• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

Bowtie747

SH Member
Yep, couldn’t wait anymore! What’s everyone up to turkey wise rn? Anyone even on it or am I alone here? Ha I’ve been Practicing with my calls, planning (maybe) out of state trips, buying guns.

Got a Mossberg 500 turkey this year which will probably be my primary gun. Hoping to get it sighted in here soon with some tss. Still trying to figure out what will be the backup gun.

Changing up my optics this year. Switching from Vortex Venom red dots to Holosun’s. Hoping I don’t regret this.

Continuing my quest to get one with my bow. Part of it for the challenge, part of it because even if I fail it’s the longest season so I get the most time outdoors. I picked up a new blind but I’m likely both increasing and decreasing my chances since a big part of buying it was so I can take a kid along more often, that doesn’t tend to boost success rates but we’ll have fun.

I think I’m going to upgrade my decoy, probably will just get 1 new one but maybe two. I look at them every year and am finally telling myself the one I got that my dad used in the 90’s is fine but there have been some improvements in the industry that might help me.

seriously I'm not even remotely ready to think about gobblers. Its prime shed hunting and scouting season. Them birds will be persecuted by every other critter in the woods for a couple more months before they get my a taster of my steely eyed gaze.

I think about them every day of the yr! I hate GA has had the decline in birds we have had. 10 yrs ago we were a destination state for Easterns. I’m hoping to get to Iowa to shoot one this yr, we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get to practicing with the mouth calls. I am at the point where can speak turkey well enough to fool coyotes and deer, lol. I just have to do it when my wife isn't here. My big turkey hunting buddy and I were texting yesterday about just that. I still have deer to chase until sundown on Wednesday so for the immediate future I will just work on the deer.

Everything else is in place and ready to go.

I was shed hunting/predator calling/deer and turkey scouting yesterday and I heard a flock about 80-100 yards away with a hen aggressively assembly yelping in several series….. it got me to thinking about turkeys again. Found a lot of j hook droppings too. I’ve had a gobbler flock on my cameras a couple of times too so far this winter.

I mostly archery hunt them now especially on the primary private tract(s) I hunt but last year I was gifted an old turkey gun from someone who can no longer hunt. It’s just an H&R 3” 12 but it has upgraded sights and a super full Turkey choke on it. Throws a pretty good pattern too. I gave it a face lift and it’s so light, I’ll take it on some run and gun hunts on public.

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2771.jpeg
    IMG_2771.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 42
Continuing my quest to get one with my bow. Part of it for the challenge, part of it because even if I fail it’s the longest season so I get the most time outdoors. I picked up a new blind but I’m likely both increasing and decreasing my chances since a big part of buying it was so I can take a kid along more often, that doesn’t tend to boost success rates but we’ll have fun.

I think I’m going to upgrade my decoy, probably will just get 1 new one but maybe two. I look at them every year and am finally telling myself the one I got that my dad used in the 90’s is fine but there have been some improvements in the industry that might help me.
Ik a guy named Dave, last name smith who can hook you up! Haha

Yep, couldn’t wait anymore! What’s everyone up to turkey wise rn? Anyone even on it or am I alone here? Ha I’ve been Practicing with my calls, planning (maybe) out of state trips, buying guns.

Got a Mossberg 500 turkey this year which will probably be my primary gun. Hoping to get it sighted in here soon with some tss. Still trying to figure out what will be the backup gun.

Changing up my optics this year. Switching from Vortex Venom red dots to Holosun’s. Hoping I don’t regret this.
I just got a Venom, what didn’t ya like?

I just got a Venom, what didn’t ya like?
Honestly? No reason other than battery life. Holosun is like 50,000 hours on setting 6.

Venom is 150 on highest setting to 3000 hours on lowest. Probably never be an issue and never was just didn’t like it in my head.

Other than they I’ve liked all the venoms I’ve had. Hoping I don’t regret switching.

I don’t use a sight anymore. If I were to put a sight on a shotgun it would be a Burris Speed Bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ik a guy named Dave, last name smith who can hook you up! Haha
Yeah I’m about 99.9% sure I’m going to cave and go that direction after looking into them. Tried talking myself into some lower priced ones at Bass Pro today and left empty handed instead, more or less thinking those Dave Smith ones look so good that now that I know about them it’s hard to go a different route.

Yeah I’m about 99.9% sure I’m going to cave and go that direction after looking into them. Tried talking myself into some lower priced ones at Bass Pro today and left empty handed instead, more or less thinking those Dave Smith ones look so good that now that I know about them it’s hard to go a different
Higdon Decoys are pretty good and less expensive. They are a bit bulky to carry but what isn’t for bowhunting turkeys.

I think I’m just staying home this year. Will try with the bow but my main focus is my son. Second year hunting and he slammed a giant for the area last year. Spoiled with a double beard for his first bird.

We’re ready, my son and I. We drew a couple tags on some public land for opening weekend here in TN. Thinking we’re going to maybe go camp and just make it good trip. We’ve been running dog proof traps on our place since deer season closed here. I try and keep the varmint numbers somewhat down here. I’m thinking I’m going to shoot a single shot Steven’s 20 gauge that I picked up at a yard sale last summer. No red dot, no screw in choke loaded with some longbeard #5’s. I’ve killed them with semi auto’s, looking through red dots blasting hand loaded TSS. This year I want to do something different.

I shot many turkeys with a 500. I bought a stoeger p3500 this year I'm getting set up for this season.

Back