But usually they just sound off.

Last edited:
Had an amazing down to the last day of the season hunt with my daughter. All season she never complained about 4:45 wake ups or failures or seeing birds out of range. She even told me she was hearing gobbles in her sleep she wanted a bird so bad.

She finally learned what perseverance is about and why we are the way we are when it comes to hunting animals properly. This is her first turkey! 410 with Federal TSS at 30 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpeg
    IMG_5498.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5500.jpeg
    IMG_5500.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
Had an amazing down to the last day of the season hunt with my daughter. All season she never complained about 4:45 wake ups or failures or seeing birds out of range. She even told me she was hearing gobbles in her sleep she wanted a bird so bad.

She finally learned what perseverance is about and why we are the way we are when it comes to hunting animals properly. This is her first turkey! 410 with Federal TSS at 30 yards.
As the father of a daughter who loves to hunt turkeys I have to say "That's Awesome! Congratulations!".

LOL. First of all, the owl hoot has never seemed very effective for me up here so I don't even use it. That said, I pulled up to a spot on Thursday morning where I'd had some early morning gobbles early in the season. I got out of the truck shortly before roost gooble time and just stood beside it. My intention was to just listen for a gooble and then head toward its direction to set up for the morning calling.

I stood there listening for at least 15 minutes as it slowly got more daylight and never heard a gooble. However during that time I listened to a never ceasing series of owl hoots about a 1/4 mile north of me. Near as I could tell there were 3 guys all together hooting non-stop.

I gave up on the spot and hopped back in the truck. As I headed north I went by a clearing on the road with two campers in it that hadn't been there the day before. My best guess is they came up for their Saturday season opener and where hoping to locate a morning bird. It wouldn't have mattered if they were getting responses though, they never would have heard them over the nonstop racket they were making.

Congrats on a job well done. Awesome!!

Good Work!! Great to see young girls getting into hunting. Congrats to you both!

Still 2 birds out there. Good Luck... go get'em!!

LOL. First of all, the owl hoot has never seemed very effective for me up here so I don't even use it. That said, I pulled up to a spot on Thursday morning where I'd had some early morning gobbles early in the season. I got out of the truck shortly before roost gooble time and just stood beside it. My intention was to just listen for a gooble and then head toward its direction to set up for the morning calling.

I stood there listening for at least 15 minutes as it slowly got more daylight and never heard a gooble. However during that time I listened to a never ceasing series of owl hoots about a 1/4 mile north of me. Near as I could tell there were 3 guys all together hooting non-stop.

I gave up on the spot and hopped back in the truck. As I headed north I went by a clearing on the road with two campers in it that hadn't been there the day before. My best guess is they came up for their Saturday season opener and where hoping to locate a morning bird. It wouldn't have mattered if they were getting responses though, they never would have heard them over the nonstop racket they were making.

I got out one day here in NY for a hunt with my brother. No gobbling at daybreak, but we did manage to call an owl into our decoy. I had the best vantage and was laughing to myself watching it close distance tree to tree. My brother knew something was up when I started making soft clucks and purrs, and when the owl responded I saw his glance lift from the horizon to that darn bird of another species.

We got skunked, but it was a hoot nonetheless.

Pretty awesome morning for someone that has no birds in his area anymore! :tonguewink: Now go close this chapter....

7cf043a4bd457f28adb5121755c9793d.jpg

It’s hard to beat finding one all fired up and no hens. Strutting and gobbling right down the gun barrel makes for a great start to the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good job sir. Congrats

Covered 7 miles. Not single gobble. Walked up upon a Jake that I let go.

Going for a Starbucks and lunch. Then spending the entire afternoon scouting

I have holosuns but how do you like the FF3 if you have one?
This will be my first one, been using the AT3 tactical ARO off of Amazon. They've been good for the last 4 years I've been using em. Had issues with one turning off on recoil but AT3 replaced it.

The AT3 and FF3 are on the same footprint.

Back